Calorie Confusion

Options
thinkbe4youink
thinkbe4youink Posts: 11 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So confused on the whole calorie deal. Maybe someone can help. I seem to get a different answer everytime. If it's possible I will track my workouts seperate. I Am 5'2" 274 pounds and I'm 24. Not counting the workouts I do I am not as active as I liked to be right now in just day to day activities. I want the number of calories not counting workouts because I would like to add them as I go. it's not always the same workout. I read the mfp calorie goal is wrong for alot of people. I keep getting a target of over 2,800 and that's from making a defecit from over 3,000 to maintain. I can't ever eat that much. I never hit that number I eat around 1800 calories a day. Never over 2,000 . So idk I need help lol!!!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    How'd you get to 274 eating 1800 calories a day?
  • thinkbe4youink
    edited August 2015
    Options
    To be honest I just wasn't active. Now that I'm eating clean I get full on healthy food. I was just eating stuff that was high in calories. Now that I make a point not to binge eat and eat crappy stuff. I actually am satisfied with a clean meal. 1800 is what I eat now. Idk how many calories I WAS eating.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How long have you been tracking your calorie intake?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you read that the MFP calorie goal was wrong for a lot of people, but it worked well for me when I was losing weight (and I am using my MFP goal to maintain now). If you're not very active other than exercise, I'm assuming you picked "sedentary" as your activity level? And your issue is that you now can't consume enough to meet the recommended calorie goal?

I'm not sure what you mean by "eating clean" (everyone who uses it seems to have a different definition), but you can try adding some calorie-dense "clean" foods (again, using whatever definition it has for you) into your diet. These may include things like nuts, plant oils, grains, starchy vegetables . . . you may be able to think of some others.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So confused on the whole calorie deal. Maybe someone can help. I seem to get a different answer everytime. If it's possible I will track my workouts seperate. I Am 5'2" 274 pounds and I'm 24. Not counting the workouts I do I am not as active as I liked to be right now in just day to day activities. I want the number of calories not counting workouts because I would like to add them as I go. it's not always the same workout. I read the mfp calorie goal is wrong for alot of people. I keep getting a target of over 2,800 and that's from making a defecit from over 3,000 to maintain. I can't ever eat that much. I never hit that number I eat around 1800 calories a day. Never over 2,000 . So idk I need help lol!!!

what are you putting for your activity level? are your other data inputs correct?

i've found most of these calculators, including MFP are pretty accurate if the date entered is accurate. 2800+ calories to lose weight sounds too high though...my guess is something in your data is off...stats or activity level.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    To be honest I just wasn't active. Now that I'm eating clean I get full on healthy food. I was just eating stuff that was high in calories. Now that I make a point not to binge eat and eat crappy stuff. I actually am satisfied with a clean meal. 1800 is what I eat now. Idk how many calories I WAS eating.
    I doubt you were burning 1000 calories a day, though.

What do you consider crappy stuff? Full fat dairy? Ice cream? Peanut butter? Avocados?

• accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If you're using the basically understood version of a "clean" diet, then you'll find the volume to be much greater than a standard diet.

Adding nuts, avocado, etc. can easily bump you up.
  • thinkbe4youink
    Options
    I doubt you were burning 1000 calories a day, though.

What do you consider crappy stuff? Full fat dairy? Ice cream? Peanut butter? Avocados?

I just started this journey to lose weight 2 weeks ago. Before I decided to change my eating I ate pizza,chips,ice cream and stuff like burgers. I didn't eat bad like that all the time. When I ate I just ate more than I should have. And didn't workout or even do much. I never tracked calories until now. So idk how many I was eating before. I just know now I'm averaging around 1800. I don't eat any of that anymore.
  • thinkbe4youink
    Options
    I'm not sure where you read that the MFP calorie goal was wrong for a lot of people, but it worked well for me when I was losing weight (and I am using my MFP goal to maintain now). If you're not very active other than exercise, I'm assuming you picked "sedentary" as your activity level? And your issue is that you now can't consume enough to meet the recommended calorie goal?

I'm not sure what you mean by "eating clean" (everyone who uses it seems to have a different definition), but you can try adding some calorie-dense "clean" foods (again, using whatever definition it has for you) into your diet. These may include things like nuts, plant oils, grains, starchy vegetables . . . you may be able to think of some others.

By clean eating I mean veggies,fruits,plain yogurt, lean ground turkey, chicken breast, beans, brown rice and whole grain pasta.For healthy fats peanut butter, almonds and avacado. Maybe I should check my info I might have put something in wrong lol.

• thinkbe4youink
    edited August 2015
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    How long have you been tracking your calorie intake?

2 weeks. I have no idea how much I ate when I wasn't tracking or eating healthy.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Height age and current weight and sedentary puts you at 2050 a day now if you want to lose weight 1899 a day if you want fast weight loss 1424 a day that is from a health and fitness magazine page if you eat clean (non processed foods) and cut carbs to only complex ones and exercise (raise your heart rate break a sweat) for at least 30 minutes everyday or most days of the week you will succeed.....its easy really dont over think it less calories+more activity=weight loss
  • thinkbe4youink
    edited August 2015
    Options
    edack72 wrote: »
    Height age and current weight and sedentary puts you at 2050 a day now if you want to lose weight 1899 a day if you want fast weight loss 1424 a day that is from a health and fitness magazine page if you eat clean (non processed foods) and cut carbs to only complex ones and exercise (raise your heart rate break a sweat) for at least 30 minutes everyday or most days of the week you will succeed.....its easy really dont over think it less calories+more activity=weight loss

Thank you! Do you suggest adding the workout calories? Some people such as Chris powell say you don't have to.