Is skinny fat so bad?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    How are you defining "skinny fat"? Like so many other terms, that seems to have several different meanings on MFP. The most common is a BMI in the healthy range but a BF% outside the healthy range. You say your BMI is high so that would not describe you.

It is possible to be overweight and healthy and this may better describe you. Being overweight is a risk factor for some diseases, but it's not a guarantee of disease. If you get enough exercise and eat right you can be overweight and healthy. A gym or structured exercise plan is not required for getting exercise. All activity is exercise.
    It's defined differently by everyone. Anorexics who have any fat will deem themselves "skinny fat" and attempt to eliminate the excess.

I said once that I quit lifting weight because it bored the crap out me and someone said, "So, you want to be skinny fat?" Several people agreed. To them, anyone who doesn't lift weights is skinny fat.

Since it's not a medical term with any real definition, everyone gets to make up their own meaning.

There just is no way to use the term nicely, whether you say it about yourself or others.

I agree with you 100%.

Except there is a medical term.

That doesn't mean it's what was meant here. It seems it was not.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    im fat skinny
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    At 53, I don't care about my looks as much, hence the natural premature grey hair color. I do care a ton about my health. Even though I find strength training boring, I am doing it because of the health benefits. I also read how those on the national weight loss registry, those who lost AND maintained weight, by a large measure used a balance of calorie restriction and exercise. My grandmother had osteoporosis, and my aunt in her 80's had to use both arms to lift anything over 10 pounds. I want to be able to stand up straight and carry my own groceries, even if strength training is boring.

Ya, flossing is boring too, but after just having to go through dental scaling, I am motivated to do it. Unfortunately, the effects of not strength training don't show up until it's rather late to do anything about it.
    Both of these. Strength training isn't solely for the purposes of aesthetics. It helps with a long-term healthy body. There's a lot of different ways to do it, and in many cases you can find something you enjoy. But justifying not doing something that's hard/boring/tedious is rationalizing, pure and simple.

Oh please. A lot of people in every country live long and healthy lives without doing any strength training.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    im fat skinny

LOL Is that a thing? What do you call someone with a BMI in the overweight range but BF% < 30%? Fat fit?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    How are you defining "skinny fat"? Like so many other terms, that seems to have several different meanings on MFP. The most common is a BMI in the healthy range but a BF% outside the healthy range. You say your BMI is high so that would not describe you.

It is possible to be overweight and healthy and this may better describe you. Being overweight is a risk factor for some diseases, but it's not a guarantee of disease. If you get enough exercise and eat right you can be overweight and healthy. A gym or structured exercise plan is not required for getting exercise. All activity is exercise.
    It's defined differently by everyone. Anorexics who have any fat will deem themselves "skinny fat" and attempt to eliminate the excess.

I said once that I quit lifting weight because it bored the crap out me and someone said, "So, you want to be skinny fat?" Several people agreed. To them, anyone who doesn't lift weights is skinny fat.

Since it's not a medical term with any real definition, everyone gets to make up their own meaning.

There just is no way to use the term nicely, whether you say it about yourself or others.

I agree with you 100%.

Except there is a medical term.

That doesn't mean it's what was meant here. It seems it was not.

Agreed. But the people dismissing the concept of skinny fat (or more correctly, normal weight obesity, which is what is normally meant by the term) are wrong to do so. You absolutely CAN be a normal BMI and yet have too much body fat for health.

Now, I don't think there's any reason that OP necessarily needs to worry about that, but it's wrong to claim it's just an insult or a justification for anorexia or the like.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    KezJT wrote: »
    ...On the exercise front, It's not that I don't like anything, more that I get bored and quit, reach my goal and quit or finish the programme and quit. I struggle to attend regular classes/sessions in anything due to family circumstances so my programmes have to be flexible - I tried running, insanity, and lifting at home and all worked well for a time, but were not really a sustainable way of life for me. The walking and cycling is, and keeps me healthy.

Well, while exercise does tend to be very important for success in maintenance, since you seem like you are planning on continuing walking and cycling, I will back off the gym advice.

I may have overly focused on the age thing and your skinny fat comments. Do you even know that you will be skinny fat? Were you last time you were at your goal weight?

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    im fat skinny

LOL Is that a thing? What do you call someone with a BMI in the overweight range but BF% < 30%? Fat fit?

Fat fit or would it be fat thin what about fat ripped or fat waif? I'm confused.

• Need2Exerc1se
    edited August 2015
    Options
    im fat skinny

Fat fit or would it be fat thin what about fat ripped or fat waif? I'm confused.

