Greek Yogurt - How to love if you hate it?

Options

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I love yogurt and I love Chiobani. There is a huge variation among the taste and texture of brands-- and the extra sugar and ohter additives. But if you don't like it don't have to eat it. Do you like regular (non Greek) yogurt? If do, just eat that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is a healthy food, and good for you in many ways. ...

If someone truly does not enjoy it, figure out what makes it so healthy and get those benefits from another food. For one thing, it's got a very decent protein ratio. So find another source of protein. The other thing going for it is the probiotics; beneficial bacteria. That can be got from plain yogurt or products like Kefir which I am learning to enjoy. But both are sour.

There are probiotics that can be got in pill from from a health-food store. Get the refrigerated ones.

If sourness is the turn-off then there's not much that can be done. It's like hating sour cream. Eat cheese.

My daughter hates all things white and creamy so many foods that I really enjoy I cannot share with her, like rice pudding, anything with whipped egg whites, whipping cream, chia puddings, and yogurt based foods.
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Just jumping in here with a 'yoghurt' reccomendation. I say 'yoghurt' because it's actually quark (a type of cheese), but it's amazing. Really thick and not like normal yoghurt texture (in case that's what is putting you off). It's more like cream cheese but fruit flavoured. They sell it in Tescos/ASDA and it's just called '20g Protein Yoghurt'

dk84uunhx0yl.png

Well worth a try!
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Try the Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt. 80cals, 12g protein. Out of the 6-7 brands that I tried its the only one that doesn't taste like greek yogurt. I was determined to like it too and I tried so many and thought they were disgusting. Finally victory! I like the strawberry cheesecake and the vanilla flavors the best.

I put Fat free Redi Whip on top and you can have a nice amount, 15grams is 15 calories.. its like having dessert for breakfast :smile:
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Our favorite thing to do is to add a packet of trader joes taco seasoning to a 32 oz tub of plain Greek yogurt. Trader joes brand is double strength so if you use a different brand you might need more. It's an amazing dip. Even my health food hating father loves it.
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    For those asking why do I need to eat it or saying just don't eat it. It is part of my diet and I can't make a substitution. If I could, I'd eat regular yogurt. Why do I have to love it, because I don't want to eat something that I can't stand. Thus the reason for the post.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Can't make a substitution? Are you in prison?
  • dondotwinks
    dondotwinks Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Bacchants wrote: »
    Just jumping in here with a 'yoghurt' reccomendation. I say 'yoghurt' because it's actually quark (a type of cheese), but it's amazing. Really thick and not like normal yoghurt texture (in case that's what is putting you off). It's more like cream cheese but fruit flavoured. They sell it in Tescos/ASDA and it's just called '20g Protein Yoghurt'

dk84uunhx0yl.png

Well worth a try!
    I love this!! it's so creamy and tasty
  • jgnatca
    Options
    My dietitian is very happy that I eat Greek Yogurt as part of my post-bariatric routine. It's an easy way to get that extra protein in and the texture is tummy-friendly.

I'd challenge your coach if a substitution might not be tried. If the texture and protein is important, how about a custard of egg and milk and a little sweetener? Similar texture and protein complement.

Another similar texture without the sourness would be chia pudding with milk, set overnight.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ciacyrus29 wrote: »
    For those asking why do I need to eat it or saying just don't eat it. It is part of my diet and I can't make a substitution. If I could, I'd eat regular yogurt. Why do I have to love it, because I don't want to eat something that I can't stand. Thus the reason for the post.
    Why cnat you make a substitution? What is it about Greek yoghurt that is unique?
    I like it, but I add loads of fruit or flavourings to it if its the tartness you dont like.

If you like normal yoghurt then why cnat you have that if you like it?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Light cream cheese on toast.
    Scrambled eggs.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    There are a million foods in the world. I don't eat what I don't like. If your diet is so restrictive that you HAVE to eat foods you don't like I don't see much success in that diet plan. Not sustainable and not a way you'd eat for the rest of your life. Maybe that isn't the right diet plan for you?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    In general, I agree with the "don't eat it if you don't like it" sentiment.

However, maybe the issue is that your palate is accustomed to overly sweetened foods. I would suggest that you try Greek yogurt again from time to time to see if your taste buds change as your diet changes.

My favorite Greek yogurt is Zoi--plain, full fat. It's great with fresh fruit.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    do you like cottage cheese? similar protien count, similar calories, no baby-vomit taste.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Chobani is the worst.

Why do you need to eat Greek yogurt? If you don't like it, don't eat it.

If the sourness is an issue, you might like getting plain, adding a sweetener, and then adding a bit of vanilla extract. I do that and add blueberries sometimes.

Ya, if I am out of sweetened yogurt and want a fruit smoothie, I will just use plain and add a little sweetener, vanilla or almond extract, and the fruit.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I like the Yoplait greek yogurt 100 cal whips. tastes like dessert/mousse

Seconded. Dannon light and fit if you can stand sucralose also (I can't). Or I mix it up with protein powder and it tastes more like a pudding (might depend on the powder though).

Still confused about why you have to eat it though.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    ciacyrus29 wrote: »
    Why cnat you make a substitution? What is it about Greek yoghurt that is unique?

This. I am not understanding why it is a must. I'm trying to think of why you absolutely must eat it and the only thing I can think is that somebody else controls your food and will only feed you Greek yogurt. If that is not the case, cottage cheese is a good substitute. The macros are very similar.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Some great suggestions by people . Heres a pinterest link with lots of other alternatives.
    https://www.pinterest.com/explore/greek-yogurt-substitutions/
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it. Eat regular yogurt or no yogurt.
    Put it in a smoothie.
    Add fruit or granola.
    Continue to try different brands. I like The Greek God's honey flavor yogurt.

I don't like yogurt with the fruit already added. The texture seems better without it. I'll add my own fruit.
  • Yogamat316
    Yogamat316 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've found Fage has less of that "tang" that sometimes makes Greek yogurt a little abrasive. I'm personally a fan of that flavor, but not so much in the morning, sometimes. Get the plain Fage 0% or 2% and add your own high-quality honey or jam to it. Or mash up a banana in it, or some sunflower or peanut butter.