Hello!! Thoughts on the 70% nutrition, 30% gym mentality??

Options

Replies

• glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I took my kids to an ammusement park today for a couple of hours, i played outside with them. I carry my 3 year old way more than i used to for the sole purpose of burning calories. I aggressively do laundry. I rarely sit, its just not part of 'me'

But there is no way to log that stuff...

I don't want any food bad enough to have to run for it.

But that's me.

I will start weight lifting ..one day..today is not that day. [/quote]

You're probably getting in more exercise than you think but not counting it cuz it's not happening in a gym ;)

There are lots more ways to exercise than running and lifting weights. For example, I like to walk, hike, garden, swim, and do yoga. If I'm not active, I get cranky and I don't sleep well.
    [/quote]

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm

Over ninety percent of successful weight lossers modified their food intake.

Over ninety percent of successful weight lossers have an exercise program.
  • 555_FILK
    555_FILK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    I will start weight lifting ..one day..today is not that day.

Probably the day you look in the mirror and realize what skinny-fat means. :oB)
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    I took my kids to an ammusement park today for a couple of hours, i played outside with them. I carry my 3 year old way more than i used to for the sole purpose of burning calories. I aggressively do laundry. I rarely sit, its just not part of 'me'

Why do you think all of that doesn't count as exercise? Or if you do, what did you mean by "most people here" don't consider it exercise?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    weight management is simply about energy balance...you take in less energy (calories) than you expend, you burn fat to make up the difference...you take in more energy (calories) than you expend, that excess energy is stored as fat (energy reserves) for later use.

weight management is most efficiently managed through your diet. as an example, i ride a good 60 - 80 miles per week, sometimes more; I lift 2-3 days per week; I usually run a 5K once or twice per week; I walk my dog regularly; I do a little hiking and swimming, etc. I've lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight doing all of that...the difference between those three weight management objectives wasn't the exercise, it had everything to do with how much I was eating.

This. I've always maintain a pretty active lifestyle whether I was losing, gaining or maintaining. The difference maker was the food I was putting in my face.

Me as well. I have always been very active and exercised, but that fork-to-mouth movement made such a difference as to weight management. :)
  • SLLRunner
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @bcalvanese, it seems to me you are contradicting yourself.

First you say:
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen. Fitness happens in the gym... is just so totally wrong. I can't believe you people keep going around, and around, and around, and around with this wrong way of thinking.

and then you say:
    The only thing that happens in the kitchen is "calories in".
    The only thing that happens with exercise (not just the gym) is 'calories out".

In other words, diet happens in the kitchen and fitness happens in the gym (or, from exercise). :)
    It is a combination of both of these things that will determine a persons long term success rate, and to me they are both equally important until you get to a healthy weight and a good fitness level. once you do that, it's relatively easy to not gain weight, and you only need to exercise enough to maintain your fitness level.

I think the problem is that people are overcomplicating this to the point that they can't see the simple facts of it.

However, as you say once again that it's the combination of both that determine long term success rate, please remember that exercise is not necessary for weight loss. In fact, some people can't exercise due to disabilities. How do people who cannot exercise maintain a healthy weight? How do people who can't exercise lose weight and maintain?

Some people don't like to exercise, yet they successfully lose weight and keep it off. There are many success stories here.

I agree that exercise is awesome--I work on moving every single day, I am fit and healthy and I can't imagine my life without weight lifting and running. I love to walk too and do the elliptical machine. However, if I can't exercise, I want to make sure that I maintain my weight, which means my diet absolutely belongs in the kitchen and I must have control over my eating habits.

@ESotrops, the only thing needed to lose weight is a calorie deficit, exercise is not necessary. Whether or not you exercise. there was always calories out by the mere fact that you are alive. However, exercise provides fitness and raises your total daily energy expenditure so that you can eat a bit more.
  • 555_FILK
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    However, exercise provides fitness and raises your total daily energy expenditure so that you can eat a bit more.

Or lose a bit more.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    555_FILK wrote: »
    However, exercise provides fitness and raises your total daily energy expenditure so that you can eat a bit more.

Or lose a bit more.

Well, that would depend on your goals. But, the point is that exercise is not necessary as to weight loss. :)
  • 555_FILK
    Options
    555_FILK wrote: »

Or lose a bit more.

Well, that would depend on your goals. But, the point is that exercise is not necessary as to weight loss. :)

Fair enough B)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    @mccindy72 makes a good point as others have. I think using exercise as a way to lose weight is a sure fire way to risk a 100%+ regain.

And yet, oddly, the single most common characteristic in people who keep the weight off is...

...regular, vigorous exercise.

