"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."-Kate Moss

Replies

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    My opinion is that Kate Moss shouldn't be getting credit for it, as the expression is older than she is (at least in its original, more grammatical form, "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels."). And when I first heard it 40 years or more ago, it was clearly intended as motivation for people who were overweight, not as some kind of pro-ana justification, which apparently is the objection now? In those days underweight women picking at salads with no protein and no dressing would say, "You can never be too thin or too rich." That always sounded pro-ana (and greedy) to me, although no one was using the term pro-ana in those days.

Mostly, this is what I think. If it inspires self-discipline, then post it on the refrigerator. Ah, the good old days, when it was OK not to subject every thought and feeling to over-analysis...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Chica has never had good Tex-Mex.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    At best it's a cheesy self-help slogan on some kind of horribly cliche motivation board. At worst I think it definitely has that unhealthy self-loathing eating disordered nature to it where attaining thin-ness should always be at the forefront of one's mind. So in general, no, I don't like it. I have no interest in training myself to dislike food.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    What is your opinion on this controversial quote? It was on my Pinterest newsfeed today and just got me thinking. I must say being -34lbs feels pretty darn good. I am in no way skinny and I probably will never be. Even as a very overweight person I don't really understand the hate for this quote. I find it true. Maybe because she used "skinny" vs healthy or some other word? The only argument I have against this quote is bacon. Bacon tastes pretty damn good.

My reaction is that they are eating the wrong things. :D
    I feel that the quote promotes extreme dieting and that one must suffer to be thin. I think it is a bad motto for weight loss inspiration.
    After 15 years of diets, I decided if I couldn't eat things that tasted really good and lose weight then I would stay fat. "Skinny" isn't worth being miserable to me. Turns out I can lose weight while eating pretty much the same delicious foods just the appropriate portion sizes. I will be happy to get to my goal weight eating like a normal person.
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    I will never understand people for whom good food is not a great pleasure. If skinny is the greatest pleasure in your life, it's time for a new life.

The quote applies directly to my life right now. I've spent decades putting food on a pedestal and treating it as a pleasure. All I had to show for it in the end was my scale hitting 250+ pounds, high blood pressure, and countless other maladies.

When I turn down a dessert, an extra piece of pizza, or an extra serving of pasta, it's absolute torture, but about an hour later when I feel perfectly satisfied from my meal and realize I didn't need the extra serving or the dessert, it feels awesome. I've lost almost 50 lbs. because I've learned how to show restraint and be ok with it.

I prefer eating to live over living to eat.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    It just seems so binary to me. Enjoy food, be skinny (I'll mentally translate this to resonate more as healthy), you can do both at the same time...
  • ald783
    I've spent decades putting food on a pedestal and treating it as a pleasure. All I had to show for it in the end was my scale hitting 250+ pounds, high blood pressure, and countless other maladies.

I can understand that and maybe a happy medium is sometimes necessary. I agree that obsessing over food to the other extreme can also be unhealthy. But I think it is unrealistic to think that most people can go about the rest of their lives seeing food as evil or only as a source of fuel rather than something to enjoy. I think eventually that mindset will just spiral back to the other extreme.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    I hate this quote, it smacks of ED thinspiration to me.

It is an anorexic mantra. Because of that I do not use it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    ald783 wrote: »
    I've spent decades putting food on a pedestal and treating it as a pleasure. All I had to show for it in the end was my scale hitting 250+ pounds, high blood pressure, and countless other maladies.

I can understand that and maybe a happy medium is sometimes necessary. I agree that obsessing over food to the other extreme can also be unhealthy. But I think it is unrealistic to think that most people can go about the rest of their lives seeing food as evil or only as a source of fuel rather than something to enjoy. I think eventually that mindset will just spiral back to the other extreme.

Yeah.

Plus 'skinny' doesn't always feel good. Being cold all the time = doesn't feel good. Tossing around at night because you can't find a good sleeping position because your knee bones keep hitting each other = doesn't feel good.

But I admit I'm jealous of people who don't like food as much as I do (I assume that quote is coming from someone like that), because life is probably much easier for them, lol. For me there are things that are DEFINITELY worth splurging on.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I think people don't have enough to do in their life. Seriously- this is such a none issue. I've never been bothered- I could not possibly care any less than I do for what Kate Moss says. She can't DL 315 I don't think. So whatev's
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I was skinny and now I'm overweight. Obviously, I must disagree with the statement.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    If that were true, I probably wouldn't be fat . . .

I also am not a fan of motivational quotes and fitness mantras. They don't do it for me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I like the quote, but have no desire to emulate Kate Moss.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    I like the quote and always have. That anorexics like it is neither here nor there, anorexics being creepy and liking this quote doesn't taint the quote or make it creepy.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Francl27 wrote: »
    ald783 wrote: »

But I admit I'm jealous of people who don't like food as much as I do (I assume that quote is coming from someone like that), because life is probably much easier for them, lol. For me there are things that are DEFINITELY worth splurging on.

Really? I actually feel sorry for them!
    Food is one of lifes' main luxuries.
    Imagine having to eat food and not enjoying it? Or being scared to eat?
    Very sad. :#
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    I will never understand people for whom good food is not a great pleasure. If skinny is the greatest pleasure in your life, it's time for a new life.

Wow, sooooo true! Well done.
  • ald783
    Really? I actually feel sorry for them!
    Food is one of lifes' main luxuries.
    Imagine having to eat food and not enjoying it? Or being scared to eat?
    Very sad. :#

That's how I feel. Sure, weight loss would be easier, but I make the choices I want to make. I love food, finding new delicious recipes and restaurants, cooking and prepping food, all of it. I can't imagine enjoying life if I didn't truly enjoy food.

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Substitute health for skinny and I'd say it's fine.
    +1
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    Pizza
    Ice cream
    Nutella
    Salted caramel
    Burritos
    Bbq chips
    Bacon

I rest my case.
    I tend to think it's not a great idea to take inspiration from someone who helped popularize heroin chic and also had the nickname Cocaine Kate. Even though that quote didn't originate with her.

Thank dog I can both eat those foods and accomplish my goals. That tastes pretty effing good.

That was my first thought too. Ice cream does taste better! I would rather work out hard and eat these things in moderation to be healthy rather than someone else's definition of thin! I'm at a disadvantage being short and naturally muscle-y (is that a word?) so unless I eat unhealthy portions of food and forgo lifting, I won't ever be a waif. Okay by me, I'll strive for toned and athletic instead...and eat ICE CREAM!

I do take issue with BBQ chips on the list though. My family loves them, but I'd rather have any other flavor. :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited August 2015
    I'm not sure it was Kate Moss who came up with this orignally but its a quote I use alot myself - its simply true, that nothing does taste as good as how being slim feels (I don't like the word skinny nor do I want to be skinny hence my use of word slim)
    but I also really enjoy my food, I'm just very good at making better choices now and I've never felt or looked better in my life (IMO) :smile: