too many bears where i live

Options

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Wow yeah then I'd definitely go to a populated place to run or walk. Try your local schools track . or a local park.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I live in Oregon, and my area has several cougar sitings a year, as I live on the edge of the woods. Cougars are different from bears, yes, but I second the notion of walking in more populated areas, carrying some bear mace, and making lots of noise. Also, take your dog if you have one.
    Most firearms will just p*$s a bear off. Unless you're rocking a 50 cal.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Watch out for this guy though... he's got skills.
    Bear-Vs.-Man-Kung-Fu-Fight-In-The-Wild.gif
  • amandadunwoody
    amandadunwoody Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I agree about bear mace and walking at the track. And @TnTWalter yes! Fitnessblender on YouTube is awesome and free!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=eK0pO79YkvY

can't believe no one has posted this one yet...

Dang it, I can't embed the video.....tried multiple ways, won't let me....

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I want to start walking, but where I live there are a lot of black bears and other wild animal hazards. Maybe if I only walk when it is daylight I will feel safer.

Bears are the worst.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    We've got drop bears. Quite cantankerous.

Also really rapid mosquitoes.

As if there weren't enough things in Australia trying to kill you already? :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If you make a bit of noise while you walk black bears are unlikely to be a problem. They like to avoid humans. It's only when you come upon them unexpectedly that they are likely to be dangerous. You could also carry a gun or get a large dog.

We have black bears and coyotes where I live and I hike through the woods alone all the time. I do carry a gun but it's only loaded with snake shot. Snakes are more of a hazard.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »

That's a Grizzly. Black bears are beer snobs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If a cougar is going to get you, you'll never know it.

Bear bells and bear spray. I am pretty sure bears are safer than cars.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    You really only have to worry about bears when you come between momma and her cubs, or when they first wake up from hibernating. Otherwise they don't bother people much. Cougars, now....
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Black bears are not much of a threat at all. In all of the 1900's there were only 61 people killed by black bears in North America. Your chances of being killed by lightning are far greater. Heck, your chances of being killed by a left-handed guy named Steve are probably greater than being killed by a bear (no, I don't have a citation for that).

Read up about bear behavior and get back to enjoying the outdoors! Twice I've encountered bears in the woods and I count myself lucky for it. This one was in Ontario and I happened to have my DSLR with a 70-200mm lens at the ready. It started approaching me, but more out of curiosity I suspect.

yivl57se062t.jpg

• 7lenny7
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    You really only have to worry about bears when you come between momma and her cubs

If you read that link I posted above, they say that's more of a grizzly bear trait than a black bear trait.

• mccindy72
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    You really only have to worry about bears when you come between momma and her cubs

If you read that link I posted above, they say that's more of a grizzly bear trait than a black bear trait.

That's a good one. Come on up to Wisconsin and try it sometime. Or find any wild animal and try to separate momma from her babies. Go ahead. See what happens.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Oh. Those bears. And I came to this thread wondering why too many of them was a problem.

atlanta_bear_fest_2011.jpg
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Those aren't black bears.

Waiting for the cougar pics.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    That's a good one. Come on up to Wisconsin and try it sometime. Or find any wild animal and try to separate momma from her babies. Go ahead. See what happens.

Myth. You hear that, but I've never read about a black beat attack where that was the cause.

• mccindy72
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Myth. You hear that, but I've never read about a black beat attack where that was the cause.

Huh. I have.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I lived in an area where wildness ruled. The "Bear Aware" course put on by the local conservation officer was a big eye opener. This was his opening slide.
    img42.jpg
    His staff had more injuries approaching the common grouse.

Bottom line, don't approach any wildlife. They got their own business and we only know enough to get ourselves kilt.

That black bear picture, approaching, has his hackles raised. Glad you came out of that encounter without a scratch.
  • 7lenny7
    edited August 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    His staff had more injuries approaching the common grouse.
    No lie, I actually saw a grouse chase a young girl who was camping with us in northern Minnesota.

That black bear picture, approaching, has his hackles raised. Glad you came out of that encounter without a scratch.

Nah, that guy was just curious...or hungry...its proximity to the Ouimet Canyon Provincial Park makes me think it had taste for human food. I didn't approach it, but when it got as close as I was comfortable with, I made myself big and yelled at it. It paused and walked away.

i6lfd7jgjcz5.jpg