EXHAUSTED after lifting!

Options
I woke up this morning, got my workout in and then ate lunch...crashed right after. Sitting on the couch and can hardly keep my eyes open kind of crash.

This always happens to me after lifting and I am not finding a solution on my own. I used to love lifting...but this was something that really deterred me from continuing to do so. With cardio, I just feel so energized after a workout. With lifting all I want to do is sleep!

I got my protein source, some carbs in right after lifting...any other ideas?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating in total? How long is your workout and at what intensity? What do you weigh?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I figure it's because I am still eating at a deficit and my youngest is still waking me up at night (so I don't get enough sleep). Lucky for me, I'm a stay at home mom and can just take a nap when my boys take their nap.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Me too. I think because it is a high intensity exercise. You put an all out effort then rest and repeat. I'm usually wiped out after a session. I even get sleepy looking eyes --like I just woke up.
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Same here. I wind up taking a long nap after weight training.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I am eating around 1800-1900 calories..some days more as I am trying to break the "have to be in a deficit" mentality as I am now in maintenance.

I am 5'7, 145lbs. I do turbo fire with an additional 10lb pack on, for about 20-30 mins, then 30 mins of lifting strong lifts 5x5 and some strong curves about every 2nd day. I do something lighter almost every day (walking the dog, biking)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    I am eating around 1800-1900 calories..some days more as I am trying to break the "have to be in a deficit" mentality as I am now in maintenance.

I am 5'7, 145lbs. I do turbo fire with an additional 10lb pack on, for about 20-30 mins, then 30 mins of lifting strong lifts 5x5 and some strong curves about every 2nd day. I do something lighter almost every day (walking the dog, biking)

How are you doing both Stronglifts and Strong Curves in 30 minutes?

Why so much?
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am just the opposite...cardio wears me out. Make sure you eat before you work out...you need fuel to get thru.....and have a protein shake right after with some fruit in it if you like. You may be doing too much. If i lift and do cardio right after....i am done for the day. So i will separate it sometimes. Not sure what kind of deficit you are eating at but, you need fuel to feel good and keep going.
  • dakotababy
    Options

Why so much?

I do stronglifts, with all of the lifts based on the program schedule. I throw in a few more moves from strong curves to focus more on the glutes, like some hip thrusts, clams, etc (not an entire program schedule) So basically, strong lifts + a few extra exercises.

• 3dogsrunning
    Options

Why so much?

I do stronglifts, with all of the lifts based on the program schedule. I throw in a few more moves from strong curves to focus more on the glutes, like some hip thrusts, clams, etc (not an entire program schedule) So basically, strong lifts + a few extra exercises.

In 30 minutes?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

If that's your ongoing activity level you should be able to eat more and maintain. I would up your calories by 100-150 per day each week. Keep an eye on the scale. You may gain a pound or two immediately but it will be water/glycogen, not fat. I would think you could eat 2350+ at maintenence.
  • rileyes
    Options
    I add Strong Curves accessories to SL5x5 too. My sessions are around an hour. Are you not counting the rest periods?
  • dakotababy
    Options

Why so much?

In 30 minutes?

I dont know what you are doing when you lift weights, but yes - I get my lifting done in about 30mins.
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited August 2015
    Options

Why so much?

In 30 minutes?

I dont know what you are doing when you lift weights, but yes - I get my lifting done in about 30mins.

I've done both Stronglifts and Strong Curves. I've never finished Stronglifts in 30 minutes with the prescribed minimum rest periods. Nor Strong Curves although I understand you aren't running the whole SC program.

ETA - I used the app with the timer
  • missg6984
    missg6984 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your diet is off.
  • dakotababy
    Options
    I also track with bodymedia - I go by the calories given by the device, aiming to hit maintenance. Possibly more on some days.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Are you doing warm up sets at all? Are you supersetting everything?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Why so much?

In 30 minutes?

Are you taking the minimum 90 sec rest between sets?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts should have 90 seconds to 3 minutes between sets depending on how difficult they are. So, the first few weeks can be about 30 minutes but it certainly shouldn't be after that.
  • dakotababy
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Basically how I do it, is I switch moves fairly quickly without too much just sitting around doing nothing (im not one to sit and stare at my cellphone while im at the gym)

I do 5x OHP, get down and do some hip thrusts, Do 5x OHP, get down do some clams. Then I might do 2x5 OHP, do more hip thrusts, then OHP - prep for next lift. I do my 5x5 squats with breaks. Then I will likely do 5x bench, do some hip thrusts...you get the point. I just dont do the same muscle back to back, but rest the legs - do the arms and viceversa. During my entire workout, I have a Turbo Fire workout playing on the tv. If I need to shake out my muscles, I will get up and do a bit of that then continue with the weights. 1 hour total, about 50% cardio/50% weights on average.

ETA - I do 1 day with the workout A plan, then the next with Workout B plan...but always with turbo and some extra strong curves moves. Every 2-3 days. Walking/cycling very light on my days off.
  • rileyes
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I eat a lot. I drink 2-3 liters of water (during the session). The lifting wipes me out when I put an all out effort into it (when I lift very heavy weights). I could do the SL 5x5 in under 30 minutes with no warm-ups.