Still feeling down & Guilty.

Options
2»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    :) I'm just sorry you're having such a rough time. I've had times like that, it sucks.
  • aburns555
    aburns555 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats on working out, and making that good choice! That's something you should be proud of yourself for doing today. Kudos.

I'll offer my two cents, if you don't mind? Venting is therapeutic. So vent away. And then vent some more. And then squeeze out the rest and vent until you have nothing left to vent about. Better out than in, IMHO.

And when you've vented all you can, rack your brain for one thing you can do to serve or help someone else today. And then follow through. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this will "cure depression", however in my experience it is very difficult for me to be focused on my problems and failures, when I am focused on helping others.

The sadness and guilt will return, as is the nature of depression, but that's why you get another day on Earth to pick something else to do for somebody that needs or deserves it. Start small. Some random act of kindness. Plan the whole thing in your head, to the last detail, and follow through. If you need suggestions, let me know and I'm sure we can come up with something together. Then come here and share what you did and we will celebrate :)
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Keep these things in mind.

ALL OF US. Every single person you meet is a train wreck of some sort. Some just hide it better than others, some are unaware of their own problems and most ,who do know, are not brave enough to face up to it and try to change it, let along to publicly share their imperfections publicly. It takes a lot of courage to admit that you have these problems. Even more so to do it openly and publicly. This indicates to me that you are willing, and ready to succeed and so you will. In time.

Give yourself permission to feel how you feel. Accept your feelings. It is okay to feel sad, mad, afraid, etc. Those are just feelings. Feelings are not facts. They are just physiological responses to life. Chemicals and processes in your brain that may or may not be operating properly. You don't have to be controlled by them. Instead of trying to stop feeling or not feeling certain things you can choose to keep going in spite of them. And no this is not easy. Trust me I know.

Okay you are losing weight but don't currently feel appreciative or happy about your success. That's okay. Keep going anyway. You are doing all of the things you should be doing. Your mental, emotional and physical healing are all long processes that won't always give you the results you think you want or the feelings you think you are supposed to feel. That does not mean they are not worth pursuing.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    xxKrissxx wrote: »
    That is what its doing, but thats what she asked me to do.
    I write the date, the time, i write the feelings i am having that are negative, and on a scale of 1 to 10 how they are effecting me on the inside then write a brief description of what is happening at the time to make me feel that way.. then next week i go in and read them all to her and shes supposed to show me how to notice what causes my thoughts.

I did something several years ago along this line.

I had two lists...one for the things that I hated...made me feel bad...that annoyed me...things that depressed me.

My second list was for the things that I loved...made me feel good...that made me smile...things that made me happy.

What I found from this exercise was that there was so many more things in life that were good...that brought me joy than there were that made me sad.

I don't know...If you only focus on those things that are negative...you ignore or don't recognize the positive.

Maybe you could start a notebook about those positive things...rate them. You might find that they out weigh the negative.

Having said that...I know at times it can be difficult. Some things happened in my life at one time that led me to believe that I was not worthy of good/happiness/joy. It took me many years to change those thoughts. I still have a day here and there that those feeling arise. I have learned over time how survive those days and pull myself up. Will they ever totally go away...I don't know.

The only advice that I can give is to grab hold of something that you are fighting for...hold on tight to that. Keep holding on until you can find another reason to keep fighting and then hold on to both of those things. Keep this up and eventually you will find that you have more reason to keep fighting and less reasons to give up.

I can understand about yesterday...I had one of those days myself. I had a love affair with the peanut butter. We have always been friends me and that peanut butter but yesterday...we carried it to the next step. Fortunately I came to my senses before we eloped to Reno.

Here's what I tell myself...you can keep wallowing in self-pity...feel guilty...crappy...OR...you can start again...forgive yourself...realize that one bad day does not make you unworthy nor does it mean that that you have to give up.

I am truly sorry that I have no answers for you OP...I know that is what you are looking for. The answers however lie within yourself...you just have to keep digging for them.

• allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I was hoping that after sleeping on it, since i felt so awful yesterday that i would feel better today but i don't.
    I think i feel the worst about how i ate yesterday.
    I don't even want to look at food today. If i didn't have to eat at all anymore to survive i would.
    I put in 30 min of cardio first thing this morning and i still feel like a fat sack.
    Excersize is supposed to help elevate mood, i sure wish it would work for me.

I looked at your dairy for yesterday August 20th, what's wrong with it? food looks fine and you within your calories, so what is the issue?
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I just took a peak at a few of your dairy entries and if you are being honest with them. It sounds and looks like you might have a ED my dear and you need to seek help.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's not about the food I think. It's allowing yourself to feel good and relinquish a little control. How about a BED support group to talk to?
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling bad. I know how it is - I really do. I've been treated for depression. But for me in the end, I think it is just like living with any chronic condition, like pain. Be kinder to yourself on the bad days. I agree that sometimes just doing one thing like cleaning the kitchen or ironing the laundry can help me feel more in control. Realize that some days will just be harder than others and try your best to get through them.

And keep exercising - it helps. It helps with the physical pain and lifts the mood.

