Beets - for those that hate beets

Need2Exerc1se
Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
Anyone have any good beet recipes for those that aren't crazy about beets. I realize roasted is popular, but that didn't cut it. Anyone got any other recipes for beets that might be palatable to those who turn up their noses at this nutritious vegetable?

Replies

• brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    If you don't like beets (or any other food), why try to find it made in a way you would eat it. For me, life is too short to try to eat something I don't like. Too many other good healthy nutritious things out there. :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    brandi712 wrote: »
    If you don't like beets (or any other food), why try to find it made in a way you would eat it. For me, life is too short to try to eat something I don't like. Too many other good healthy nutritious things out there. :)

I never said I didn't like them.
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    I meant "you" as a generalization since your post was "for those that hate beets". That is all.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited August 2015
    brandi712 wrote: »
    I meant "you" as a generalization since your post was "for those that hate beets". That is all.

I grow a lot of beets because I love beet greens. Nobody else in my family likes the beetroot. Just thinking someone else here might have some recipes that have worked for them.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    I chop up the beet greens and nuke them and eat them with butter. Same with beets. Also cold as salad. You could probably whirl them into a soup. Borscht is yummy too.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Chocolate beet cake. It is moist and has a wonderful earthy taste that makes the chocolate very bold and satisfying.
    Jamie uses raw shredded. Beware, of course, the stained hands. I've just cooked the beets and shredded after. I don't find a difference beyond ease of cleanup.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/epic-chocolate-and-beetroot-cake/#GJjEAAbYZqcLKH4f.97
  • Need2Exerc1se
    aledba wrote: »
    Chocolate beet cake. It is moist and has a wonderful earthy taste that makes the chocolate very bold and satisfying.
    Jamie uses raw shredded. Beware, of course, the stained hands. I've just cooked the beets and shredded after. I don't find a difference beyond ease of cleanup.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/epic-chocolate-and-beetroot-cake/#GJjEAAbYZqcLKH4f.97

Well now that looks interesting. Thanks!
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    No problem. I've made it at Halloween in the form of cupcakes with a spooky pink buttercream (not spooky at all hahaha beet coloured) and they were very well received. People were shocked to hear they had eaten beets and loved them!
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    The only time I enjoy them are in fruit smoothies. Even then it has a touch of dirt flavor but you can hide it well with stronger flavored fruits like pineapple and raspberries.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I like them roasted and then chopped up with creamy horseradish and chives
  • RinnyBlush
    RinnyBlush Posts: 29 Member
    Slice them thin, roast them a bit, and then use them as a pizza/flatbread topping with fresh basil and goat cheese. It's seriously amazing!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    They are less bad sliced, drizzled with olive oil and roasted.
    Hubby puts them in shakes with the nutribullet.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    edited August 2015
    Borscht !!!! YUM!!! With fresh dill and sour cream
  • curvy_gamer_loses
    curvy_gamer_loses Posts: 126 Member
    I like nearly all fruits/veggies except beets. I've only ever had them from a jar. I want to like them....I might have to try the cake and roasting them.. or the pizza idea as well.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    I love beets. I boil them and eat them.
    I forgot; before I eat them , I peel them.
    I agree with the poster who said life is to short to cook and hide foods in dishes that certain people don't like.
    I also love cauliflower, but never would make cauliflower rice or pizza crust.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Spiralize them! They're excellent, especially with cheese
    0ye8vcfeg296.jpg
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Cook them and let them cool down
    Now shred them or spiral or cut in very small pieces

Shred some onion and add to it. Pepper salt vinegar and mayonnaise finishes it off for me

As a kid we used to eat red beets every week with fish and butter sauce
    Was sooo good lol

and as a matter affect i have red beets tonight
    stir fry them...maybe i post a picture later. :)
  • SeanLives
    SeanLives Posts: 17 Member
    The Michael Jackson "Beet It" Smoothie

Raw peeled beet root and greens, blueberries, fresh peeled ginger tab, apple slices, a spoonful of peanut butter, and blended smooth with ice.

You'll moonwalk for this smoothie criminal.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    RinnyBlush wrote: »
    Slice them thin, roast them a bit, and then use them as a pizza/flatbread topping with fresh basil and goat cheese. It's seriously amazing!

Hmm, never thought of putting them on pizza, but I will give that a try this weekend since I have some goat cheese on hand and the basil hasn't died out yet.