"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."-Kate Moss

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    People keep saying 'food DOES taste better than skinny feels' or 'I can't imagine living life not eating all the good yummy things' but that to me is not at all what the quote is saying.
    I don't think of the quote as saying don't eat anything yummy or don't enjoy food. To me it just says that if what you're eating isn't going to help you to get/remain fit/slim/thin/healthy, then it isn't worth it. So yes, you can have your pie and eat it to, but you can't eat the whole dang pie, unless you're fitting it into your calories.
    If people on this site truly thought food does taste better than being fit/slim/thin/healthy then no one on here would be losing weight. People ARE choosing fit/slim/thin/healthy over food.

actually, I eat to train...and that often requires a great deal of food.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    People keep saying 'food DOES taste better than skinny feels' or 'I can't imagine living life not eating all the good yummy things' but that to me is not at all what the quote is saying.
    I don't think of the quote as saying don't eat anything yummy or don't enjoy food. To me it just says that if what you're eating isn't going to help you to get/remain fit/slim/thin/healthy, then it isn't worth it. So yes, you can have your pie and eat it to, but you can't eat the whole dang pie, unless you're fitting it into your calories.
    If people on this site truly thought food does taste better than being fit/slim/thin/healthy then no one on here would be losing weight. People ARE choosing fit/slim/thin/healthy over food.

What's your point. I said you can eat anything you want if it fits in your calories. And most people here are trying to lose weight so they HAVE to eat below their TDEE to do so and considering they got over weight by eating more than their TDEE then they have to chose to not do that.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    hrtchoco wrote: »
    I think the quote is fine. I love fried chicken, but I don't love it enough to eat a huge quantity of it (and gain weight).

Agreed.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Beyond the fact that I dislike the word "skinny" (it must makes me think of a bag of bones with no muscle and little BF...a very unhealthy look), the quote itself insinuates that being skinny is the ultimate and that one should not take any pleasure in food...and probably should really be going hungry...at least that's my interpretation.

The fact is that you can get healthy and fit and lean and still eat well and healthfully and still enjoy food, etc...IMO, this quote basically illustrates to me, a *kitten* relationship with food...which isn't healthy...and I'm all about healthy.

I don't take it that way. I take as inspiration for all the many people who post here saying things like, "I ate all my calories, but it's nighttime and I want the donut!"

Like, what do you want more: Thin or Donut?

The donut won't taste as good as being thin will feel.

I think when people add stuff in, like "OMG, if you like the quote, that makes you anorexic and means you cannot enjoy food!" then it would make sense to dislike it. It just comes down to how you take it, I guess.

I like the quote, am not anorexic and still like the taste of my food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Funny that you avoided using the term she used (skinny) though.

I only avoided it due to what I posted on the first page in my first response to this thread. People hear 'skinny' and think skin and bones. I hear 'skinny' and think fit, muscled, fairly flat stomach.

Skin and bones is closer to the actual definition of the word.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I hate this quote, it smacks of ED thinspiration to me.

+1

+2...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Did this quote cause controversy in the USA in 2009 when the interview was given. Most people are missing out that the impact was because it was kate Moss saying it at a particular time and the backlash/ media frenzy it caused. Plenty of other people could have said soemthing similar, but in the UK this hit the headlines on slow news day.
  • simbartes
    simbartes Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think that it was the fact that at 5'7"and under 100lbs, Kate Moss was the poster child for too thin at the time she said this. She was an unrealistic, unobtainable, unhealthy role model for millions of teens and young adults.

Anyone with half a brain who was not anorexic could clearly and readily see that. That's why the quote was controversial
  • MysticRealm
    Options

I only avoided it due to what I posted on the first page in my first response to this thread. People hear 'skinny' and think skin and bones. I hear 'skinny' and think fit, muscled, fairly flat stomach.

Skin and bones is closer to the actual definition of the word.

