FISH

I really hate fish - all seafood actually, except shrimp. My dr has put me on a very strict diet to lower my cholesterol and he would like for me to start eating fish, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a fish that I might be able to tolerate, and a way to cook it? I have zero experience. Never purchased it, never cooked it. TFS in advance :)

Replies

• cragglecat
    cragglecat Posts: 58 Member
    How about currying it if you don't like the flavour? Goan fish curry is delicious. White round fish tend to be milder in flavour. Don't know where you're based but cod and haddock would be popular choices in the UK. Just make sure you buy from sustainable sources...

If you're not too skilled in the kitchen you could do something basic like adding it to a pre-prepared sauce and cooking it through.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    edited August 2015
    cragglecat wrote: »
    How about currying it if you don't like the flavour? Goan fish curry is delicious. White round fish tend to be milder in flavour. Don't know where you're based but cod and haddock would be popular choices in the UK. Just make sure you buy from sustainable sources...

If you're not too skilled in the kitchen you could do something basic like adding it to a pre-prepared sauce and cooking it through.

i'm in Texas, USA. thank you for the tips. i will get some curry.

**i live near the coast, so i do have alot of options of buying fresh**
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    I like salmon sauteed in a pan with sirarcha seasoning and crushed red pepper. I like my foods a little spicy.
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    I make seafood chowder but I dont use cream, can use milk instead and thicken w cornflour. Onion and garlic (can use crushed garlic in a jar if not fresh) gives a good flavour to the chowder.
    Also fish patties are nice which is basically tinned fish mixed with spring onion, egg, anything else you'd like to add in for flavour, mashed potato then fry in a little olive oil.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    The good stuff- wild caught alaskan - is too darn expensive.
    So, I take fish oil.
    Kirkland brand from Costco.
    2,000 mg a day.
    Never buy farm raised fish. Ever.
    Google - fish high in mercury to be avoided.
    Google - fish high in omega 3's.
    Note: Salmon at restaurants will always be farm raised unless otherwise specified on the menu.
    I don't think shrimp is high in omega 3's (at all).
    i take 4 grams of Omega-3 per day but my dr said from food is better. thanks for the mercury warning. i had no idea.

• WeddedBliss1992
    coco_bee wrote: »
    I make seafood chowder but I dont use cream, can use milk instead and thicken w cornflour. Onion and garlic (can use crushed garlic in a jar if not fresh) gives a good flavour to the chowder.
    Also fish patties are nice which is basically tinned fish mixed with spring onion, egg, anything else you'd like to add in for flavour, mashed potato then fry in a little olive oil.
    seafood chowder sounds amazing! that is a great idea! i can do fish and shrimp to make it more palatable!

• coco_bee
    [/quote]
    seafood chowder sounds amazing! that is a great idea! i can do fish and shrimp to make it more palatable!

Yes you can :) and if you wanted to make it more filling, you could boil up some pasta, fresh egg fettucine or whatever you fancy, put pasta in bowl, scoop chowder on top and voila there is dinner :)

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited August 2015
    I like
    - Smoked mackerel sometimes, also grilled or fried mackerel. I buy the smoked stuff prepared from a grocery store, and the grilled stuff from a local restaurant, honestly, just bc that place does it so well.
    - Pan-fried trout (I can make this :) )
    - BBQ'd sardines, Portuguese style. They're bigger than the canned ones. Just grilled w brine & lemon. (I also go to a restaurant for these.) You can grill any fish that way, though, always tastes good
    - Baked salmon (just the old foil trick)
    - Salmon & cream cheese sandwiches (on a flatbread w capers & sliced red onion)
    - Tuna sandwiches (I use half-fat mayo, green onions, and sometimes celery)
    - Masala fish (Apollo style, for example) - basically it's spicy fried & battered fish. I haven't tried to make it and haven't had it in a while - used to get it from a GREAT restaurant that closed down a few years ago.
    - English pub style fried (& battered) fish
    - Fake bouillabase (a real recipe here). I saw in another thread that you're watching dietary cholesterol, though? I guess it's unclear whether it matters for everyone, but Shellfish/shrimp apparently have a lot. If they're ok:
    - Mussels in white wine sauce
    - Shrimp & scallops sauteed in oil w garlic, green onions, paprika, lemon, salt (can add a bit of white wine if you want)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    It's nice that people are saying to avoid farmed fish, but that's not feasible for everyone. My local grocery store only has farmed fish.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited August 2015
    I really hate fish - all seafood actually, except shrimp. My dr has put me on a very strict diet to lower my cholesterol and he would like for me to start eating fish, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a fish that I might be able to tolerate, and a way to cook it? I have zero experience. Never purchased it, never cooked it. TFS in advance :)
    Maybe you could take a page out of the "too precious for vegetables book" and make chocolate milk - fish smoothies.
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    BJ's / Costco is great for fish! Try frozen salmon, Barramundi (sea bass), Ahi Tuna steaks...

Defrost, put in oven with a bit of olive oil and your favorite seasonings and you are good in 15-20 mins!

Find the seasonings you like. I also do Swordfish on the grill but that is more expensive and might not be good for you if you don't like fish.

R
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    I missed it...what is wrong with farm raised?
  • WeddedBliss1992
    i had salmon this morning at a brunch. orange salmon. taste wasn't too bad, but the texture got me. *sigh*
  • WeddedBliss1992
    Rhyalus wrote: »
    I missed it...what is wrong with farm raised?

i have no clue

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I grew up eating fish but really cannot do it now -- for about 15 reasons.
    Look for recipes for Blackened fish. Also the grocery store will have fish rubs and fish seasonings.
  • coco_bee
    I love chocolate fish but that doesn't count, sorry, hehe
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    I eat a lot of flounder and cod. The McCormick grill mates, especially the herb garlic one, and fried with a little butter. Yum! If you want to skip the butter, baked is awesome too. I also like to grill fish on a bed of lemon slices.
  • kirstym1108
    kirstym1108 Posts: 46 Member
    Cod loin baked with pesto; salmon fillets marinated in soy sauce, ginger, garlic and lemon juice then grilled; monkfish tails wrapped in parma ham and baked; tuna steaks marinated in lime juice, chilli and garlic; kedgeree with smoked haddock. Go to your local fishmonger or store with a wet fish counter and talk to them about things to try and recipe ideas.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I like tilapia, its very mild. reminds me of shrimp alot actually. try it out in a diner first, to see if you like it, before trying at home.