Advice for easing post-workout soreness?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Jokersurv wrote: »
    You should have approximately 20g of protein within 30 minutes of a workout. This helps with recovory. I was getting sore after workouts than i read about taking protein and I haven't had a problem since

Protein timing is irrelevant. This was debunked some time ago
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Jokersurv wrote: »
    You should have approximately 20g of protein within 30 minutes of a workout. This helps with recovory. I was getting sore after workouts than i read about taking protein and I haven't had a problem since

Protein timing is irrelevant. This was debunked some time ago

Not completely debunked BUT only shows a real difference in "advanced" lifters or what a study called "trained athletes".
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest some higher quality fishoil. Fish oil is mainly an anti inflammatory. Which is extremely useful considering most post workout pain (DOMS) is a result of tissue imflamation. It can definitely help in the long term, also steam room, stretching, and foam rolling can help. Diet is also a factor. Are you consuming proper nutrients to aid in recovery? There's no magic fix for it, its a combination of everything.
  • cdmanney
    cdmanney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I'd suggest some higher quality fishoil. Fish oil is mainly an anti inflammatory. Which is extremely useful considering most post workout pain (DOMS) is a result of tissue imflamation. It can definitely help in the long term, also steam room, stretching, and foam rolling can help. Diet is also a factor. Are you consuming proper nutrients to aid in recovery? There's no magic fix for it, its a combination of everything.

My diet has been inconsistent. Some meals are healthy, others not so much. Some days I eat 5-6 mini meals and keep portions, macros, and calories under control; some days I only eat twice but still too much. It's a struggle... I do try to be honest when logging it all. Btw, my personal trainer has me on 55/15/30 macros and 1300-1500 calories. I'm 5'5" and 146 lbs. I don't mind putting it out there.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Protein/carbs/fats? Honestly diet would be a major help, it's like the saying change is 50% in the gym and 60% in the kitchen. How heavy is your deficit, to much of a caloric deficit could also be a significant factor if your body doesn't have enough calories period to recover. And hey, you shouldn't need to mind about putting your weight out there. No one will have the same natural weight as another. Don't pick a weight goal for weight loss, especially if there's resistance training since you will pick up Atleast some muscle along the way. Choose a look and go from there.
  • peter789mfp
    peter789mfp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this to sound pretentious but If you have a personal trainer I would have thought that he/she would be qualified to give you a solution to your problem. Personal Trainers have a very high level of training in that field at college/university level and there wouldn't be many things they didn't know about the body. I would seek advice from him/her. Good Luck.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I don't mean this to sound pretentious but If you have a personal trainer I would have thought that he/she would be qualified to give you a solution to your problem. Personal Trainers have a very high level of training in that field at college/university level and there wouldn't be many things they didn't know about the body. I would seek advice from him/her. Good Luck.

PLEASE do not make this assumption! There are tons of personal trainers that are certified by online or weekend courses.
  • cdmanney
    cdmanney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Protein/carbs/fats?

55/15/30
    Carbs/fat/protein

This is my trainer's recommendation. Seems high on the carbs to me. I don't distrust her but sometimes I want to verify some things she tells me on here to make sure.
  • _sambamm
    _sambamm Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    voodoo flossing, foam rolling and stretching.
  • ungeneric
    ungeneric Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that foam rolling is basically the only soreness "cure" that shows any result in clinical tests, and even that has very little evidence so far. (As in: very few tests, though those tests have been promising.)

I do the foam roller after lifting and, anecdotally, it seems to help a lot with keeping my range of mobility on recovery days. It hurts like hell while actually doing it, though...
  • rainah84
    rainah84 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    After any intensity workout with my trainer, we excerise each muscle daily, giving that soreness a break without discontinuing any future workouts. Look forward to the burn!