Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Cheesecake isn't prepackaged..... I like cheesecake :smiley:

I am very well known in my circle for my cheesecakes, especially my key lime cheesecake. The only packaging I do is a layer of Saran Wrap and my Tupperware pie carrier.

• rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Since when does scanning a barcode mean you don't weigh your food?

I love doing both. Yay for convenience and accuracy!

This is what I was thinking. Why does using a barcode mean you can't also weigh the food? It's way faster than searching for the product first (at least on the app that I log my food on, which I believe is still similar to MFP).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    rhyolite_ wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Since when does scanning a barcode mean you don't weigh your food?

I love doing both. Yay for convenience and accuracy!

This is what I was thinking. Why does using a barcode mean you can't also weigh the food? It's way faster than searching for the product first (at least on the app that I log my food on, which I believe is still similar to MFP).

Many either can't or don't want to weigh their food at work. Many also like taking prepared meals to work for the convenience of it. Personally, I eat a frozen dinner maybe once every 2 months or so. I don't worry about if it is off or not. If I ate them a couple of times a week, yes I would definitely weigh them.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    UprightMan wrote: »
    Enjoy your cancer.

Hey, jack a**, the person directly above your post has cancer. Well done. You are the definition of douchenozzle.
    QFT

He should change his username to BarelyUprightMan. Found an avatar for him, too.
    Poster_of_the_movie_The_Neanderthal_Man.jpg

Yes, but then an ED (not Education Department or eating disorder think people) company would track him down and make him their spokesperson. hehehe

LMAO!

And Cindy, you're a better person than I, my friend.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    UprightMan wrote: »
    Enjoy your cancer.

Hey, jack a**, the person directly above your post has cancer. Well done. You are the definition of douchenozzle.
    QFT

He should change his username to BarelyUprightMan. Found an avatar for him, too.
    Poster_of_the_movie_The_Neanderthal_Man.jpg

Yes, but then an ED (not Education Department or eating disorder think people) company would track him down and make him their spokesperson. hehehe

LMAO!

And Cindy, you're a better person than I, my friend.

o:)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    about pre-packaged, processed food products. They sure are easy to log in with the bar code scanner.

If only they tasted as good as my homemade meals.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    khristiana wrote: »
    They might be easier to scan into the database, but they are exponentially worse for you, health wise. I'll take my time preparing my food :smile:

Oh nos! The bag of fresh clementines I just bought last night has a bar code on the bag! I'd better throw them out, then!

Evil, evil processing.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    about pre-packaged, processed food products. They sure are easy to log in with the bar code scanner.

Easy, eh?

Well, lowest common denominator...
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    So, I planned on having a hamburger patty with dinner the other night and when I went to the food data base in MFP found more than several hamburger patties listed with different calorie counts. I went back to my freezer and scaned the bar code from the box and got what I thought was accurate information about THOSE patties. I added that info into the rest of my meal and went on my happy way. I thought I'd share this with the community. Thought that maybe this might be a little helpful. Guess I was wrong. Sorry to have bothered some of you.

azulviolera6; Do you really think insults add to the conversation?
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options

lol....weigh it sometime....

i weigh my bread and it is often quite a bit off....i do eat processed prepackaged stuff often enough, but i'd watch that. they're easy to log, but the calorie count can be pretty off, which won't matter with a lot to lose. but with very little to lose, every little bit counts.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I use the barcode scanner on occasion but I still weigh out what was in the package because sometimes the labels are off.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I actually wonder if the '20% variation from the label' takes into account the fact that some products weigh more... or if it's 20% on top of that...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Cheesecake isn't prepackaged..... I like cheesecake :smiley:

I am very well known in my circle for my cheesecakes, especially my key lime cheesecake. The only packaging I do is a layer of Saran Wrap and my Tupperware pie carrier.

I need the recipe for your key lime cheesecake.

I've never used the scanner. I don't even know if my phone would do it. Anyway, I have too much fun seeing how off the weight is in packaged items.

My favorite is the 454 gram bag of frozen spinach from Trader Joe's. I use the whole bag when I make my spinach-feta quiche. There's always so much more spinach in there!

My son likes weighing my Quest bars. He gets a kick out of finding a new "record-setting" high and low weight. So far, the heaviest bar has been 68 grams, and the lightest has been 52.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I am so excited! I will be starting as an on call personal trainer with an organization that runs over 13 private health clubs after I had a practical interview yesterday and getting a good review. :):DB)o:):o<3
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I am so excited! I will be starting as an on call personal trainer with an organization that runs over 13 private health clubs after I had a practical interview yesterday and getting a good review. :):DB)o:):o<3

Say, what? :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Easy, eh?

Well, lowest common denominator...

Says the woman logging in ounces and volume measurements.

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    irenehb wrote: »
    irenehb wrote: »
    Nutritional Information on Pre-packaged foods have a margin of error up to 20%.

That 500 calorie pre-packaged food you just scanned, could really be 600 calories.

Just saying...

Or it could be 400.

Unlikely to be less, otherwise the company is ripping you off by not giving you the quantity stated on the packet.
    From my experience of weighing packed food since start of October 2013, less than 5% have weighed less than what has been stated, very few even weigh the amount stated. Most weigh more than what is stated, so scanning will be underestimating the amount of calories you are consuming.

If they are allowed to be within a certain margin and are within a certain margin, then they are not ripping you off.

In Australia, they are required to provide the minimum quantity, maybe differs where you live.
    Nevertheless, as I said I have been weighing packed items for well over a year and very few weigh less or even the stated amount, most weigh more. For those who eat packed items regularly, they are eating more calories than they think, on average.

Yep. Weigh that stuff, if you can. It's a good idea, to make sure you're not going over your calories. Especially if it's a calorie dense food.

I never realized the calories could be off. I'm glad I read this!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I actually wonder if the '20% variation from the label' takes into account the fact that some products weigh more... or if it's 20% on top of that...

The "20% variation allowance" in nutrition labeling is intended to allow room for the natural variation in agricultural products and is not related to the variation of product weight in the package.

Suppose a bag of dry rice says 1/4 cup (45g) serving is 150 calories, the FDA regulations allow for a particular sample of 45g to actually measure between 120 and 180. Yes, that is a big range, but for certain foods have a lot more variation than others and is a compromise to avoid needing to set extremely granular requirements by type of food.

Weighing food can't remove that source of error, but it does avoid compounding that error with variation in the amount of product in a package or measuring out a portion from a bulk package with cups/spoons/etc.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

81l05t4u340p.gif

WTH does this have to do with scanning bar codes on packaged food?
    thats-enough-internet-cat-mother-meme.gif