Pain and Discouragement - Right Hip

Options
Over the last two years I lost 70 lbs, regained about 15 after a terrible summer of divorce death financial collapse serious illness - wretched turn of the wheel in general - and now I'm losing that 15 plus a little more all over again. It goes very slowly. I aim for about .5 lb a week or less and I'm used to the pace after losing the weight the first time and don't stress about the ups and downs. I'm female, 63, 5'5", currently about 133lbs.

This time I decided to track my walking/jogging and to increase the distance. Less than a month later and I'm just about sidelined with pain in my right hip. At first it was a problem only when I walked a distance. Then any walking. Then just standing. Now it hurts all the time from the time I wake up until the time I go to sleep. I'm still forcing myself to walk, trying for several miles as fast I can go, and sometimes the pain lets up after a little while. Yesterday was awful. I got in only half as far as I need to walk.

This morning my weight was up a pound. Even though I know it's probably unrelated, the correlation is unsettling. I eat back about half my exercise calories so not exercising means cutting back on eating, too.

I can't get a doctor's appt for another month, and I don't have high expectations that the doctor will be all that helpful anyway. I struggle with depression, the exercise helps, so the prospect of watching myself slide down physically as well as emotionally is very discouraging. I've come pretty far. I don't want to go back there.

I've tried ice. IcyHot patches. Mild stretching. A day's rest. More and faster walking. That deep ache is still there sometimes mild and sometimes stunning. Does this sound like something I can address? Shoes? Different exercise? I don't belong to a gym.

Replies

• ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    133 at 5'5" sounds pretty thin. Certainly healthy. Good job on the weight loss. It's probably osteoarthritis, but you should see an orthopedic doctor. If it really hurts, don't just try and ignore and push through it. If you have to nurse it and not walk as far or as fast, do that and eat a little less. Listen to your body. You can always find ways to work around it. You could try an exercise bike or rowing machine if those are options. You could also try simple strength exercises you can do at home. Strengthening the muscles of your legs, glutes, lower back, and abdominals might help your pain. Try not to get discouraged because in a few months you will probably have some answers and be back in a groove. Keep doing what you can, keep grinding away at it. Don't stop, don't give up!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same thing happen to me with my right hip. I increased my walking because of my silly Fitbit and the more I walked the more I limped. Went to the doctor and she told me to cut back on the walking. Walking is my form of daily exercise and it has been for many years. Not being able to walk has seriously made me depressed. But I listened to her advice and only short distance walks on the weekend. I took up bicycle riding instead which helped my mood tremendously. It took over 4 months for my hip to feel better.

So try a different form of exercise and rest your hip. That's my 2 cents :)
  • apeydawn423
    apeydawn423 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I do have one question. Does your hip bother you on the Outside or more around your groin area?
  • apeydawn423
    apeydawn423 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I ask because I have a fused hip and the other hip is going bad from taking the stress for both. If it's on the outside, use some heat and ice and do a search online of good hip stretches. You maybe tightening up from not enough stretching. If however it's in your groin area or as I tell my husband My whoha is in pain! Then it's probably a Legitimate Hip issue and should be checked by a doctor!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I got joint pain that steadily got worse it did not get better until I took a good long break from my running. I think it was two weeks. Walking and even more so running is repetitive strain and if proper breaks aren't taken, an over strained muscle will just get weaker.

It was one of the toughest challenges I had, dialling back the exercise hoping I had the gumption to take it back up again. I've come back but I am not as fast as I was.

I have tight hips and I do stretches every which way to try and open them up. In the hot tub at our local pool, standing in lineups, everywhere.

