Options
2»

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    pointkoala wrote: »
    But last time... I was fine for a month. I am still doing so much better than I was before I started in July. I accounted for everything in my diary too.

I need to relax and just work harder tomorrow. The cravings came too quickly. I won't give myself the option to binge eat tomorrow. I'm in control.

Yes, I think you should relax. But don't work harder, whatever that means, tomorrow. All that control, all those restrictions, why does it seem like it's going so well, and suddenly - it doesn't? That's because we can sustain almost anything for some time, but not for ever. And that's not because you are weak, everybody will succumb eventually if they restrict too much. That is not a mistake, that is your body's alarm system going off. If you want to avoid that for the future, make sure your calorie deficit isn't too big, and get enough nutrients. Make room for "you-time" and enough sleep. In short - don't deprive yourself. Be kind to yourself. The clue is finding just the right amount of restriction that allows you to lose and maintain weight comfortably.

What I have done - I don't know if it is possible or even seems reasonable for you, but anyway, this works for me: I have removed everything I used to binge on from my house. I meal plan and shop accordingly. I cook most of what I eat from scratch, have a varied diet of fresh whole foods I like every day. I will eat anyhing I want, but not everything at once, and not all the time. I treat treats as treats. I do have cravings from time to time, and I binge a little sometimes, but I don't get mad at myself for it. I just try to analyze what happened to better avoiding it, and move on.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I definitely get it. Only 17 days in, had one bad day and a horrific one (went "psycho" on some- a lot of - PB&J sandwiches as a late night snack...) so far. Know I'm going to stumble some, just trying not to make it a streak and when I fail one day, start anew the next...
  • pointkoala
    pointkoala Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What I have done - I don't know if it is possible or even seems reasonable for you, but anyway, this works for me: I have removed everything I used to binge on from my house. I meal plan and shop accordingly. I cook most of what I eat from scratch, have a varied diet of fresh whole foods I like every day. I will eat anyhing I want, but not everything at once, and not all the time. I treat treats as treats. I do have cravings from time to time, and I binge a little sometimes, but I don't get mad at myself for it. I just try to analyze what happened to better avoiding it, and move on.

I actually have removed almost everything from my house :) however I ended up at the store yesterday which is just a mess. I have asked my partner to do all the grocery shopping even though he hates it. But I had to pick something up and I grabbed some granola bars. why?!? I don't know. But I did.

I do have crackers around because I keep them as a snack for once in a while (I like guacamole + crackers sometimes when my calories account for it). But then I had too much. And same with pasta.... it's okay to have pasta once in a while but it did not work for me yesterday yet I still did.

My partner keeps any junk food in our place away from me so I don't know where it is lol. Only our vegan ice cream is in the freezer. Uhhh we haven't bought any more after that though :p

By work harder.... I more just mean focus harder and not let myself slip. Not cut my calories more than usual. Maybe exercise a bit more but not a ton more to overload it. Just get back into the swing of things :)
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you are going to be told truths that you don't want to hear. Some of them might even hurt. Really really good friends are the ones who will tell you the truth even if it might hurt. I have a couple of those myself and they can be quite brutal. But they are all the more valuable to me because they do it. They don't do it out of meanness they do it because they care and want to see me improve myself. It is not easy to tell someone you love a thing that you know is going to hurt them, even when you know they need to hear it.

Now as for your little problem of occasionally losing control. You said ,
    "But I had to pick something up and I grabbed some granola bars. why?!? I don't know. But I did."

Okay this is where you need to start. Spend some time examining this. Why did you? Deep down you do know why. You need to face it. Whatever your why is you have to confront it, admit it and accept it. Only then can you do something about it. Maybe that means you need to rethink your diet goals and food choices or how you view certain kinds of foods. Only you can decide what you really need. The truth is you have a problem that you need to stop ignoring or complaining about but never doing anything about it.

Between last night and this morning I ate an entire large pizza. It was a lot more than I should have eaten. I decided to do so consciously even though I knew that really I should not. I also ate a few cookies that I didn't log. I know why. I am an emotional eater and this week has been emotionally very stressful for me. Some very deep and powerful triggers were tripped and I barely managed to stop short of a full on binge. I managed to at least keep myself at or slightly below maintenance. I know that this will slow down my weight loss progress but I decided that I just needed to give myself a break. Going forward I will make sure that it does not become a habit but I will give myself permission to not always be perfect.

Your friend told you a truth that you didn't like hearing. Was she correct? Do you really think she wanted to hurt you or do you think she just told you a truth that you needed to hear and accept?

I also reached out to some friends to help me with my feelings. They are supportive and helpful but also said some things that were hard to hear and offered some possible actions for me to take that are needed but will require a huge effort for me to do. I may or may not follow some or all that advice. But I will take it into serious consideration and accept that what they said is probably true. And that they said it because they care enough to say things that are hard to say.

Success or failure(in this case) is based on what you do long term and not on the actions of one day. Again. Take some time to think seriously about the reasons for doing things like eating more ice cream than is reasonable or a whole box of cookies or whatever. If you don't know why you do things how are you going to ever change it?