Slooooooowwwwwww........

Options
I was scared to step on the scale....I am down 4 pounds in 3 weeks. Doesn't seem like outstanding dedicated work. I've been exercising a lot (60 minutes of aerobic activities three times a week and weights twice a week) and I feel like I've lost more than 4 pounds (maybe 7 or 8).

Patience is a virtue and I've heard slow weight loss is best, but boy oh boy the reality of it can be discouraging.
I am 50 and 5'4". Do you think I need to cut my calories more? (I am eating 1480 and eating back half of my aerobic calories based on what mfp calculates).

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    1.33 pounds per week seems pretty reasonable to me.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    50andfabu wrote: »
    Do you think I need to cut my calories more? (I am eating 1480 and eating back half of my aerobic calories based on what mfp calculates).

No...4 lbs in 3 weeks is a perfectly healthy and normal rate of weight loss. Congrats, and keep at it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    4 pounds in 3 weeks is good!

you certainly didnt gain all your weight quickly....
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    That's about the rate I lose and it suits me just fine!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You're doing really well! No, don't cut your calories. It's working!

It just takes time, that's all. Be patient. Stick with the program and you'll see the results!
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    also drink green tea and lots of water. But your rate of loss is great. If you cut too much you will most like fall of and eat some thing (or alot of bad things) give it time
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Glad to hear it's not unusual. I guess I was hoping for magic!!!! On the positive side, I will say that my current way of eating is sustainable and has not be too hard to follow (although there have been moments)
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    <--Those results are 3lbs loss in 4 weeks. Definitely a difference! I also do cardio 3 times a week and weights twice a week and eat around the same calories you do, I work a desk job. Try taking pictures instead of using the scale if you get discouraged. Slow weight loss will teach you how to break your old eating habits and keep them from coming back. Good luck with your goals and you can add me as a friend if you like, we have similar stats :)
    I was scared to step on the scale....I am down 4 pounds in 3 weeks. Doesn't seem like outstanding dedicated work. I've been exercising a lot (60 minutes of aerobic activities three times a week and weights twice a week) and I feel like I've lost more than 4 pounds (maybe 7 or 8).

Patience is a virtue and I've heard slow weight loss is best, but boy oh boy the reality of it can be discouraging.
    I am 50 and 5'4". Do you think I need to cut my calories more? (I am eating 1480 and eating back half of my aerobic calories based on what mfp calculates).
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    That's a GREAT loss for someone of your age/height. Keep it up!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There are always moments! :D Seriously, the rate at which you're losing is great. Weight loss is a slow process, don't let the media with it's "Biggest Loser" and "She lost 90 pounds in 90 days doing this one simple trick" fool you into thinking otherwise. There are benefits to losing weight more slowly including less loose skin when you're done, less lean muscle lost during the process and a better idea how to eat to actually maintain your loss once you reach goal.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! You are prob losing inches too which is why you feel
    Like u lost more. Be sure to weigh first thing in morn after eliminating and before eating or drinking anything. Keep going!
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing very well! I wouldn't change anything. Just be persistent and patient.
  • SueInAz
    edited August 2015
    Options
    1961dublin wrote: »

Yes sorry to say I think you have to cut more. I am 54 and also 5ft4ins. I fast 3 or days a week. Thats 2, zero cals days and 1 or 2 at 500 cals. The weight crawls off me at a rate of about .2kgs or .3kgs per week. I am near maintance and I dont have much to loose, hence the slow loss. How far are you from your healthy weight?

I'm a couple of years younger and about the same height. Why would you be doing this to yourself? Starving yourself 3 or 4 days each week is not the answer. You're losing muscle mass doing this which is lowering your metabolism and will only make things much harder on you as time goes along. If you've been eating like this every time you wanted to drop weight your whole life it's no wonder you are having such a hard time. It'll only get worse each succeeding time.

How much are you eating on the days you actually eat? Are you at least averaging 1200 calories per day over the week? If not, I'd seriously rethink your approach. Also, add strength training to try to retain more of your muscle mass.
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Yes sorry to say I think you have to cut more. I am 54 and also 5ft4ins. I fast 3 or days a week. Thats 2, zero cals days and 1 or 2 at 500 cals. The weight crawls off me at a rate of about .2kgs or .3kgs per week. I am near maintance and I dont have much to loose, hence the slow loss. How far are you from your healthy weight?

I don't mind cutting another 100 calories (or working it off), but fasting is not for me, thanks. My family, friends, and colleagues would not survive it!! I need my blood sugar steady or I get super cranky.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

If she's losing at a steady rate, why would she need to cut more???

As for the rest, I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

OP, this is terrible advice. Please don't do this.
  • tabletmfp
    tabletmfp Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I aim for 1400 call on non fast days. I am not loosing muscle mass which is one of the main advantages of short term fasting. I agree that strength training would be good, but mentally I am not ready for that yet.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    tabletmfp wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. I aim for 1400 call on non fast days. I am not loosing muscle mass which is one of the main advantages of short term fasting. I agree that strength training would be good, but mentally I am not ready for that yet.

That averages out to 614-871calories a day. Please don't recommend this to other users -- it's against TOS.

Also, why would you recommend that someone who is successfully losing at a good rate switch to this punishing plan that will target her muscle mass?
  • SueInAz
    Options
    tabletmfp wrote: »
    Wait.... are you the same person who posted the fasting recommendation? With a different user name? That's more than a little odd.

Averaging less than 900 calories per day is not only not recommended for anyone (at least not without close doctor supervision and usually some form of medication) advising others to do the same is reckless. I'm sorry but you can't convince me that you're not losing muscle mass eating so little without doing any strength training. Everyone loses muscle mass while losing weight, regardless of the method. The extent of that loss that is determined but what you're eating, how much you're eating and what you're doing with your muscles during that time.

You're welcome to continue your self-destructive diet if you wish but please don't go around recommending it to others. You aren't doing them any favors by doing so.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options

Do not follow this advice!