"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."-Kate Moss

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    I hate this quote, it smacks of ED thinspiration to me.

This is what the controversy was at the time. She's a big role model and the quite was seen as unhelpful.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »
    My opinion is that Kate Moss shouldn't be getting credit for it, as the expression is older than she is (at least in its original, more grammatical form, "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels."). And when I first heard it 40 years or more ago, it was clearly intended as motivation for people who were overweight, not as some kind of pro-ana justification, which apparently is the objection now? In those days underweight women picking at salads with no protein and no dressing would say, "You can never be too thin or too rich." That always sounded pro-ana (and greedy) to me, although no one was using the term pro-ana in those days.

Was it Gloria Vanderbilt? I feel like she's got something to do with it

I believe it was Coco Chanel who coined the term "You can never be too rich or too thin".
  • HippySkoppy
    ^^^ Amending this apparently it was Wallis Simpson who is the 1st person that this quote can be linked too. My bad....although Coco Chanel I'm sure is in there somewhere, all these women - rich and pampered were probably all vying for the title of coining the term.... >:)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    ^^^ Amending this apparently it was Wallis Simpson who is the 1st person that this quote can be linked too. My bad....although Coco Chanel I'm sure is in there somewhere, all these women - rich and pampered were probably all vying for the title of coining the term.... >:)

:D Well, Wallis Simpson would say that, lol
  • HippySkoppy
    ^^^ Yep...sounds about right :o
  • nikkiab86
    nikkiab86 Posts: 45 Member
    My husband is skinny. Tall and slender. But, he definitely isn't fit. Or healthy. He also drinks too much rum and smokes. I want to be my average weight for my build. I want to look fit, not skinny.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Yeah whoever coined it, that quote is the worst.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    My opinion is that Kate Moss shouldn't be getting credit for it, as the expression is older than she is (at least in its original, more grammatical form, "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels."). And when I first heard it 40 years or more ago, it was clearly intended as motivation for people who were overweight, not as some kind of pro-ana justification, which apparently is the objection now? In those days underweight women picking at salads with no protein and no dressing would say, "You can never be too thin or too rich." That always sounded pro-ana (and greedy) to me, although no one was using the term pro-ana in those days.

You. I like you

I believe it was Wallis Simpson
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Yes, Wallis Simpson first said "You can never be too rich or too thin".

But I'm pretty sure Kate Moss first said "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels".

Both quotes have their darker side.

But they can be motivational with a good purpose too. Such is one of the many small perplexities of life.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    I will never understand people for whom good food is not a great pleasure. If skinny is the greatest pleasure in your life, it's time for a new life.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    The quote doesn't bother me as it pretty much resonates with my experience. If I am choosing something delicious over my goals i.e, eating without considering the long term consequences, this is the sort of thing I say to myself.

To my ear it is not saying that you never get to eat anything delicious, it is saying that if the delicious thing is outside of what you are able to eat that day and is taking you away from your goals it is not worth it, no matter how yummy it is. That sounds quite sensible to me.

What would not be sensible is turning it around. Think of what that would look like : "Eat first, worry later!" or one that actually exists : "Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse" (not quite the same, but you get my meaning. Also self destructive). Deciding that food IS more worthwhile than health can't be the way to go. That seems a lot more disordered and a mantra for the lets-all-be-obese-and-proud crowd.

Surely there is a place in the middle between fat and proud and ana and proud? I like to think so.

I don't think you need to shame yourself, but it seems ok to me, to use words or phrases to remind yourself of your priorities otherwise the cake always wins.

Words are interesting though,they ring differently in our ears. It is clear from this thread that what inspires me horrifies others. It is interesting.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    A lot of 'Ana' sites use this quote so I think that's where the controversy comes from. As someone said its a banner for the ED brigade unfortunately.

That being said, I've heard this quote before and remind myself of it sometimes when I fancy a treat that I can't fit within my numbers for the day. Sometimes it helps, sometimes the ice cream wins haha.
  • stephanieammon86
    stephanieammon86 Posts: 17 Member
    To many skinny haters. I like the quote.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited August 2015
    I don't know what "ana" is.
  • jarrahm133
    jarrahm133 Posts: 27 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    I don't know what "ana" is.

It's short for anorexia.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member

This.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited August 2015

Yes i agree.
    The word skinny (to me) isn't the same as slim or healthy and the fact Kate Moss was the pin up girl for Heroin Chic - doesn't help matters.
    Plus the fact she says "nothing tastes as good....." What??? :/
    As a Foodie, that just sounds Crazy to me!

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    I much prefer " you can't be too rich or too thin" Such a great retro quote.

I don't think Kate Moss actually gets credit for coming up with the quote.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I will never understand people for whom good food is not a great pleasure. If skinny is the greatest pleasure in your life, it's time for a new life.

Haha yeah.

I haven't reached my goal yet because I'm not giving up my ice cream and chocolates. So be it.