We use a lot of words differently than their full meaning would lend itself to. Have you seen what the word 'literally' has become. It actually has changed it's definition in the dictionary because people were using it in a way that it was not intended to be used so much.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Skinny, thin, slim, fit, etc... all mean the same thing to me. If someone tells me I'm skinny, I take it as a compliment.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I will never understand people for whom good food is not a great pleasure. If skinny is the greatest pleasure in your life, it's time for a new life.

"if food is the greatest pleasure in your life, it's time for a new life" eh?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I agree with the basic message of the quote. I don't like the word "skinny," nor do I believe in starving yourself to be a super-thin, unhealthy, unsustainable weight. However, I feel so much healthier, energetic and happy about how I look when I am at my goal weight (130-135, 5'5").
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think Kate Moss should have said, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny pays."
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Beyond the fact that I dislike the word "skinny" (it must makes me think of a bag of bones with no muscle and little BF...a very unhealthy look), the quote itself insinuates that being skinny is the ultimate and that one should not take any pleasure in food...and probably should really be going hungry...at least that's my interpretation.

The fact is that you can get healthy and fit and lean and still eat well and healthfully and still enjoy food, etc...IMO, this quote basically illustrates to me, a *kitten* relationship with food...which isn't healthy...and I'm all about healthy.

I don't take it that way. I take as inspiration for all the many people who post here saying things like, "I ate all my calories, but it's nighttime and I want the donut!"

Like, what do you want more: Thin or Donut?

The donut won't taste as good as being thin will feel.

I think when people add stuff in, like "OMG, if you like the quote, that makes you anorexic and means you cannot enjoy food!" then it would make sense to dislike it. It just comes down to how you take it, I guess.

I like the quote, am not anorexic and still like the taste of my food.

This is how I interpret that quote.

I can see how pro-ana groups (or even Kate Moss) can twist it to mean something else, but that's not the interpretation that pops in my head when I hear it.

Also, add me to the list of people who thinks "skinny" is just another word for "thin" or "slim". To me, anyone in a normal body fat % is skinny. That's just the connotation the word has always had for me.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »

If it really was a food vs slim issue and you chose the food (for those who think that), how about this scenario? A fairy says she can wave her wand and you can have what you want instantly. You can either have a) a giant plate of donuts (or your delicious food of choice) or b) you can instantly be your goal weight.

Are you folks saying you would choose the doughnuts? Really??
    I'd definitely choose the doughnuts! Lol
    No, but seriously i've been "skinny" before and i didn't feel any different to how i feel now.....it wasn't a big deal!
    I've always had a big appetite and if i had to choose between being slim for the rest of my life (and not being able to eat nice foods) or be bigger and eat what i liked, i'd choose to be bigger.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It meant skinny in the sense she was a role model with money and fame and skinny was part of the ingredient of getting there. ontext is everuthing, its not really about whether the quote makes much sense.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

What's your point. I said you can eat anything you want if it fits in your calories. And most people here are trying to lose weight so they HAVE to eat below their TDEE to do so and considering they got over weight by eating more than their TDEE then they have to chose to not do that.

the relationship and what's going on in the head...

to me, the quote insinuates a *kitten* relationship with food, particularly as when Kate Moss said it, she pretty much was looking anorexic and probably was/is...she certainly wasn't eating to train or improve or be healthy...she was pretty much starving herself in order to be rail thin..

I'm not sure how else you're supposed to interpret such a quote coming from a very unhealthy individual.

that's the point...thanks for asking.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I will never understand people for whom good food is not a great pleasure. If skinny is the greatest pleasure in your life, it's time for a new life.

Just like if food is the greatest pleasure in one's life.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Whoever came up with that phrase never had duck fat potatoes.
  • MysticRealm
    Options

the relationship and what's going on in the head...

to me, the quote insinuates a *kitten* relationship with food, particularly as when Kate Moss said it, she pretty much was looking anorexic and probably was/is...she certainly wasn't eating to train or improve or be healthy...she was pretty much starving herself...

that's the point...thanks for asking.

You're twisting the quote into what you want to hear, and I'm twisting it into what I want to hear. That's all that happening.