Vegan diet?

Options
Has anyone tried a vegan diet for weight loss?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    I applaud people who are vegans for ethical reasons, but feel eating vegan for purely weight loss reasons would be really challenging. I did lose weight when I was involuntarily mostly vegan for 6 weeks in Costa Rica, but I didn't have access to accidentally vegan junk food like Oreos.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Veganism has absolutely nothing to do with weightloss.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    A vegan lifestyle takes a lot of dedication, commitment, and time. I can't imagine doing it just for weight loss. It takes a lot of planning in order to make sure you get all the required nutrients and enough protein. Very few restaurants and convenience foods have vegan options.
  • dais718
    dais718 Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here lmao

I lost 12kg (65kg gained from binging to 53kg) just by going vegan, in a few months??? I ate bread (like, a demi baguette or two 4 for £1 supermarket rolls) everyday, and dark chocolate and popcorn regularly or otherwise go and eat at a restaurant at lunch. I would average 1,800kcal per day as well as walking about 10,000 steps a day. I'm 5'4 and have always had a slow metabolism. All I did was walk to and from sixth form.

It is easy to maintain and you feel so good. Honestly, look into the health benefits of it and it makes sense. It works for me and helped me on my way to cure binging/emotional eating. It isn't a magic key to weight loss but it sure cuts out a lot of junk. It also made me more sensitive to food choices, which means that I don't mindlessly eat as often.

I did it because I wanted to prove to my boyfriend I could be vegan and stick to it, and over a year later, here I am! For me, it worked and I can honestly see me never going back!

I think a lot of people see veganism as something daunting and scary, some insane way of life that is impossible to live - you don't have to eat quinoa and make fancy recipes every night (heck, I have never cooked or eaten quinoa). On paper, veganism seems like a big assault course with surprises and pitfalls at every turn when in practice, it's really easy and rewarding

So yea... take from that what you will : ')
  • Fandabie89
    Fandabie89 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm not just doing it for weight loss I'm also doing it for other health benefits I haven't touched meat or dairy for a few days and I thought I'd struggle but I haven't and I really enjoy the foods that are available :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Fandabie89 wrote: »
    I'm not just doing it for weight loss I'm also doing it for other health benefits I haven't touched meat or dairy for a few days and I thought I'd struggle but I haven't and I really enjoy the foods that are available :)
    Get a crock pot if you do not already have one and make some Bean-Kale-Sweet Potato Soup. :)
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/sweet-potato-kale-soup
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    This
    Has anyone tried a vegan diet for weight loss?

Does not mean this

Vegan diet is a moral/ethical stance...it takes a whole lot of knowledge and effort to make it a healthy nutritious diet for a human. Make sure you are getting all your requisite nutritional intake..check the vegan society for guidelines

If you want to lose weight at the same time, weigh and log all your food to a calorie defecit
  • dais718
    dais718 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Oh yea! I misunderstood!

Dairy and meat are acidic to our bodies basically, and the saturated fat content is harmful etc!

Ethically, veganism is essentially the way to stop funding the cruelty of the meat/dairy/egg industry!

And I'm glad you're doing great :D it's common for people to be like "WHAT ABOUT PROTEIN??????" and stuff but veganism is absolutely nutrient dense and sufficient for our needs :) I would suggest looking up Youtubers and googling stuff!

Have a great day!!!

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I think going vegan is a great choice, but agree that you need to be careful about getting your protein and minerals in. It's not difficult, but it won't happen by accident.

I have my food diary set up to show me iron and calcium instead of carbs and fat. That way I can see if I'm low and need to either supplement or make some different food choices. I also supplement B12 because it does not occur naturally in any plant foods. Last but not least, a microalgae derived DHA/EPA is a good idea because the omega 3's in flaxseeds and walnuts might not be converted in sufficient quantity.

Veganism doesn't guarantee weight loss, but it is often a side effect, as many convenience foods and restaurant meals are no longer available, and a lot more food is home cooked, so you can control the ingredients and cooking methods.
  • tanyaltrl
    tanyaltrl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I considered veganism for years and the only two things that stopped me were my love of cheese, and concern about getting enough protein. Then, I read books by Dr. McDougal, Dr. Doug Graham, and Dr. Neal Barnard and The China Study (Dr. T Colin Campbell) and learned how animal products are detrimental to our health, vegetables and fruits DO have protein and are actually better absorbed by our bodies, and here's the kicker -- The World Health Organization found we only need 5% of our total calories from protein!! Our society makes it sound like we need so much more to fund the meat and dairy industry! The China Study covers all this in detail. Amazing how multiple doctors research have come to similar findings. Neal Barnard and Doug Graham specifically talk about weight loss.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    dais718 wrote: »

Oh yea! I misunderstood!

Dairy and meat are acidic to our bodies basically, and the saturated fat content is harmful etc!

Ethically, veganism is essentially the way to stop funding the cruelty of the meat/dairy/egg industry!

