Greek Yogurt - How to love if you hate it?

Options

Replies

• Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I love the Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt - lots of different flavors, too.
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    How does it taste different than regular nonfat yogurt?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried Fage I thought "WHAT is going on in my mouth?!" Now I taste only goodness, especially with PB2 mixed in.

If you don't like it, don't eat it. Or put a teaspoon of honey in.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    ciacyrus29 wrote: »
    For those asking why do I need to eat it or saying just don't eat it. It is part of my diet and I can't make a substitution. If I could, I'd eat regular yogurt. Why do I have to love it, because I don't want to eat something that I can't stand. Thus the reason for the post.
    Why cnat you make a substitution? What is it about Greek yoghurt that is unique?

This. I am not understanding why it is a must. I'm trying to think of why you absolutely must eat it and the only thing I can think is that somebody else controls your food and will only feed you Greek yogurt. If that is not the case, cottage cheese is a good substitute. The macros are very similar.

Good suggestion about the cottage cheese. This is a staple for me as well. I like it in salads and with fruit. Interestingly, the organic cottage cheese brands I've tried have too much of a tang for me but I love Cabot.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @JeffBrown3 I'm assuming the OP is not a fan of yogurt at all. I find the taste about the same but the Greek is much thicker. That makes sense because the only real difference between the two is that the Greek has liquid removed.

http://www.accordingtoelle.com/greek-yogurt-whats-real/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strained_yogurt
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I live in Greece, so finding fresh Greek yoghurt is easy. What I can tell you is that Greek yoghurt starts as very mild or even naturally sweet in taste, then gets this tangy-sour flavour as days pass. It does not mean it is turning bad, but the taste changes. So, when I buy commercial brands, I try to buy only yoghurt where the "best before" date is a far in the future as possible. The first days after is has been packaged, it is not tart, and this is when I love it. As the expiration date approaches, the taste gets more and more sour. Assuming this is true Greek yoghurt, with live cultures, the taste is supposed to change. In the few occasions where I have yoghurt left that is getting to this sour stage, I either add enough honey and walnuts to cover the taste, or add salt and mint and eat it with grilled meat or grilled vegetables.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    ciacyrus29 wrote: »
    For those asking why do I need to eat it or saying just don't eat it. It is part of my diet and I can't make a substitution. If I could, I'd eat regular yogurt. Why do I have to love it, because I don't want to eat something that I can't stand. Thus the reason for the post.
    Why cnat you make a substitution? What is it about Greek yoghurt that is unique?

This. I am not understanding why it is a must. I'm trying to think of why you absolutely must eat it and the only thing I can think is that somebody else controls your food and will only feed you Greek yogurt. If that is not the case, cottage cheese is a good substitute. The macros are very similar.

Good suggestion about the cottage cheese. This is a staple for me as well. I like it in salads and with fruit. Interestingly, the organic cottage cheese brands I've tried have too much of a tang for me but I love Cabot.

My favorite is Food Club brand, which is the off label kind that my grocery store carries. For whatever reason, it tastes better to me than the brand names that I can get around here (Daisy, etc.)
  • yangt41
    yangt41 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Chobani has that fermented-ness taste/smell to it that really bothers me. Greek Gods - Honey Strawberry is the only greek yogurt I like! I add about 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed to give it more texture and it's delicious! Only downside to this is that it has quite a bit of fat in it... :'(
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Question: why do you need to love it?

This. Why do you think you need to eat it? If you don't like it, why would you force yourself to eat it? Forcing yourself to eat things you don't like is counterproductive and miserable. How long will you really stick with an eating plan that forces you to eat things you don't enjoy? there are plenty of other things that will give you the same nutrients that greek yogurt will. Find something you like rather than forcing something you don't!
  • ttfnweight
    ttfnweight Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live but there is an organic Greek called stoneyfield. Their Vive la vanilla is amazing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    ttfnweight wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you live but there is an organic Greek called stoneyfield. Their Vive la vanilla is amazing.

The Petite Creme one? It's not Greek, but the macros are pretty similar and it's delicious, but quite pricey.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I live in Greece, so finding fresh Greek yoghurt is easy. What I can tell you is that Greek yoghurt starts as very mild or even naturally sweet in taste, then gets this tangy-sour flavour as days pass. It does not mean it is turning bad, but the taste changes. So, when I buy commercial brands, I try to buy only yoghurt where the "best before" date is a far in the future as possible. The first days after is has been packaged, it is not tart, and this is when I love it. As the expiration date approaches, the taste gets more and more sour. Assuming this is true Greek yoghurt, with live cultures, the taste is supposed to change. In the few occasions where I have yoghurt left that is getting to this sour stage, I either add enough honey and walnuts to cover the taste, or add salt and mint and eat it with grilled meat or grilled vegetables.

It gets more sour only if it not refrigerated. The longer the yogurt is left to ferment, the more lactose is eaten up and the sourer it becomes.

Source: I make my own yogurt.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »

It gets more sour only if it not refrigerated. The longer the yogurt is left to ferment, the more lactose is eaten up and the sourer it becomes.

I make my own yoghurt too. Strained yoghurt keeps getting sourer and sourer. Omce refrigerated, it does nto happen as fast as when you are making the yoghurt, and you will see no difference in a few hours, but you will see a huge difference in a couple of weeks. When I buy yoghurt with production date a couple of days ago, most commercial brands here taste sweetish. If I leave unopened in the fridge until the expiration date (which typically here is a few weeks), the taste is tart.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Greek tastes A LOT better to me than plain Greek, even in eggs. :p

Cottage cheese > Greek yogurt any day
    It's cheaper, tastier, and I have more choice between the fat percentages (unless I pay even MORE for Fage)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ttfnweight wrote: »

The Stoneyfield Greek Raspberry flavored is kinda runny...more like regular yogurt (if it's a texture thing).

That said.....there are Greek & "Greek style" yogurts. Look at the list of ingredients. Greek yogurt is strained. So you have a more potent flavor, heavier texture than regular yogurt. The ingredient list is smaller.

"Greek style" yogurts have additives....essentially bumping up the protein of regular yogurt. Look for thickening agents like corn starch and milk-protein concentrate. These mimic Greek yogurt, and will have a chalky texture.

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Greek tastes A LOT better to me than plain Greek, even in eggs. :p

Cottage cheese > Greek yogurt any day
    It's cheaper, tastier, and I have more choice between the fat percentages (unless I pay even MORE for Fage)

yes. Cottage cheese is cheaper in my grocery store than even plain "normal" non-greek yogurt. Plus it tastes so damn yummy.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »

I make my own yoghurt too. Strained yoghurt keeps getting sourer and sourer. Omce refrigerated, it does nto happen as fast as when you are making the yoghurt, and you will see no difference in a few hours, but you will see a huge difference in a couple of weeks. When I buy yoghurt with production date a couple of days ago, most commercial brands here taste sweetish. If I leave unopened in the fridge until the expiration date (which typically here is a few weeks), the taste is tart.

Yep. I strain mine too. I have never noticed that it gets sourer after refrigeration.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    You know that plain yogurt can be substituted for sour cream and can be, well, sour, right?

This! I actually came into this thread to suggest it - I put plain lowfat Greek yogurt in my chili, on tacos, or anywhere that I'd put sour cream. I'm always under on my protein, so any way I can get a little extra protein kick is a winner for me.

I'm not a huge fan of Greek yogurt otherwise. I'll eat it if I'm in the mood, but my taste for it goes in phases.