Hello!! Thoughts on the 70% nutrition, 30% gym mentality??

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    You arent everyone though. If you burn a significant amount then those calories count towards the deficit. You would need an idea of how many you have burned to know how many you needed to eat back. If you wnat to rely just on the scale thats fine, but that method has a longer lead in time .
    But it can work. It isn't impossible to do it that way, regardless of what @Kalikel says about it.

And, ultimately, the scale, not a calculator, gives the real answer, right?

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    To paraphrase Yogi Berra, weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise. And vice versa.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    common-core-math.jpg

The answer is: Blue pancakes, because squirrels don't usually wear pants.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    vismal wrote: »
    You don't have to have any idea whatsoever how many calories you burn to know if you're in a calorie deficit. If your weight goes down over time, you're in one. If is doesn't, you're not. :)
    That's true enough. But you cannot plan it out, doing math and counting calories to eat X amount of food, if you have no idea what you're burning.
    Yes, you most certainly can. Why do you think you can't?
    Its not possible. ALL the calculators will use some estimate of how much you burn.
    You're 100% wrong. You don't even need a calculator. All you need is a scale. If you're losing weight, you're in a deficit. If you're not, you aren't. Adjust your intake and/or exercise accordingly. There is absolutely no reason at all, period, why you need to know how many calories you're burning in order to form a weight loss plan. None at all.

Why is it not possible to know if you're in a deficit and do math and planning without knowing how much you burn? You keep skipping that part.
    This! Why do you need a calculator at all?

You don't. You don't need to log, weigh, or calculate anything. I was just saying that if you're going to be counting calories and eating up to a total number of calories, you will have to factor in how much you burn to get that total. All the online calculators do that.
    You don't have to factor in how much you burn. You just don't. I don't know what words can make you understand that. The scale is the evidence of whether you're burning more than you're eating or not. That's all you need.
    I am done with this. It's been explained. You disagree. I'm cool with that.
    It hasn't been explained. Everyone here says you're wrong, but you still think you aren't. Par for the course.

It's been explained why you're wrong and why knowing burn isn't necessary to plan and lose weight. You've yet to explain why knowing burn is necessary to planning and losing weight. Again, par for the course.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You don't have to have any idea whatsoever how many calories you burn to know if you're in a calorie deficit. If your weight goes down over time, you're in one. If is doesn't, you're not. :)
    That's true enough. But you cannot plan it out, doing math and counting calories to eat X amount of food, if you have no idea what you're burning.
    Its not possible. ALL the calculators will use some estimate of how much you burn.
    You're 100% wrong. You don't even need a calculator. All you need is a scale. If you're losing weight, you're in a deficit. If you're not, you aren't. Adjust your intake and/or exercise accordingly. There is absolutely no reason at all, period, why you need to know how many calories you're burning in order to form a weight loss plan. None at all.

Why is it not possible to know if you're in a deficit and do math and planning without knowing how much you burn? You keep skipping that part.

Because it's hard to adjust calories in if you're not tracking them?

no it's not...

I haven't tracked a damn thing in over two years...in that two year time I have maintained, done a deliberate bulk over the winter, and cut again...all without tracking a damned thing...it's actually really easy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

You don't. You don't need to log, weigh, or calculate anything. I was just saying that if you're going to be counting calories and eating up to a total number of calories, you will have to factor in how much you burn to get that total. All the online calculators do that.
    Most online calculators just ask for your general level of activity. You in no way need to have a number of calories burned. It really doesn't matter anyway. Simplest way to know if you are in a deficit: Just eat any number of calories under the sun that you choose. Did you lose weight after a few weeks? If yes, deficit achieved! If no, reduce intake no deficit is present...
    Your level of activity, your height, your weight...it's all factored in. They take a guess at what you're burning to come up with a number of what you should be taking in.

You can ignore your activity. You can ignore what you eat. But your body won't. Your body counts all of it.

as usual, you miss the point completely....
  • DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options
    We're talking about different things. Tracking calories in is extremely important. It's calories out that I do not concern myself with.
    You arent everyone though. If you burn a significant amount then those calories count towards the deficit. You would need an idea of how many you have burned to know how many you needed to eat back. If you wnat to rely just on the scale thats fine, but that method has a longer lead in time .
    If you use a TDEE method you don't eat calories back. It is FAR simpler to do it that way. Many people ruin their entire deficit by over-estimating burned calories and eating them back. Most everyone on here agrees not to eat all their burned calories back. I do not see the advantage of taking a very much estimated number (calories burned) and then eating back an arbitrary percentage of the estimated number. Seems like an awful lot of unknowns. If you do not eat back any burned calories, and simply focus on one, fairly controllable variable, calories in, it's much less of a hassle and much less of a chance of going wrong.
    The TDEE is also taking a guess at what you'll be burning.
    No. It. Is. Not.