And I'm glad you're doing great :D it's common for people to be like "WHAT ABOUT PROTEIN??????" and stuff but veganism is absolutely nutrient dense and sufficient for our needs :) I would suggest looking up Youtubers and googling stuff!

Have a great day!!!

All wrong.
  • heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Meat and animal products are not harmful to our bodies... So strange how people will buy into this stuff so easily. If you're going to eat vegan because that's your moral choice, go ahead. But don't make such ridiculous claims that have absolutely no valid scientific data to back them up.
  • Krissy252
    Krissy252 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Read prevent and reverse heart disease by Dr Essyleton for the facts
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    dais718 wrote: »

Oh yea! I misunderstood!

Have a great day!!!

I'm all for ethical veganism, but vegans do have a plethora of nutrient-sparse options so do need to put effort into making nutrient-dense choices.

http://news.iheart.com/photos/snap-shots/31-junk-foods-that-are-accidentally-393548/#/0/24229123

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    OP, it looks as if you are getting many different messages in this thread. Veganism is an ethical stance against causing unnecessary animal exploitation and suffering. Just as non-vegans do, we lose weight if we are in a calorie deficit, we gain weight if we consume more calories than we need. Some people do lose weight when going vegan because it removes some calorie-dense foods from their diet (think cheese or some meats). If these foods aren't replaced by other foods, it will create a deficit. But many people maintain their weight or even gain weight.

I have been vegan for about ten years and recently lost 35 pounds (that I gained as a vegan). While losing the weight, I focused on the same things a non-vegan would -- calories in versus calories out.

You will see some vegans claim that veganism is the healthiest way to eat or that there is no way to eat animal products without harming yourself. I don't know of any sources that convincingly make that case. I am skeptical whenever anyone tells me they have found the one healthiest way to eat. What I do know is that it is totally possible to thrive as a vegan -- that's all I need to know in order to decide to live this way.

Going vegan won't automatically result in weight loss, but it is certainly possible for a vegan to lose weight.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    OP, it looks as if you are getting many different messages in this thread. Veganism is an ethical stance against causing unnecessary animal exploitation and suffering. Just as non-vegans do, we lose weight if we are in a calorie deficit, we gain weight if we consume more calories than we need. Some people do lose weight when going vegan because it removes some calorie-dense foods from their diet (think cheese or some meats). If these foods aren't replaced by other foods, it will create a deficit. But many people maintain their weight or even gain weight.

I have been vegan for about ten years and recently lost 35 pounds (that I gained as a vegan). While losing the weight, I focused on the same things a non-vegan would -- calories in versus calories out.

You will see some vegans claim that veganism is the healthiest way to eat or that there is no way to eat animal products without harming yourself. I don't know of any sources that convincingly make that case. I am skeptical whenever anyone tells me they have found the one healthiest way to eat. What I do know is that it is totally possible to thrive as a vegan -- that's all I need to know in order to decide to live this way.

Going vegan won't automatically result in weight loss, but it is certainly possible for a vegan to lose weight.

+1

FWIW-I found it easiest to lose weight when eating a "normal" diet including all animal products-including meat.

When I went veggie, I found it harder to stay within my calories and also hit all of my macro and micro requirements. A piece of chicken and a huge bowl of veggies paired with some egg whites is some filling *kitten*. I adjusted and worked on my choices for a few months.

I am now working towards veganism. Cutting out dairy products and eggs is easy-but it is pretty difficult to cut out all of the hidden sources (dairy and eggs are in A LOT of food). Frankly-I don't see what possible health benefit one would have from choosing bread without trace amounts of dairy over one with trace amounts of dairy. But that is part of being vegan. It is an ethical viewpoint, and does not only include your diet. I'm all for people reducing their consumption of animal products-but it is in no way a weight loss plan by default.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Vegan isn't JUST an ethical/moral view point. I have a co-worker that had a heart attack and his doctor put him on a super strict vegan diet because of it. So health reasons are a valid reason for being vegan.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Vegan isn't JUST an ethical/moral view point. I have a co-worker that had a heart attack and his doctor put him on a super strict vegan diet because of it. So health reasons are a valid reason for being vegan.

Your friend probably needs a new doctor, then.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

really, 'cuz eating fish and stuff is something that is usually prescribed from medical professionals where heart issues are concerned. I've never in my life heard of a doctor prescribing and actual vegan diet for heart issues. substantially plant based? yes. low in saturated fat? yes...but usually fish is definitely on the menu here and other forms of lean protein are generally acceptable.

• clynnrychly
    clynnrychly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I went vegan for 30 days and lost 12 lbs (gave up alcohol too for that 30 days). Going vegan alone isn't enough though, I learned early on in that experiment. There are a lot of high calorie crappy foods that are vegan (Lays original and coconut milk ice cream were my kryptonite).

That being said it is a great way to cut down on what some might consider "problem foods" as you'll be eating a lot less bread, desserts, pizza, fried foods, etc. but you have to be sure not replace them with other bad foods.