I'm feeling down and wanting to Quit

Options

Replies

• michelleselmon
    michelleselmon Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    First of all, do not compare yourself to your husband. Everyone's journey will be different. My husband lost 10 lbs in just over 3 weeks by cutting out soda. I lost nothing!

Secondly, your husband is not eating enough for a male. He is going to lose muscle and not just fat, plus he is not going to get the nutrients that his body needs.

What was the calorie goal that mfp set for you? I would use that and see how you do. Weigh all of your food, you could be eating more calories than you think.

Log everything that you put into your mouth! Littles bits of food here and there can add up.

I sat my weight loss goal at 2 pounds a week so It's at 1200 right now but i if i move it down to 1.5 weight loss i will get 1420
  • michelleselmon
    Options
    The minimum number of calories that MFP recommends for a man is 1500. You can't force your husband to change his behavior, but that doesn't mean you have to encourage it.

I don't Encourage it I will warn him again but he is going to do what he wants in the end I am going to just focus on my self for now I know his weight loss will come to a stall soon enough Men are so stubborn lol
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You can set your calories for zero or for a million. If you're not weighing your food, it won't matter.

Again: input your stats into MFP. Go with the numbers they give you. Then: WEIGH ALL YOUR FOOD AND LOG IT HONESTLY.

That's it.
  • michelleselmon
    Options
    You can set your calories for zero or for a million. If you're not weighing your food, it won't matter.

Again: input your stats into MFP. Go with the numbers they give you. Then: WEIGH ALL YOUR FOOD AND LOG IT HONESTLY.

That's it.

I will take your Advice and use it thanks so much for everything you truly have helped me understand I am going to get a food scale as soon as i get paid thanks again :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    The minimum number of calories that MFP recommends for a man is 1500. You can't force your husband to change his behavior, but that doesn't mean you have to encourage it.

I don't Encourage it I will warn him again but he is going to do what he wants in the end I am going to just focus on my self for now I know his weight loss will come to a stall soon enough Men are so stubborn lol
    If he's in the 300s, the only reason his weight loss might stall is if he started eating more. If he's in his 300s, unless he's 8 feet tall, he can get probably get more than 3000 calories a day from stored fat alone. The problem for him at 1200 is getting enough vitamins and minerals, not calories per se.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Don't compare your progress with your husband's, or anyone else's for that matter.

Don't worry about adjusting calories right now. Your main focus should be on weighing your food and logging accurately.

You got a lot of good advice on your other thread a few days ago. Follow that and be a little patient. It also might be a good idea to stay off of the scale for a week or two while you work on tightening up your logging.
  • michelleselmon
    Options
    In the beginning, it can be overwhelming because there's so many things to learn. Just do baby steps. Start with logging, you did. Don't worrya bout macros yet, just keep working on logging accurately. Get a food scale and start weighing your food, you'll be surprised how much of a difference it makes.

Also, try to avoid comparing yourself to your husband. There's a lot that can be said about his quick lost that's already been said but also at the end of the day, you're different and will have different things that work for each of you. Support him, but also focus on yourself.

It's hard not to compare when your both weighing yourselves at the same time lol and he starts bragging It made me feel like crap because we started this almost a month ago. So i was feeling so defeated last night but i feel better today and i'm glad it's a new day and i can try again
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you're going to start weighing and logging food accurately! That's the key to weight loss. Like others, I'm concerned about how little your husband is eating. It's not enough for a male.

I don't know how much weight you have to lose so our calorie goals are going to be different, but I'm losing consistently on 1,600 calories daily. The again, I might have much more weight to lose than you do. I just weigh and log everything (except water).
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Weighing your food will change the whole game. Digital food scales aren't expensive and can be found at Walmart, Target, Amazon...so many places. Weighing everything took me a little longer in the beginning, but it's almost second nature to me now. I'm also washing a whole lot fewer dishes because I don't use measuring cups or spoons.

I just checked your diary and you really do need to start logging everything. MFP is giving you 1450 calories so you stick with that number (provided that everything is entered correctly. If your husband isn't weighing anything, he's probably eating more than 1200 (he should be, anyway) but he can eat more and still stay in a deficit because of his current weight, height, and just because he's a male.
  • michelleselmon
    Options
    how much working out should i do to lose 2 pounds a week? will jumping roping and walking 2-3 miles 6 days a week be enough to lose 2 pounds a week?
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options

That's it.

I will take your Advice and use it thanks so much for everything you truly have helped me understand I am going to get a food scale as soon as i get paid thanks again :)

I didn't realize that you didn't have a food scale; I thought you just weren't weighing.

Definitely get one as soon as you are able. They are quite affordable. You can get one in Walmart for under $20. Make sure it's digital, weighs in both ounces and grams, and has a "tare" function (allowing you to rest the scale to zero).

Good luck!