And don't feel bad for reaching out. We all need help sometimes......

• pointkoala
    pointkoala Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need to find another therapist who doesn't take so long to get appointments with? My therapist is great but she's not super high in demand so I can always get an appointment with her (although she is on vacation for now sooooo besides that lol).
    It is okay. It's important to not hate yourself. Everyone is amazing in their own way and I'm confident that you are too. I get that mindset sometimes too. I messed up badly on my calories yesterday and kept eating AFTER I knew that I had messed up. Ugh. I hated it for a while (made my own post and my emotions were all over the place). But today is a new day. New beginnings. Keep trying!
    Best of luck though!!! <3 For overcoming your issues. You seem to be on a good track to start out.... just keep going!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Access to mental health care sucks in most places, I'm sorry. And, it can just take a while... I still think group therapy (if it's available? Usually is, usually it's faster to get into that) might be helpful - in addition to the therapy you're doing - in that you can at least talk with real live people who get it. Some of whom may be further along in their therapy, and may have tools to share, and of course the therapist will have things to offer, too.

In terms of self-care, my suggestion is to

1) Do one thing every day that you think might feel good (and is not what you think might be destructive). Maybe it's something familiar (like painting your nails, taking a long shower, watching a movie, listening to music that uplifts you), or something you haven't done but think might be interesting (like visiting a museum or gallery you haven't been to before, or attending a free talk on a subject that interests you, or going for a walk in a new neighbourhood - a change of scene might provide at least a temporary break from the loops you might get into at home).

(Three things that reliably help lift my mood when I'm feeling down, even if it's just a little, are going to a park, swimming, and cooking. Feeling the sunlight on my skin, the sensation of water, seeing the green trees and grass, hearing the birds, all those are things I find soothing. Cooking, I like because of the colours of the foods, the rhythm of chopping, ultimately the taste of the meal. Sensory experiences like that can be very grounding and can help take you out of your head.)

What about coming up with a list of things like that today? Even if you can only think of a few activities, it's a start.

2) Do one practical thing that will improve something in your environment. Like ordering the books on your shelf, or buying a little $1 plant, or doing the laundry. It's not fixing the big problems, no. But you'll have done something that will probably make a small difference in how you feel in your place. (Even if nothing else happens that day, you'll be taking steps to take care of yourself and your space.)

great advice
  • LC_onelove
    LC_onelove Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    yes i have been put on different varieties of anti depressants since i was a young teen.
    and yes, this is my first therapist

Depression is such a terrible thing because logically you know, but you can't bring yourself to accept the truth. I am wishing you all the best! I am greatful that I found a medicine that works well for me to manage my depression. I hope you can hang in there and see the results from therapy! Feel free to add me if you need some support or just someone to talk to when you are feeling down!

• frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    aburns555 wrote: »

The sadness and guilt will return, as is the nature of depression, but that's why you get another day on Earth to pick something else to do for somebody that needs or deserves it. Start small. Some random act of kindness. Plan the whole thing in your head, to the last detail, and follow through. If you need suggestions, let me know and I'm sure we can come up with something together. Then come here and share what you did and we will celebrate :)

<3 I totally agree with aburns555. At a time in my life when I was going through a severe depression, I saw the doctors and took the meds, but the 2 things I did that helped me on my own as well: 1) I looked outside myself to try to help another. You can not believe how much that can help you. Even when the other person (or being), have really sad circumstances,instead of making you feel worse,the fact that you are focusing on something or someone outside yourself helps YOU. I won't get into the science of it, I just know it worked for me. My individual circumstances of doing this have led me into 25 plus years of advocating for rescue pets. I swear, the pets I have helped,ESPECIALLY the 6 pets I've brought home to become part of our family has enriched and saved my life beyond words.
    2) The second thing I did was I started daily grateful thinking. It takes some practice and seems forced at first,but with time you actually train your brain to think positive. I started each day,before my feet ever hit the floor, with listing in my head (or out loud) 3 things to be grateful for. They can be big,like saying thank you for a person you love, or for having the good health to even get out of bed,or they can be small such as "thank you,thank you for my comfy sheets". I did this throughout the day,especially when I found dark thoughts crowding my brain.
    It is an exercise for your brain,the same way you exercise your body. But I swear to you it does work with time.
    I hope in some way,just the fact that strangers on the internet are reaching out to you and understand,and would like to help, may also help you.
    I hope you find peace in your heart.
  • ashleesaid
    ashleesaid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Being out in nature always helps me feel better when I'm depressed. Don't get me wrong, it sometimes takes hours to put in the effort to actually put on clothes and go or the front door, but once I do it's almost magic. Not only are you moving your body and burning off the crap you ate, but you're outside and there are things to look at and focus on that aren't your computer screen or your mirror. Depression really sucks and I'm truly sorry you're going through it. Try to consider that what you're feeling right now is 100% temporary.
  • ashleesaid
    ashleesaid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're on Instagram or Facebook, look up yoga_girl AKA Rachel Brathen. She posts really encouraging things throughout the day about acceptance of ourselves and the beauty of life. Her posts really help me see through the fog sometimes.