Sorry, that advice is flat out wrong.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    @mccindy72 makes a good point as others have. I think using exercise as a way to lose weight is a sure fire way to risk a 100%+ regain.

And yet, oddly, the single most common characteristic in people who keep the weight off is...

...regular, vigorous exercise.

Sorry, that advice is flat out wrong.

And yet that characteristic is as useful as the fact that most people going to the beach have in common that they eat ice cream.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The stat I read about was that of the people who did not regain and successfully maintained 90% of those exercised on a regular basis. Oh I just read what shell wrote and she is spot on people cant read or they dont understand whats being said. Its an interesting stat, but people are using it to say soemthing it does not.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

First you say:
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen. Fitness happens in the gym... is just so totally wrong. I can't believe you people keep going around, and around, and around, and around with this wrong way of thinking.

and then you say:

In other words, diet happens in the kitchen and fitness happens in the gym (or, from exercise). :)
    It is a combination of both of these things that will determine a persons long term success rate, and to me they are both equally important until you get to a healthy weight and a good fitness level. once you do that, it's relatively easy to not gain weight, and you only need to exercise enough to maintain your fitness level.

I think the problem is that people are overcomplicating this to the point that they can't see the simple facts of it.

However, as you say once again that it's the combination of both that determine long term success rate, please remember that exercise is not necessary for weight loss. In fact, some people can't exercise due to disabilities. How do people who cannot exercise maintain a healthy weight? How do people who can't exercise lose weight and maintain?

Some people don't like to exercise, yet they successfully lose weight and keep it off. There are many success stories here.

I agree that exercise is awesome--I work on moving every single day, I am fit and healthy and I can't imagine my life without weight lifting and running. I love to walk too and do the elliptical machine. However, if I can't exercise, I want to make sure that I maintain my weight, which means my diet absolutely belongs in the kitchen and I must have control over my eating habits.

@ESotrops, the only thing needed to lose weight is a calorie deficit, exercise is not necessary. Whether or not you exercise. there was always calories out by the mere fact that you are alive. However, exercise provides fitness and raises your total daily energy expenditure so that you can eat a bit more.

I don't think you are getting what I am saying here.

I said "weight loss happens in the kitchen" is not true, not "diet happens in the kitchen". Weight loss and diet are totally different, and I don't know why you chose to twist my words around, but that is not what I meant at all.

"Weight loss" does not only happen in the kitchen. It only happens when the calories in are less than the calories out, and that can be accomplished through diet as well as exercise, or a combination of both (which is preferred).

I also know there are people who cant exercise, but I also know there are people who say they cant exercise but could if they consulted their doctor(s) and setup a plan that they "can" do. They just choose to say they cant exercise. There are many ailments that could greatly benefit from exercise, but some people simply choose not to pursue them.

There are some people who cannot exercise at all, and the only way to control weight for those people is diet.

It is known that most people do not succeed long term with diet alone.
    It is known that most people succeed long term with a combination of diet and exercise.

I think diet and exercise are equally important to get to a healthy weight, and I think that exercise becomes more important once you get to a healthy weight because a fit body burns calories much better than a non fit body, and at that point its pretty easy to not over eat.

True, you can lose weight with diet alone, but the odds are greatly against long term success.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »

First you say:

and then you say:

I said "weight loss happens in the kitchen" is not true, not "diet happens in the kitchen". Weight loss and diet are totally different, and I don't know why you chose to twist my words around, but that is not what I meant at all.

"Weight loss" does not only happen in the kitchen. It only happens when the calories in are less than the calories out, and that can be accomplished through diet as well as exercise, or a combination of both (which is preferred).

I also know there are people who cant exercise, but I also know there are people who say they cant exercise but could if they consulted their doctor(s) and setup a plan that they "can" do. They just choose to say they cant exercise. There are many ailments that could greatly benefit from exercise, but some people simply choose not to pursue them.

There are some people who cannot exercise at all, and the only way to control weight for those people is diet.

It is known that most people succeed long term with a combination of diet and exercise.

I think diet and exercise are equally important to get to a healthy weight, and I think that exercise becomes more important once you get to a healthy weight because a fit body burns calories much better than a non fit body, and at that point its pretty easy to not over eat.

True, you can lose weight with diet alone, but the odds are greatly against long term success.

This is still blatantly wrong as half a dozen people pointed out.
  • 999tigger
    edited August 2015
    Options
    SLL its basic cico, so your picking apart of bclavaneses point was funny and mindboggling. Nothing like taking soemthing out of context.

This weight loss in the kitchen really irritates me because its not the whole truth.

