Scared the weight loss will stop

Options
Hi all!
I haven't been on here in a while, and only started logging back on in the past few days.
I'm 5'5 - 5'6, 81.1kg (178)
Short term goal (October): below 75kg if possible
Long term goal: 62kg - 65kg

I've lost 2.4kg my first week on MFP, I have been gradually exercising more, eating better in general, cutting out (as much *whisper*) junk food, drinking more water, less coffee and tea etc.

I'm just worried that the weight loss will stop! I always get around a certain weight (72kg) and then it just stops.

I'm on the defult 1200 cals a day.

We have a trip to Florida in October, ideally I would like to lose as much weight as possible! I DO NOT want to feel like a whale on our day trip to Miami, and I want to be able to buy some new *smaller* clothes!

I need some tips, ideas, encouragement from others in my weight loss boat!!

Thank you in advance

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You will lose from a caloric deficit. There is no bad food, so get that out of your head.....well maybe kimchee ..GAG! Exercise is for your health and helps the deficit.
  • Roxannehcarter
    Roxannehcarter Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Haha ooohhhh and the binge I may have in America
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Don't relax and start eating more when you get to 72kg this time.
  • Roxannehcarter
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You will lose from a caloric deficit. There is no bad food, so get that out of your head.....well maybe kimchee ..GAG! Exercise is for your health and helps the deficit.

What in kimchee???
  • Roxannehcarter
    Options

Eating more? ??
    Can you tell me why?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

What in kimchee???

hwff8mf88thz.jpeg

It's like pickled nasty!
  • Roxannehcarter
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Log your food. Even be a little obsessive about it!

Get a food scale and use it - most especially with things like the ingredients in your main course for a meal, any foods that are high in nutrition but also calorie-dense (peanut butter is a good example), and foods that are kinda risky if you estimate them - like grains. I don't worry if I'm 'off' when I estimate how much fresh spinach I throw into my spinach salad, but I do worry about the hard-boiled egg or almonds I might add.

Be aware of higher-sodium foods. You don't need to worry much about sodium unless your doctor has told you to reduce it, but foods with a lot of sodium will often cause a temporary increase on the scale because of water retention.

Don't freak out over the natural ups and downs and delays in weight loss (hello, hormones. Hello, sodium. Hello, stress. Hello water retention because of muscle repair after a hard workout). Weight loss is not a constant, so learn to focus on your overall weight loss trend rather than what the scale says today.

If you carefully log, and always eat below your deficit, you will lose weight. And the best part is that you can eventually learn to trust that system. I can finally completely relax and enjoy a serving of Talenti gelato without worrying that I screwed up, because I KNOW when it fits into my calories for the week.

Coffee and tea are fine as long as you aren't filling them up with other calories.

I promise, this doesn't have to be complicated or stressful, and you really will be able to let go of that fear about the weight loss. Just stay on the path MFP sets and you'll be fine.

That was great information! Thank you :)
    Someone up the top said to increase my calories when I get to my "stuck" point. Will MFP up my calories?
  • doodle101
    doodle101 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ignore the thought that you should eat more when you get to 72kg. If you stop losing weight it is because you are taking in too many calories and not eating at a deficit.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Log your food. Even be a little obsessive about it!

Get a food scale and use it - most especially with things like the ingredients in your main course for a meal, any foods that are high in nutrition but also calorie-dense (peanut butter is a good example), and foods that are kinda risky if you estimate them - like grains. I don't worry if I'm 'off' when I estimate how much fresh spinach I throw into my spinach salad, but I do worry about the hard-boiled egg or almonds I might add.

Be aware of higher-sodium foods. You don't need to worry much about sodium unless your doctor has told you to reduce it, but foods with a lot of sodium will often cause a temporary increase on the scale because of water retention.

Don't freak out over the natural ups and downs and delays in weight loss (hello, hormones. Hello, sodium. Hello, stress. Hello water retention because of muscle repair after a hard workout). Weight loss is not a constant, so learn to focus on your overall weight loss trend rather than what the scale says today.

If you carefully log, and always eat below your deficit, you will lose weight. And the best part is that you can eventually learn to trust that system. I can finally completely relax and enjoy a serving of Talenti gelato without worrying that I screwed up, because I KNOW when it fits into my calories for the week.

Coffee and tea are fine as long as you aren't filling them up with other calories.

I promise, this doesn't have to be complicated or stressful, and you really will be able to let go of that fear about the weight loss. Just stay on the path MFP sets and you'll be fine.

That was great information! Thank you :)
    Someone up the top said to increase my calories when I get to my "stuck" point. Will MFP up my calories?

I think she meant when u get down to goal or closer dont relax on tracking/counting and start eating more. Usually thats what happens to people. They get so close and revert to old ways. Thats why we get stuck. Keep at a deficit and u will keep losing. Eat at maintainence and u will stop losing. Eat more than maintainence u will gain.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Eating more? ??
    Can you tell me why?
    Don't relax. Don't eat more.

• lindaloo1213
    Options
    I was at 183-185 for almost 2 months amd I kept at it and tightened up the last few days and now uts coming off again. Down to 178 this week and I am 5'6" also.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    doodle101 wrote: »
    Ignore the thought that you should eat more when you get to 72kg. If you stop losing weight it is because you are taking in too many calories and not eating at a deficit.
    Yes, that's why I said don't start eating more. There's almost no way someone who weighs 72kg would start gaining weight at that low of a calorie level. Almost certainly what happens is that OP loses discipline and starts eating more.
  • Roxannehcarter
    Options

Eating more? ??
    Can you tell me why?
    Don't relax. Don't eat more.

Haha I fully read it wrong!!!
  • Roxannehcarter
    Options
    I was at 183-185 for almost 2 months amd I kept at it and tightened up the last few days and now uts coming off again. Down to 178 this week and I am 5'6" also.

What did you do to tighten up??
    More exercise? Eat less? :)
  • lindaloo1213
    Options
    Stayed at my calories. I was going over by a little every day. Once I reeled it back in it came off again. Those extra couple hundred were holding me at maintainence basically. I have my lpss set for 1 pound per week so eating over my goal was not a good idea.
  • Roxannehcarter
    Options
    What is lpss?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What is lpss?

typo - I think she meant "loss"
  • Roxannehcarter
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Oh haha duh! Should've read it properly
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Examples of how I recently "tightened up" are:
    Use water instead of almond or coconut milk in my ptotein shake.
    Have 1/2 English muffin instead of whole.
    Eat 3/4 serving of nuts instead of full serving.
    Omit a snack when I can do so without getting hungry or craving.
    Add an extra, short walk mid afternoon.

A few little changes like this have been easy to incorporate and increased my loss by about 0.5 lb per week which is whst I was looking for. I had slowed to 1 lb or less per week this summer.