Advice for easing post-workout soreness?

Options
I run regularly but recently began working with a personal trainer on some other goals. I've had soreness after my workouts, but today my legs are really killing me (more so than usual)! The worst area is the upper part of my right calf. Any tips for recovery would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling can help, but the best medicine is more movement. Pretty much all the suggestions you get will be mostly anictdotal. There is no cure for D.O.M.S (delayed onset muscle soreness)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Stretches after the run.
    My boss swears by vitamin C started the day before vigorous exercise, continued through the day after.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Foam roller, lots of water, and moving around will help. Sometimes I'll take some ibuprofen if it's really bad. But really, you just have to deal. It will get less and less the more you workout.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Stretching, hot & cold therapy, relaxing, and massage.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Totally anecdotal, but if I have soreness in my legs from working out, I wrap them in ace bandages, usually when I sleep.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Also protein/after workout mix may help since your muscles are depleted after strenuous exercise.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    foam rolling,stretches,jaccuzzi and compression socks work for me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah, my friend who does marathons was advised to soak in COLD water after the run. She did so, and recovered much faster than her two daughters. I wonder if I have the guts to do the same....
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Best way to cure DOMs, go do what caused them again.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling, stretching, bath with Epsom Salts but best thing is to hit them again until they get used to it :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    cdmanney wrote: »
    I run regularly but recently began working with a personal trainer on some other goals. I've had soreness after my workouts, but today my legs are really killing me (more so than usual)! The worst area is the upper part of my right calf. Any tips for recovery would be greatly appreciated.

Unilateral pain sounds like injury over DOMS to me

RICE
  • Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    ^this.

Acute localized pain sounds like an injury. Ibuprofen and rest. If it doesn't start feeling better in a day or so get it checked out, you could have torn something.
  • cdmanney
    cdmanney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was worried about that, but the pain in my calf has finally subsided to just a slight soreness. If it was an injury maybe it wasn't too severe. I was probably trying to do too much too soon, so I'm planning to take the weekend to just rest.
  • kkarcher94511
    kkarcher94511 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    do you take BCAAs?
  • cdmanney
    Options
    do you take BCAAs?

I've only taken glutamine powder pre- and post-workout, and I drink EAS Protein drinks. Neither consistently. My husband bought some whey protein that he uses. I need to research more because I'm not really sure what I might need. I was never an athlete growing up or worked out much. All this is fairly new to me, but it's a lifestyle I want for myself.
  • kkarcher94511
    kkarcher94511 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    keep the glutamine, but do it CONSISTANTLY after training, this will help your joints soooo much. I highly suggest a high quality BCAA, make sure its pure though and doesnt have extra pre-workout, sugar, etc added to it. BCAAs are the most highly studied and proven supplement out there. 100% safe and make for some really tasty water if youre the type (like me) that needs encouragement to drink more. you can drink it any time but supposedly the MOST ideal is intra-workout. i take mine anytime i think of it during the day, sometimes twice daily.
  • Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    cdmanney wrote: »
    I was worried about that, but the pain in my calf has finally subsided to just a slight soreness. If it was an injury maybe it wasn't too severe. I was probably trying to do too much too soon, so I'm planning to take the weekend to just rest.

Glad to hear that the pain has subsided. Good that you're resting it for the weekend. Drink a lot of water sometimes during intense workouts if you're dehydrated muscles can cramp up or spasm. Definitely start off easy when you start back up.

Good luck
  • missg6984
    missg6984 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    BCAA's during lifting helps with recovery. This can be in addition to a morning and evening supplement or on its own.
  • cdmanney
    Options
    I appreciate everybody's advice. I'm learning quite a bit. Thanks to all! :)
  • Jokersurv
    Jokersurv Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You should have approximately 20g of protein within 30 minutes of a workout. This helps with recovory. I was getting sore after workouts than i read about taking protein and I haven't had a problem since