Still feeling down & Guilty.

Options
I was hoping that after sleeping on it, since i felt so awful yesterday that i would feel better today but i don't.
I think i feel the worst about how i ate yesterday.
I don't even want to look at food today. If i didn't have to eat at all anymore to survive i would.
I put in 30 min of cardio first thing this morning and i still feel like a fat sack.
Excersize is supposed to help elevate mood, i sure wish it would work for me.

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    OK. Climb on Superman's back and orbit the earth at faster than light speed, going back in time to before you ate what makes you feel so guilty and then don't eat that.

Failing that, today is a new day. Go forth and sin no more ;-) Get back to your plan and go on. Be happy, be good.

OR, beat yourself over it for the rest of your life. Which ever you feel is more productive.
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, judging yourself and beating yourself up for being human will not help you to say the least. We all have setbacks. What led me to fail every single time was this all or nothing idea and if I didn't eat like a perfect angel one time, I wld think bad o myself and give up altogether. Don't ever give up, aim for progress not perfection.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    xxKrissxx wrote: »
    I was hoping that after sleeping on it, since i felt so awful yesterday that i would feel better today but i don't.
    I think i feel the worst about how i ate yesterday.
    I don't even want to look at food today. If i didn't have to eat at all anymore to survive i would.
    I put in 30 min of cardio first thing this morning and i still feel like a fat sack.
    Excersize is supposed to help elevate mood, i sure wish it would work for me.

Aww honey, I know those days too well.

Yesterday I had a moment of weakness and bought a sleeve of nutter butters and ate the whole thing. Had a stomach ache the rest of the day and felt guilty as hell.
    But one bad day isn't going to ruin you. If you don't eat at all, you're going to feel worse. Get some nutrition in you and keep on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    get over it and move on...you're heading down the road to some very disordered thinking and a *kitten* *kitten* relationship with food and fitness...this mindset is not remotely healthy and this is all about being healthy...

really, in the grand scheme of things, how relevant is one day? get over it and move on...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Its not so much what i ate, but the reason i ate.
    Technically speaking, i didn't go over my calories and i had two chicken wraps on low carb tortillas.
    I weighed and measured everything before i ate it, but i didn't enjoy what i ate, i just stuffed it into my mouth like a fat depressed slob.

Then this is called disordered thinking. You should seek help for this from a physician because thinking like this is a slippery slope :/
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yeah well.. the psychologist is only going to deal with one thing at a time.. so what do you do in the mean time while you wait weeks between appointments?

Why couldn't you email him for advice?
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I think you should focus on positive thoughts, not negative ones. Doesn't logging all you negative thoughts just reinforce them? I'm not a doctor, so I can't tell you what will help you but I know that when I'm thinking negatively, I try to stop myself and not indulge it. You should also try not saying anything to yourself that you wouldn't say to a stranger. You are beating yourself up. You wouldn't call another person a "fat slob". You shouldn't refer to yourself as such.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Sounds rough. I have no first hand experience in dealing with depression but a family member does. No one here would think you are stupid or weak though. Is there not another outlet or medical professional that would be more readily available? Something you could do that makes you feel more positive? I know for me there are activities, namely walking, that tend to improve my outlook in general. Sorry if anything I suggested sounds hollow, I dont know the specifics of what you're dealing with, but I do hope you get the help you need.
  • LC_onelove
    LC_onelove Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Do you have a history of depression? Is this your first time with any therapist?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Access to mental health care sucks in most places, I'm sorry. And, it can just take a while... I still think group therapy (if it's available? Usually is, usually it's faster to get into that) might be helpful - in addition to the therapy you're doing - in that you can at least talk with real live people who get it. Some of whom may be further along in their therapy, and may have tools to share, and of course the therapist will have things to offer, too.

In terms of self-care, my suggestion is to

1) Do one thing every day that you think might feel good (and is not what you think might be destructive). Maybe it's something familiar (like painting your nails, taking a long shower, watching a movie, listening to music that uplifts you), or something you haven't done but think might be interesting (like visiting a museum or gallery you haven't been to before, or attending a free talk on a subject that interests you, or going for a walk in a new neighbourhood - a change of scene might provide at least a temporary break from the loops you might get into at home).

(Three things that reliably help lift my mood when I'm feeling down, even if it's just a little, are going to a park, swimming, and cooking. Feeling the sunlight on my skin, the sensation of water, seeing the green trees and grass, hearing the birds, all those are things I find soothing. Cooking, I like because of the colours of the foods, the rhythm of chopping, ultimately the taste of the meal. Sensory experiences like that can be very grounding and can help take you out of your head.)

What about coming up with a list of things like that today? Even if you can only think of a few activities, it's a start.

2) Do one practical thing that will improve something in your environment. Like ordering the books on your shelf, or buying a little $1 plant, or doing the laundry. It's not fixing the big problems, no. But you'll have done something that will probably make a small difference in how you feel in your place. (Even if nothing else happens that day, you'll be taking steps to take care of yourself and your space.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    keep doing what you're doing and what your therapist has you doing...it takes time...I was in therapy for over 9 months. it works, but it is a process...

it's good that you're writing down the negatives...but you should also accent the positives...you don't like the reasons why you did what you did...but you stayed within your calorie budget...that's a positive...take that positive and move on with things...

it's all about one day at a time...you're never going to be 100% bang on perfect...you're going to have good days and bad days...that's life...you just have to get yourself up, dust yourself off and move one and get over it...

when my kids were learning to walk, they fell down a lot...when they did, they would sit there and cry...but every time they did this I would ask them, "what do you do when you fall down"...eventually they started to respond with, "get back up"...and they would.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Sorry, you replied to another post in the time it took me to write that long-*kitten* post