This is sort of the pose I try for in the hot tub.

https://www.tumblr.com/search/meditation posture

Some of these anywhere I am idle, which embarrasses hubby no end.

http://pinterest.com/pin/361132463848525086/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    ryanflebbe wrote: »
    It's probably osteoarthritis, but you should see an orthopedic doctor. If it really hurts, don't just try and ignore and push through it... Strengthening the muscles of your legs, glutes, lower back, and abdominals might help your pain.
    Thank you. I've started to worry it might be arthritis which isn't the end of the world but would definitely be a problem. I'll see what I can find to start strengthening my lower body to try to support the hip.
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Walking is my form of daily exercise and it has been for many years. Not being able to walk has seriously made me depressed...I took up bicycle riding instead which helped my mood tremendously. It took over 4 months for my hip to feel better. So try a different form of exercise and rest your hip.
    I used to love bike riding. Not being able to walk will be terrible. I love it and when I can get my stamina up, I love jogging even more. I can look for a bike somewhere and try to out. Thank you.
    I do have one question. Does your hip bother you on the Outside or more around your groin area?
    It's the outside. I tried some stretches that put pressure on the hip and found no inside pain at all. It does not seem related to pressure or weight either.
  • starling01
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I think I can follow the exercises without the link. I'm more worried I'll scale back than quit altogether. Once I get out on the trail, I get into the swing and really enjoy it, but it can be hard to ignore the inner whine and leave the house when it's cold/hot/not enough sleep/maybe should do something else etc. I hope I don't fall for it. I'm pretty limber but age and disuse have taken their toll. The exercises will help. Thanks!

• mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If it hurts more in your groin, then it's more likely to be be related to the actual hip joint and would be more concerning for things like OA or AVN of the femoral head. Pain on the outside is likely soft tissue related with the most common etiology probably being trochanteric bursitis. The former requires x-rays and work up by an orthopaedic surgeon, while the latter just requires rest and measures to decrease inflammation.
  • starling01
    Options
    mjudd1990 wrote: »
    If it hurts more in your groin, then it's more likely to be be related to the actual hip joint and would be more concerning for things like OA or AVN of the femoral head. Pain on the outside is likely soft tissue related with the most common etiology probably being trochanteric bursitis. The former requires x-rays and work up by an orthopaedic surgeon, while the latter just requires rest and measures to decrease inflammation.
    I don't have any pain in the groin. Until I can see a doctor, I'll treat it as if it's bursitis which I assume is pretty much the same as a repetitive strain injury. Either way, I have to stop trying to reach a self imposed goal via the tracker and give the hip a rest. I'm going to look into the stretching exercises and biking, although biking might be a bit of a challenge too - there are almost no flat roads/trails where I live. It's very hilly - fun to walk and run on but not so much if you're trying to avoid stressing a hip.

Thanks so much. I appreciate the support and help!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Stay off it for a week and see how that goes. Be aware of your calorie intake and retry again after a week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    ALCiS is my pain relief go-to cream. It has a nice scent and is not greasy. I've tried Tiger Balm, IcyHot, Penetrex... ALCiS works best for my muscles and joints.

Is your pain sciatica? Popping hip syndrome? @jgnatca posted some stretches that really help.

Could it be that you need more core (includes glutes) and hamstring work?
  • kspirit
    kspirit Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    :)
  • starling01
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    ALCiS is my pain relief go-to cream. It has a nice scent and is not greasy. I've tried Tiger Balm, IcyHot, Penetrex... ALCiS works best for my muscles and joints.

Is your pain sciatica? Popping hip syndrome? @jgnatca posted some stretches that really help.

Could it be that you need more core (includes glutes) and hamstring work?
    Thanks for the ALCIS recommendation. I'll try that instead of IcyHot. I don't think it's sciatica - from what I know about it, the pain radiates down the leg and starts above the hip which is not happening. I'd never heard of popping hip syndrome but it's an interesting thought. When I move my right leg a certain way, I can feel something pop although I'm not sure it's audible. Among the examples of the type of movement that may cause it is horseback riding which I did for many years and not on a casual level. Resting the hip and applying the same kind of treatment seems to be recommended - rest etc. I'll mention it when I see the doctor.

I'll definitely try the stretches, too.

It's been a long time since I focused on strengthening core muscles. I've forgotten everything I knew. I don't doubt I need it.

