Am I being unrealistic?

Options
I'm doing a combo of calorie restriction and low carb. I do 20 net carbs a day and 1,200 calories. It seems to be working so far... Am I gonna burn out? As I get closer to my goal weight I'll gradually add more carb like berries. Basically I'm doing Atkins Induction. What do you think?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    60 lbs to lose? You could probably lose on A LOT more calories than 1200. If 20 net carbs helps you stay in a deficit, that's great, but there's no reason to go hungry if you have 60 lbs of excess weight. You could probably lose on 1600 calories (depending on your stats) and not have to be so very restrictive.

That being said, some people find vLCHF diets satisfying for weightloss. All you can do is see how well you do and decide if it's something you can do long term. Some people do it long term. (I'd miss fruit, though.)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that it's typically a better idea to make a change that is sustainable instead of restricting certain food groups.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Why? There really is no need to restrict yourself so much just to lose weight or body fat.
  • mccrackencc15
    mccrackencc15 Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    That's what I did for a long time. I liked it, and being low-carb helped me cut cravings. I would raise the carbs a little bit to 30 or so, and keep in mind net carbs vs fiber. Make sure you're getting enough calories for your height and getting enough protein. I started at 240lbs and ate 1400 a day, but soon went to 1200 because I knew I could do it without being hungry or anything.

-- that is without exercise, though! If you do work out, add some protein and calories back (not necessarily all of them, I give myself 100 for light exercise or 200 for heavy)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that you should include lots of fruits and veggies in your diet unless your doctor has told you not to do that. You need your vitamins and minerals! Fruits and veggies are a yummy and fiber-filled way to get them!

Try making up your own diet that is full of healthy foods and see how that goes.

That's my advice. BUT if you really, really want to do Atkins or whatever, then that's what you should do. :)
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Your plan would be impossible for me tho.
  • panda8294
    panda8294 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 not a lot? I'm only 4'11" lol I'm never hungry so I figured it was a good number. And as I'm a brand new mom I don't get to exercise much, if ever.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1200 is the lowest recommended intake for women. It may be fine for you, since you're shorter, but it isn't sustainable for many.

Are you breastfeeding?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you staying off carbs forever?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    panda8294 wrote: »
    I'm doing a combo of calorie restriction and low carb. I do 20 net carbs a day and 1,200 calories. It seems to be working so far... Am I gonna burn out? As I get closer to my goal weight I'll gradually add more carb like berries. Basically I'm doing Atkins Induction. What do you think?

@panda8294 I was looking for a cure for my pain when I heard cutting out food containing sugar and/or grain can help. I also read adding coconut oil could help cut pain and brain fog.

Later I learned doing that is called Very Low Carb (<50 grams of carbs daily) very high fat (vLCHF). That was about a year ago and I have not got burned out. My main pain left in 30 days and my IBS cleared up several months later. I plan to stay very low carb and no grain for at least 46 more years. :)

Welcome to the forums and great success at losing weight. You are on the right track based on my personal experience. Google and read and over time you will have a great understanding if what you body wants you to eat.

• lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I'd aim for 1300+ and maybe up carbs a tiny bit.
  • nikkiab86
    nikkiab86 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Where can I find the best calorie intake for my height? I'm 5'8/174cm.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    nikkiab86 wrote: »
    Where can I find the best calorie intake for my height? I'm 5'8/174cm.
    put your stats into MFP and it will give you the calorie amount. you have to put in your heigh,weight,age,how much you want to lose,what your activity level is and how many lbs a week you want to lose. everyones calorie intake is going to be different.so there is no "best calorie intake" for just your height.just try what mfp gives you and go from there for a few months and see how it goes

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,669 Member
    Options
    OP, if you're breastfeeding, this would add a good 500 Cal or so, "exercise" Cals so to speak.

While netting 1200Cal MAY make sense for you (assuming no exercise and no breastfeeding) since you're shorter; many would find it too restrictive.

Generally speaking with 60lbs to go people don't need to drop to a correctly measured 1200 Cal in order to lose weight.

Since I view my period of weight loss as training for maintenance, a hopefully very long term endeavour, I am more interested in a slow, steady, and sustainable weight loss.

I want to build new habits and forge a new relationship with food and exercise, and incorporate my family, friends, and daily activities into an amalgam that doesn't promote weight regain.

I am not viewing this weight loss period as a sprint to a numerical goal and I do question myself when I do things to lose weight that I don't see me continuing to do over the course of the next 5 years.