(Calorie Intake - (Today's weight - Yesterday's weight) * 3500)

is my daily TDEE. Averaged over time, it gives you TDEE over that time. Nowhere in that calculation do you need to know how many calories you burned. Nowhere. Because it's not necessary to know.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    We're talking about different things. Tracking calories in is extremely important. It's calories out that I do not concern myself with.
    If you use a TDEE method you don't eat calories back. It is FAR simpler to do it that way. Many people ruin their entire deficit by over-estimating burned calories and eating them back. Most everyone on here agrees not to eat all their burned calories back. I do not see the advantage of taking a very much estimated number (calories burned) and then eating back an arbitrary percentage of the estimated number. Seems like an awful lot of unknowns. If you do not eat back any burned calories, and simply focus on one, fairly controllable variable, calories in, it's much less of a hassle and much less of a chance of going wrong.
    The TDEE is also taking a guess at what you'll be burning.
    No. It. Is. Not.

is my daily TDEE. Averaged over time, it gives you TDEE over that time. Nowhere in that calculation do you need to know how many calories you burned. Nowhere. Because it's not necessary to know.
    Let me get this straight. If you lose weight, your TDEE is negative?

Edit: Sorry, I posted that before you edited that ridiculous math. Now I have to ask how you're defining "calorie intake."
  • DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I didn't edit the math, I added the enclosing parentheses and put it on its own line to make it more clear.

"Calorie intake" = how many calories you take in; how many calories you eat. That's utterly irrelevant to whether you need to know burn to plan weight loss, though.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    I didn't edit the math, I added the enclosing parentheses and put it on its own line to make it more clear.

"Calorie intake" = how many calories you take in; how many calories you eat. That's utterly irrelevant to whether you need to know burn to plan weight loss, though.
    Not only did you edit it here, you've posted that [3500 (today's weight - yesterday's weight)] thing before. I just never asked about how you come up with negative numbers when you lose weight before.

How many calories you eat how often? Per day? Where do you come up with the calories? Is it just whatever number someone happens to eat on any given day?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    This is excrutiating!

LMAO
  • DeguelloTex
    edited August 2015
    Options

Not only did you edit it here, you've posted that [3500 (today's weight - yesterday's weight)] thing before. I just never asked about how you come up with negative numbers when you lose weight before.

How many calories you eat how often? Per day? Where do you come up with the calories? Is it just whatever number someone happens to eat on any given day?
    No, I didn't edit the math.

You don't come up with a negative TDEE when you lose weight. Plug some numbers in and see. You're subtracting 3500 calories per pound gained. And, yes, given scale fluctuations the snapshot might be enormously high or low, which is why, like with the weight itself, the trend is the important thing.

Calories eaten per day, since we're comparing daily weights. If you wanted to deal with weekly weights, you'd deal with calories eaten per week.

Yes, it's whatever number the person ate.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Cant be bothered. youve all got a way that works for you. TDEE is good for maintenance and consistent exercise but I prefer NEAT. I just use common sense really, people fret about very little and overcomplicate things. Theres more prodyctive threads than this one and its really gone way off from what the OP asked and at a level she would find useful.

I like to know how many calories ive burned, but I pay more attention to whether im losing or gaining.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I need to be 100% committed to my nutrition and 100% committed to my fitness.
  • Kalikel
    edited August 2015
    Options

No, I didn't edit the math.

You don't come up with a negative TDEE when you lose weight. Plug some numbers in and see. You're subtracting 3500 calories per pound gained. And, yes, given scale fluctuations the snapshot might be enormously high or low, which is why, like with the weight itself, the trend is the important thing.

Calories eaten per day, since we're comparing daily weights. If you wanted to deal with weekly weights, you'd deal with calories eaten per week.

Yes, it's whatever number the person ate.

Calorie intake, 1200.
    Today's weight, 159
    Yesterday's weight, 160

Doing the math, using your equation, what number do you come up with?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. As a disabled person, I can tell you that you don't need exercise to lose weight. When I can't exercise for long periods of time, I am still able to both maintain my weight, and lose weight as I need to. It's entirely dependent on my calorie deficit. When I am able to exercise, I do that for fitness, and add to my calorie deficit some, but it's not necessary at all for either weight loss or maintenance.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Oh boy. As a disabled person, I can tell you that you don't need exercise to lose weight. When I can't exercise for long periods of time, I am still able to both maintain my weight, and lose weight as I need to. It's entirely dependent on my calorie deficit. When I am able to exercise, I do that for fitness, and add to my calorie deficit some, but it's not necessary at all for either weight loss or maintenance.

Nobody made any suggestion you had to do exercise, but all things being equal you will be more effective with it.
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    OP: Sorry your thread got derailed. Hopefully you got a few helpful replies before it fell apart.

Thanks LOL it's certainly been an interesting debate
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Nobody made any suggestion you had to do exercise, but all things being equal you will be more effective with it.

It's a direct reply to OP's original question, hello.....