Greek Yogurt - How to love if you hate it?

Options

Replies

• Maryam_alqallaf
    Maryam_alqallaf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I dont like greek yogurt but I'm make yogurt drink so i can eat it so tasty try it

Mix yogurt with water add one TBS of lemon juice and mint flakes
  • jtate0212
    jtate0212 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to eat Greek yogurt is with low sodium ranch seasoning. It makes an awesome veggie dip. I get Fage 0% for the extra protein and lower fat
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    WakkoW wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I live in Greece, so finding fresh Greek yoghurt is easy. What I can tell you is that Greek yoghurt starts as very mild or even naturally sweet in taste, then gets this tangy-sour flavour as days pass. It does not mean it is turning bad, but the taste changes. So, when I buy commercial brands, I try to buy only yoghurt where the "best before" date is a far in the future as possible. The first days after is has been packaged, it is not tart, and this is when I love it. As the expiration date approaches, the taste gets more and more sour. Assuming this is true Greek yoghurt, with live cultures, the taste is supposed to change. In the few occasions where I have yoghurt left that is getting to this sour stage, I either add enough honey and walnuts to cover the taste, or add salt and mint and eat it with grilled meat or grilled vegetables.

It gets more sour only if it not refrigerated. The longer the yogurt is left to ferment, the more lactose is eaten up and the sourer it becomes.

Source: I make my own yogurt.

I make my own yoghurt too. Strained yoghurt keeps getting sourer and sourer. Omce refrigerated, it does nto happen as fast as when you are making the yoghurt, and you will see no difference in a few hours, but you will see a huge difference in a couple of weeks. When I buy yoghurt with production date a couple of days ago, most commercial brands here taste sweetish. If I leave unopened in the fridge until the expiration date (which typically here is a few weeks), the taste is tart.

Yep. I strain mine too. I have never noticed that it gets sourer after refrigeration.

I make my own yoghurt my whole family does. We can't stand the shop bought ones they taste so, ermm plasticy. I guess we're not used to it.

The longer it stands the sourer it gets. Not over night mind you it keep for a while. When and if it does get souere we make yogurt soup with cracked barley and garlic.

If you worry that it might get sour before you're ready to make the new one just save a cup of yogurt in the freezer. It does the exact same job no compromises. If you don't have a weight issue add double cream to it when boiling the milk, that makes the yogurt really sweet and to set firm. Then again I'm losing weight too and the addition of double cream has not hindered my weightloss.
  • samm_dodge
    samm_dodge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ive grown to love plain greek yogurt with this mixture: 1/2 - 2/3 cup of greek yogurt, about a tbsp of peanut butter, half tbsp of honey & cinnamon! delish :)
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    i'm going to buy some plain and try the honey pb combo....yummy.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You don't have to love it, but try to find a Greek deli near you and buy their homemade if you don't want to make your own. I find the homemade tastes more like cream cheese than anything.
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    add a packet of splenda and you are good to go. It is one of the healthiest foods out there.
  • skinnyD2308
    skinnyD2308 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like liberte and oikos brands. I don't buy plain though, I like the fruit floundered or vanilla flavoured ones.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Love Chobani, especially mango. I use the lemon as a marinade/sauce for lots of dishes, especially fish. I made a fantastic cold cucumber soup using a combination of the lemon and pineapple flavors as my base. The lime flavor is like eating a key lime pie.
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    plain greek yogurt, garlic and Italian herbs with a little bit of fresh grated parmesan cheese makes the best cesar salad, especially if you like a lot of garlic gloves .. lower calorie and better for you
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    plain greek yogurt, garlic and Italian herbs with a little bit of fresh grated parmesan cheese makes the best cesar salad, especially if you like a lot of garlic gloves .. lower calorie and better for you

oh hey that sounds nice, thanks
  • TorontoDiane
    Options
    you are welcome.. I just threw it together one day .. it is so easy and total yum
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    you are welcome.. I just threw it together one day .. it is so easy and total yum

i'm definitely going to try it :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    One thing I decided very early in this process was that I would not give up the foods I like or force myself to eat foods I don't in order to lose weight.
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. You can get the same nutrients elsewhere.
  • TorontoDiane
    Options
    I don't even use the fancier greek yogurt.. just a smaller hand size container of Balkan greek yogurt, grate in some fresh garlic, Italian herbs and you can either mix in the cheese right in the container or over your salad.. and it does for a massive bowl of romaine or any other greens you like.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, than don't eat it.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    OP I recommend that have your yoghurt as a smoothie with whatever additives that you enjoy - berries, apple, veg, PB, protein powder - You will be masking the flavour and the texture will be completely altered. For others who have shared their ideas I thought I would chime in with these possibilities:

Skyr - Icelandic traditional cultured dairy product it is similar in texture to strained yoghurt. It is very thick and has very similar nutritional bang for your buck as Greek yoghurt.....apparently it is developing a reputation for being the next super food in place of Greek Yoghurt.

Silken Tofu - As OP mentioned that the 'sour' taste of the Greek yoghurt was off putting maybe investigating silken tofu is the go. Like all tofu is has no/very little taste of its own and responds very well to having additives such as protein powder, honey, fruits, in fact whatever flavour additives you enjoy.

Soy yoghurt -Studies have shown that soy yoghurt has some quite unique health benefits by releasing enzymes that slow down the rate of carbohydrate released into the body...so there is particular interest in this product to help diabetics. (The source of this info. comes from a wide variety of quick reading - if anyone is interested it would be best to search the veracity of these claims more thoroughly). Nutritionally speaking bit heavier in the calorie dept. and lower in protein but not too bad - especially if it does help with the carb. issues for sensitive people.

We make our own Greek yoghurt - add in anything and everything that happens to be in the fruit bowl. It responds well to being either used as a savoury substitute (ie sour cream/dip) or as a sweet. We often add Chia seeds early in the day/overnight and let them soak in and it makes the yoghurt very form but adds no flavour on its own - you may need to add water - comes out like tapioca and is a good source of omega 3's.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to get to like yogurt, but I grew into it: a long time ago, my sister took a look at my finger nails, showed me a picture of nails belonging to a calcium-deficient person, and said: "You know you're not getting any younger. Find some kind of calcium and find it quick." Yogurt seemed to pack the most calcium for the punch, so I started off slow, small containers, with fruit or honey, and, years later now, actually enjoy it on its own.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Did OP ever say what specific plan it is that forces her to eat Greek yogurt?
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it and find another satisfying snack with a decent protein count. No need to force yourself to eat something you don't like.