too many bears where i live

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Or maybe you were talking about the bears in @flaminica's picture?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    That's a good one. Come on up to Wisconsin and try it sometime. Or find any wild animal and try to separate momma from her babies. Go ahead. See what happens.

Myth. You hear that, but I've never read about a black beat attack where that was the cause.

Wut? Pretty sure most animals have that "protect the young" instinct going. This includes all bears. O.o
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Wut? Pretty sure most animals have that "protect the young" instinct going. This includes all bears. O.o

We're talking about black bears, not grizzlies or any other wild animal. Just because something is repeated over and over doesn't make it true (like that old classic, "don't swim for an hour after you eat").

http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/bears-a-humans/39-what-if-i-get-between-a-black-bear-mother-and-her-cubs.html

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    black bears are typically less aggressive than grizzlies. grizzlies are cantankerous.
    but it's best to avoid bears if possible and cougars of all kind

consider a treadmill if you do not feel safe
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a very rural, small community, surrounded by forests. It was not unusual to go for a walk and either meet a bear or a moose while walking. No one was ever attacked, but we'd make sure not to do anything to aggravate them. Basically I wouldn't be too worried if you run into wildlife, but that's just me, do what you are comfortable with.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

We're talking about black bears, not grizzlies or any other wild animal. Just because something is repeated over and over doesn't make it true (like that old classic, "don't swim for an hour after you eat").

http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/bears-a-humans/39-what-if-i-get-between-a-black-bear-mother-and-her-cubs.html

That's a cute article. While they may not kill you, mother black bears will certainly attack you if they feel that their cubs are in danger and you are between them and her. It has happened around here in Wisconsin. You may not be dead, but you'll certainly be injured. That seems less than ideal. Always using caution around wild animals is essential for safety.
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I live in rural PA -- lots and lots of black bears here. Bears in the backyard, bears in the woods where I walk, there was even a bear walking down the middle of the main street in town the other day. My father used to call my son "Bear Meat" because he teased him that he could outrun my son if we ever ran into a bear on our walks. But the truth is, we have run into many, many bears over the years and have never once had a problem. They go their way and we go ours. And I have never heard of anyone getting hurt by a bear here.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    In the end you have to do what you feel comfortable with, but I face greater risks running in the city than walking in the woods, even in bear country.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Humans are cute with their egotistical ideas about how they're superior and safe just because they've urbanized much of the world. All wild animals are dangerous and unpredictable. Respect for them in their environment is a must, no matter what the situation. Just because they don't 'always' do something doesn't mean they won't ever do it. Even a small wild animal is perfectly capable of attacking a human to attempt to defend itself.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    Wow! The biggest problem I have running in England is being run over by the milk float. And the weather of course :wink: I don't envy you!

Haha and I'm scared of dogs off their leads on the seafront. Not many bears in East Sussex...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ns8fnt66R01th3s3go1_250.jpg
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Bear bells and bear spray.

Around here bear bells are called "dinner bells".

Don't do that - bears have figured out bells usually mean free camping food.

• 7lenny7
    Options
    Humans are cute with their egotistical ideas about how they're superior and safe just because they've urbanized much of the world. All wild animals are dangerous and unpredictable. Respect for them in their environment is a must, no matter what the situation. Just because they don't 'always' do something doesn't mean they won't ever do it. Even a small wild animal is perfectly capable of attacking a human to attempt to defend itself.

Fear and respect are two different things.

You can choose to fear "all wild animals", and never venture outside your safe urban zone, or you can enjoy the many wonders of nature, all while still respecting nature, with very minimal risk, if any.

butterflies are dangerous?

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I think this thread is missing the point. Treadmills are as deadly, perhaps more so, than black bears.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/06/health/goldberg-treadmill-accident-cases/
    Last year, emergency rooms saw 24,000 injuries related to the treadmill, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
    "There have been 30 reported deaths associated with treadmills for the 10 year period from 2003-2012 or an average of about three per year," the safety agency says.

Per the links above, only 23 people were killed by black bears in the 80 year period from 1900 to 1980.

So, I think you are safer against a black bear than running on a treadmill.

That should be the point, I think.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    Just think of the horror if there were treadmills in the woods!!!!
  • CannonWhale
    CannonWhale Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Certain bears are absolutely harmless, like for instance, The Chicago Bears! lol Yup, I just went there!
  • mccindy72
    Options

You can choose to fear "all wild animals", and never venture outside your safe urban zone, or you can enjoy the many wonders of nature, all while still respecting nature, with very minimal risk, if any.

nowhere did I say not to venture out into nature. As a hunter, I've spent quite a lot of time there myself. I was recommending caution and respect, and avoiding situations like coming between mother bears and their cubs, which is nothing more than just good sense.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

nowhere did I say not to venture out into nature. As a hunter, I've spent quite a lot of time there myself. I was recommending caution and respect, and avoiding situations like coming between mother bears and their cubs, which is nothing more than just good sense.

There are a lot of leaps being made in this thread. :laugh:
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I want to start walking, but where I live there are a lot of black bears and other wild animal hazards. Maybe if I only walk when it is daylight I will feel safer.

Where do you live? I want to live there. Sounds like a dream to me!