At least for a women, thin or ripped wouldn't be true, though I suppose a man could be overweight by BMI and ripped. Maybe for women it would be bulky. :o
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    At 53, I don't care about my looks as much, hence the natural premature grey hair color. I do care a ton about my health. Even though I find strength training boring, I am doing it because of the health benefits. I also read how those on the national weight loss registry, those who lost AND maintained weight, by a large measure used a balance of calorie restriction and exercise. My grandmother had osteoporosis, and my aunt in her 80's had to use both arms to lift anything over 10 pounds. I want to be able to stand up straight and carry my own groceries, even if strength training is boring.

Ya, flossing is boring too, but after just having to go through dental scaling, I am motivated to do it. Unfortunately, the effects of not strength training don't show up until it's rather late to do anything about it.
    Both of these. Strength training isn't solely for the purposes of aesthetics. It helps with a long-term healthy body. There's a lot of different ways to do it, and in many cases you can find something you enjoy. But justifying not doing something that's hard/boring/tedious is rationalizing, pure and simple.

Oh please. A lot of people in every country live long and healthy lives without doing any strength training.

- some people do things over the course of their days that promote muscle health (gardening, carrying groceries around by foot)
    - some people live long lives & don't experience major illnesses/injuries but do just live with joint pain and osteoporosis etc
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Isn't body fat of 25% for men and 32% for women considered obese? I forget where I saw ranges for the in-between of essential and obese.
  • ffwang82
    ffwang82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    keep cutting until 10-12% body fat, then bulk the muscle back. You will look much better.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    ffwang82 wrote: »
    keep cutting until 10-12% body fat, then bulk the muscle back. You will look much better.

you are missing the point entirely, you're missing all the points
  • ffwang82
    ffwang82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

This is the consequence of not reading the whole thread. :) My mistake. There is always way to mock our body anyway. We gotta have a goal, make a plan and stick to the plan. :)
  • KezJT
    KezJT Posts: 32 Member
    Options

- some people do things over the course of their days that promote muscle health (gardening, carrying groceries around by foot)
    - some people live long lives & don't experience major illnesses/injuries but do just live with joint pain and osteoporosis etc

Please note my OP where I pointed out that I walk to the shops (that includes carrying the groceries home). I also seem to spend far too much time carrying my 5 year old around, and he weighs 2 stone! I also pointed out that I am able to lift the heavy things at home/work, and sadly I get to do all the heavy lifting at home as well as push my lump of a husband around in his wheelchair when necessary:/

Actually I rather liked strength training, but getting to the gym regularly enough became impossible (small town, poor opening hours, chaotic lifestyle) and I couldn't do all the fun stuff at home without smashing few walls down:/ It may be something that I can take up again when older. who knows what else life will throw at me?
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

This is the consequence of not reading the whole thread. :) My mistake. There is always way to mock our body anyway. We gotta have a goal, make a plan and stick to the plan. :)
    ell I didn't read the whole thread either so bashing is upon us. Oh well; not sure I'll mock someone's body though.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

This is not the best advice for a woman, especially an older woman.
  • tomatoey
    Options

It's ok, you're right that that is advice people would give to a man who has an appearance goal encapsulated by concerns about what is commonly meant by "skinny fat".

I agree about having goals & making & sticking to plans :)
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

This is not the best advice for a woman, especially an older woman.
    Yes, considering for women 12% is the essential 'floor' for BF. For an older woman I'd think the number is higher but IDK.

• KezJT
    KezJT Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Exactly.

And some people smoke a pack a day and live til 100 and some people never floss or brush and keep all their teeth til they die.

But saying you're not doing strength training because you're focusing on your health and not on how you look is rationalizing.

see reply four posts up!

• tomatoey
    edited August 2015
    Options
    KezJT wrote: »

Please note my OP where I pointed out that I walk to the shops (that includes carrying the groceries home). I also seem to spend far too much time carrying my 5 year old around, and he weighs 2 stone! I also pointed out that I am able to lift the heavy things at home/work, and sadly I get to do all the heavy lifting at home as well as push my lump of a husband around in his wheelchair when necessary:/

Actually I rather liked strength training, but getting to the gym regularly enough became impossible (small town, poor opening hours, chaotic lifestyle) and I couldn't do all the fun stuff at home without smashing few walls down:/ It may be something that I can take up again when older. who knows what else life will throw at me?

Ah, so you are lifting loads :/ It sounds like you have a lot to do.

Re gym - I feel the same way about swimming (annoying scheduling, inconvenient) :/

If you *did* find yourself positioned to do more focused resistance training of some kind, there are a few ways to get it in (short sessions of bodyweight exercises; once-weekly weight lifting @ the gym [or at home]). But it sounds like you are busy, indeed

Yes, life brings surprises all the time :/