Thank you!
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Stay off it for a week and see how that goes. Be aware of your calorie intake and retry again after a week.
    My body is making it difficult to do anything else no matter how determined I am. I'll be watching the calories. The terrible summer of pizza and brownies was an exception I hope. I've made peace with food and, while continuing to track calories, I can live comfortably with just about anything without finding it irresistible.

Thank you for the encouragement!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    Obviously, there's no way for strangers to diagnose you accurately over the internet, so I'm not even going to take a stab at that.

But here's two cents anyway: In addition to helpful things people have mentioned above, I've also had some helpful experiences reducing hip discomfort with a foam roller, or a fairly firm ball (either those 8-10"ish yoga balls inflated firmly, or something small and firm like a tennis ball or lacrosse ball).

These are essentially a self-massage approach, putting the ball or roller on the floor, then applying your weight and moving around on it or holding the pressure at tender points. I was taught specifically what to do by trainers or massage therapists, but there are lots of instructions or videos on the web. My hip problems are mainly minor OA and sometimes bursa inflammation.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Ask doc for a referral to physical therapy. They do a great job.
  • BethAnnRichmond
    BethAnnRichmond Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Dang...I know that can be painful! I don't know what may be causing the pain but I, too, have experienced that pain. You'll be okay one minute and the next - POW! It's like someone stab you in the hip! I went to an orthopedic doc as I was having some discomfort in one of my toes. Come to find out, my arches had fallen. After a short time of using inserts (not store bought...those are the right kind, no matter what they advertise!) that I purchased through the doc's office, I had fewer "episodes". Between the inserts and hip-type of stretches - morning & night - the pain has disappeared.

Perhaps walk less and stretch more.

Hope the doc will be able to help you!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Give aqua fit a try. You will get all your cardio plus a bit of resistance work. Or go to the pool and do water walking ( I find the latter boring and prefer the varied movement of the former).
    The water will be easier on your bones and muscles as it offers a low impact workout.

I use arnica for aches and pains.

Cheers, h.
  • starling01
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Obviously, there's no way for strangers to diagnose you accurately over the internet, so I'm not even going to take a stab at that.

But here's two cents anyway: In addition to helpful things people have mentioned above, I've also had some helpful experiences reducing hip discomfort with a foam roller, or a fairly firm ball (either those 8-10"ish yoga balls inflated firmly, or something small and firm like a tennis ball or lacrosse ball).

These are essentially a self-massage approach, putting the ball or roller on the floor, then applying your weight and moving around on it or holding the pressure at tender points. I was taught specifically what to do by trainers or massage therapists, but there are lots of instructions or videos on the web. My hip problems are mainly minor OA and sometimes bursa inflammation.
    I'd never heard of this but did find a video explaining it. It sounded strange until you see how it's actually done. Thanks!
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Ask doc for a referral to physical therapy. They do a great job.
    I'll ask. They're very willing to refer you somewhere if they think you need it.
  • starling01
    Options
    Dang...I know that can be painful! I don't know what may be causing the pain but I, too, have experienced that pain. You'll be okay one minute and the next - POW! It's like someone stab you in the hip! I went to an orthopedic doc as I was having some discomfort in one of my toes. Come to find out, my arches had fallen. After a short time of using inserts (not store bought...those are the right kind, no matter what they advertise!) that I purchased through the doc's office, I had fewer "episodes". Between the inserts and hip-type of stretches - morning & night - the pain has disappeared.

Perhaps walk less and stretch more.

Hope the doc will be able to help you!
    It is definitely awful, and even worse when you're out walking somewhere and all of a sudden, BAM. Then you have to walk back. I don't think the problem is with my feet, but it might be. Walking less and stretching more for the time being is about all I can do. Thanks!
    Give aqua fit a try. You will get all your cardio plus a bit of resistance work. Or go to the pool and do water walking ( I find the latter boring and prefer the varied movement of the former).
    The water will be easier on your bones and muscles as it offers a low impact workout.

I use arnica for aches and pains.

Cheers, h.
    I'll try arnica - something else I didn't know. I think the community pool offers some kind of aqua classes as long as the summer lasts. I've never tried that.