The kitchen is the starting point and its quite possible to create either a deficit or a suprlus depending on how much we eat. That gives it a unique position and you cna diet by that alone. Nobody every disputes that point its basic cico.

What you no exercise people dismiss is the effect that exercise can have. The calories burned in exercise influence CIO just as much as calories consumed. Its the deficit that determines matters and not where it comes from. So your idea that its only fitness that happens in the gym is wrong because those burned calories affect the deficit or do you claim they vanish into thin air?

All things being equal a person who exercises is going to be much better off than someone who does no exercise at all. Even if they are on the same deficit.

1. The person gets to eat more even if its 100% of the eatback calories, which means its more sustainable.
    2. Lifting will help retain LBM which means a greater % of fat loss, avoiding skinny fat and a faster attainment of target because its fat people wnat to lose.
    3. Cardio will give you the benefits of being fitter, but also a raised metabolism.
    4. Better moods and feelgood factor which has a knock on effect on mental heealth and attitude to diet.
    5. Some people might not eatback all calories and thus they get the additional calorie burn as well.

Successful weight loss is not the exclusive territory of the kitchen.

*Becalvanese your reasoning is out and your use of that statitstic isnt really relevant to the point you are trying to make. The stat I read was of the small % who successfully maintained 90% of those used a regime of diet and exercise.
  • SLLRunner
    edited August 2015
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »

First you say:

and then you say:

Yes, I do get what you're saying, and I didn't twist your words. Weight loss comes from calorie restriction, which happens in the kitchen. Anything after that is personal preference only. People who don't exercise can keep the weight off too by retricting calories.

That said, it seems to me you are misinformed regarding the study you spoke about above. The fact is a small percentage of people keep the weight off, but 90% of those that do exercise reguarly. That's not all that many people.

A fit body is indeed more efficient, but fitness does not make a person immune to weight gain. Fit people can get fat too just by the mere action of eating over the TDEE.

The odds are against the person who does not get their fork-to-mouth movement under control because eating too much is the reason people regain weight.
  • 999tigger
    Options

Yes, I do get what you're saying, and I didn't twist your words. Weight loss comes from calorie restriction, which happens in the kitchen. Anything after that is personal preference only. People who don't exercise can keep the weight off too by retricting calories.

Well it depends what you mean by calorie restriction. Only the deficit matters and not really where it comes from. You are again dismissing the calories you cna burn in the gym and there effect on the deficit. Its basic cico for goodness sake.

You are also again going on about people not exercising, but nobody has said you have to do exercise, just that if you do it has an effect on the deficit. How cna you not understand that?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    SLL its basic cico, so your picking apart of bclavaneses point was funny and mindboggling. Nothing like taking soemthing out of context.

This weight loss in the kitchen really irritates me because its not the whole truth.

The kitchen is the starting point and its quite possible to create either a deficit or a suprlus depending on how much we eat. That gives it a unique position and you cna diet by that alone. Nobody every disputes that point its basic cico.

What you no exercise people dismiss is the effect that exercise can have. The calories burned in exercise influence CIO just as much as calories consumed. Its the deficit that determines matters and not where it comes from. So your idea that its only fitness that happens in the gym is wrong because those burned calories affect the deficit or do you claim they vanish into thin air?

All things being equal a person who exercises is going to be much better off than someone who does no exercise at all. Even if they are on the same deficit.

1. The person gets to eat more even if its 100% of the eatback calories, which means its more sustainable.
    2. Lifting will help retain LBM which means a greater % of fat loss, avoiding skinny fat and a faster attainment of target because its fat people wnat to lose.
    3. Cardio will give you the benefits of being fitter, but also a raised metabolism.
    4. Better moods and feelgood factor which has a knock on effect on mental heealth and attitude to diet.
    5. Some people might not eatback all calories and thus they get the additional calorie burn as well.

Successful weight loss is not the exclusive territory of the kitchen.

*Becalvanese your reasoning is out and your use of that statitstic isnt really relevant to the point you are trying to make. The stat I read was of the small % who successfully maintained 90% of those used a regime of diet and exercise.

Tigger, it is basic CICO. I picked apart his post because he's wrong. I agree with all the benefits of exercise, but you can keep the weight off without it.

Glad I could mind boggle. :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm one for "whatever works for you" mentality. You could create a deficit either by eating less calories (dieting) or by spending more calories (exercising) or various degrees of both.

People who don't want to exercise can lose weight by restricting calories, and people who don't want to restrict can lose weight by keeping their intake constant but introducing more physical activity.

Note that in both cases at least some work needs to be done in the kitchen, either to create a deficit or to avoid ruining one.