• michelleselmon
    Options
    Weighing your food will change the whole game. Digital food scales aren't expensive and can be found at Walmart, Target, Amazon...so many places. Weighing everything took me a little longer in the beginning, but it's almost second nature to me now. I'm also washing a whole lot fewer dishes because I don't use measuring cups or spoons.

I just checked your diary and you really do need to start logging everything. MFP is giving you 1450 calories so you stick with that number (provided that everything is entered correctly. If your husband isn't weighing anything, he's probably eating more than 1200 (he should be, anyway) but he can eat more and still stay in a deficit because of his current weight, height, and just because he's a male.

HE literally eats nothing he will eat a cup of fruit at work and then a chicken wrap when he gets home from work at 12 am I thought you were not suppose to eat so late either The latest i eat a snack is 10:30 pm
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, it can be overwhelming because there's so many things to learn. Just do baby steps. Start with logging, you did. Don't worrya bout macros yet, just keep working on logging accurately. Get a food scale and start weighing your food, you'll be surprised how much of a difference it makes.

Also, try to avoid comparing yourself to your husband. There's a lot that can be said about his quick lost that's already been said but also at the end of the day, you're different and will have different things that work for each of you. Support him, but also focus on yourself.

It's hard not to compare when your both weighing yourselves at the same time lol and he starts bragging It made me feel like crap because we started this almost a month ago. So i was feeling so defeated last night but i feel better today and i'm glad it's a new day and i can try again

It might be worth it to talk to him about how you feel as well. If you're feeling like he is bragging, let him know it's great he's had a loss, but ask him to maybe tone it down a bit.
  • michelleselmon
    Options

That's it.

I didn't realize that you didn't have a food scale; I thought you just weren't weighing.

Definitely get one as soon as you are able. They are quite affordable. You can get one in Walmart for under $20. Make sure it's digital, weighs in both ounces and grams, and has a "tare" function (allowing you to rest the scale to zero).

Good luck!

Yeah that's the problem i don't have one at the moment :( as soon as my Husband gets paid i am going to deff buy one. I am going to go see what they have today at walmart :)
  • michelleselmon
    Options

It might be worth it to talk to him about how you feel as well. If you're feeling like he is bragging, let him know it's great he's had a loss, but ask him to maybe tone it down a bit.

True i don't think he means any harm but it truly did hurt my feelings somewhat i have been trying so hard I just couldn't still believe i didn't lose 1 pound but i am going to be true to myself and start weighing my food and being honest and taking it 1 step at a time
  • michelleselmon
    Options

That's it.

Good luck!

ok so the only thing i need to use measuring cups for is Solids correct? everyone says not to use measuring cups their Inaccurate
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Im sure they have all told you, but you sound confused its just a case of adopting behaviour that puts you at a deficit consitently. When its not working then you should first look at improvements including weighing and logging your food. That comes first. Get the deficit and then over time you will lose.

Be patient and realistic plus dont overdo the exercise. Slow and steady till you build up. Going off too fast leads to burnout and frustration.
  • michelleselmon
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Im sure they have all told you, but you sound confused its just a case of adopting behaviour that puts you at a deficit consitently. When its not working then you should first look at improvements including weighing and logging your food. That comes first. Get the deficit and then over time you will lose.

Be patient and realistic plus dont overdo the exercise. Slow and steady till you build up. Going off too fast leads to burnout and frustration.

I am confused with all of this but i get what i need to do I am going to weigh all my food and take it 1 day at a time
  • booksandchocolate12
    edited August 2015
    Options

That's it.

Good luck!

ok so the only thing i need to use measuring cups for is Solids correct? everyone says not to use measuring cups their Inaccurate

No! Use the scale for solids, measuring cups for liquids.

As to your other comment about not eating late: it doesn't matter when you eat. People have ideas that you shouldn't eat after 6pm or 7 or 8...but it truly doesn't matter. In many other countries (that don't have the obesity problem we have in the US), dinner isn't until 8 or even 9 at night.

It's the quantity, not the time.

• whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I Weighed myself again on 3 Different Scales and i did indeed gain 6 pounds from eating healthy but i have to admit i wasn't weighing my food I am trying so hard and I'm proud of my Husband but he's eating not even 1200 calories on most days and he just lost 10 pounds. I think i need to be more active
    I am going to drop my Calories down to 1200 My BMR is around 1700-1800
    And i hear i need to stay in that range of eating I just think maybe I'm eating way too much I just want to see Results like he's seeing :( It's hard when he's eating 2 times a day and losing and he tells me I'm eating way too much and to eat 1200 Is he going about this all wrong?
    Or am i going about this all wrong should i eat 1200 and see where that gets me any help or suggestions will help thanks

I was not weighing every thing and my weigh loss was very very slow. It's much better now and I feel better for it. I weigh everything now.
    Start a new day a new you.
    You can do it ❤️