severe constipation due to pain medication

Options
lalainap19
lalainap19 Posts: 165 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone the past few days I've Been so severely constipated that I have fallen short of calories and my limit is only 1200 which concerns me yesterday was the first time I have ever had chia seeds and I'm trying to find other fiber dense low calorie foods that can help me regulate my digestive tract so if anyone has ideas or super fiber foods please let me know I am so uncomfortable and suffering.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Strong coffee. Whisky. Psyllium husk tablets if you want to supplement more fiber into your diet. There is always magnesium hydroxide tablets if needed... could it magnesium, I can't remember. Either one perhaps.

Oh and get off of 1200 calories if it's too restricting. It's far too low for most people. Your MFP weight loss goal is too aggressive and it probably won't end well.
  • lalainap19
    Options
    Strong coffee. Whisky. Psyllium husk tablets if you want to supplement more fiber into your diet. There is always magnesium hydroxide tablets if needed... could it magnesium, I can't remember. Either one perhaps.

Oh and get off of 1200 calories if it's too restricting. It's far too low for most people. Your MFP weight loss goal is too aggressive and it probably won't end well.

OK thanks so much ;-)
  • mhooge
    mhooge Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have problems with that too. You drinking enough water? Im eating All Bran Buds with my breakfast. 70 calories for 1/3 cup. Not bad in calories but very high in fibre. But make sure you drink your water.
  • lalainap19
    Options
    mhooge wrote: »
    I have problems with that too. You drinking enough water? Im eating All Bran Buds with my breakfast. 70 calories for 1/3 cup. Not bad in calories but very high in fibre. But make sure you drink your water.
    I have been falling shy of my water intake thanks for bringing that to my attention.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    coffee works wonders. there is some otc medicine. ask your dr what he recommends.
    I ate a bunch of fiber one products when I was put on "the good stuff"
    I track my fiber and try to eat more than is recommended
    stay hydrated
    make sure you don't cut out too much fat/oils.
  • lalainap19
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    coffee works wonders. there is some otc medicine. ask your dr what he recommends.
    I ate a bunch of fiber one products when I was put on "the good stuff"
    I track my fiber and try to eat more than is recommended
    stay hydrated
    make sure you don't cut out too much fat/oils.
    Ok in doing fiber 1 also and try coffee here and there maybe I'm just not that hydrated :-\
  • sjbuescher
    sjbuescher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love banana and spinach smoothies - you get good fiber from the spinach, tastes like banana and low calorie. You might also try picking up a healthy-digestive tea. I love drinking tea and it helps you get your water intake as well as possibly help with issues like constipation. Plain peppermint tea is known to help aid digestion, but I know my local supermarket carries brands of teas that have digestion specific teas, or you can search for laxative teas if you really need help getting things moving.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Introduce natural fiber sources slowly. I find that fibrous vegetables like lettuce to be kinder to my digestive tract than bran. I like soluble fiber sources like Chia seeds and oatmeal. Someone here recommended popcorn and I have to say, with it's fiber and volume, it does help keep things moving. Chia seeds, on the safe side, soak overnight in milk. They suck up a LOT of water and if eaten dry, could plug up your insides.

When I got severely constipated recovering from surgery, I took Senokot as a stool softener before I went to bed. Worked like a charm.
  • lalainap19
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Introduce natural fiber sources slowly. I find that fibrous vegetables like lettuce to be kinder to my digestive tract than bran. I like soluble fiber sources like Chia seeds and oatmeal. Someone here recommended popcorn and I have to say, with it's fiber and volume, it does help keep things moving. Chia seeds, on the safe side, soak overnight in milk. They suck up a LOT of water and if eaten dry, could plug up your insides.

When I got severely constipated recovering from surgery, I took Senokot as a stool softener before I went to bed. Worked like a charm.

Sounds like a plan thanks my dear
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Exercise, water, foods that make you poop - all helpful.

You can also call the doctor up and tell them that you can't poop. Trouble pooping when taking pain meds is very common. They may be able to help you with that. :)
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Eat prunes! It will help
  • lalainap19
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Exercise, water, foods that make you poop - all helpful.

You can also call the doctor up and tell them that you can't poop. Trouble pooping when taking pain meds is very common. They may be able to help you with that. :)
    Thanks lol

• lalainap19
    Options
    acmanna wrote: »
    Eat prunes! It will help

If I can find a way to get them down lol. Will dried prunes have the same effects?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Dried prunes, prune juice...
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    You NEED to take a stool softener. I had this issue with a surgery. My Dr. said a softener is a must.
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you are having lots of fiber make sure you are drinking enough! Lots of fiber without water will make it worse.
    lalainap19 wrote: »
    Eat prunes! It will help

If I can find a way to get them down lol. Will dried prunes have the same effects?

Prunes are dried? A prune is a dried out plum, they're also really sweet and make a nice snack, but again have enough water with them!

• lalainap19
    Options
    Bacchants wrote: »
    If you are having lots of fiber make sure you are drinking enough! Lots of fiber without water will make it worse.
    lalainap19 wrote: »
    Eat prunes! It will help

Prunes are dried? A prune is a dried out plum, they're also really sweet and make a nice snack, but again have enough water with them!
    Oh lol OK as u can see I've never had them before. Just prune juice and I couldn't stand it

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I regularly have to take pain medications. I add psyllium husk fiber to my diet, and I also take docusate sodium twice a day with my other supplements and medications. This takes care of the problem - along with drinking plenty of water every day.
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yeah prune juice is a bit grim, but I find prunes much nicer. They contain xylitol which makes them sweet, and it's what a lot of sugar free sweets use to make them taste sweeter. (It's also why too many sugar free sweets can make you poop).
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Magnesium supplements work really well if you can't wait fibre, coffee, or prunes to work.