55-65 year old women's success?

Replies

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    BTW; it can get cold here in the South (it has snowed)! Also, hard to get out and do anything in the summer (hot & humid)--feels like working out in a sauna. Have a treadmill at home and use a locally-owned gym for my weight lifting. B)
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Good point! Working out in the humid heat is equally as hard. Yup, have the treadmill and weights but love being outdoors. Going to have to buy some snow shoes
  • debbond58
    debbond58 Posts: 41 Member
    Hi! I would love to be a part of this group. I am new (again) to MFP. This is a different journey for me though because I have answers now as to why my weight loss attempts have been unsuccessful. They are medical and I won't dwell on it here. I am 57 with a lot of weight to lose. I still work full time nights as a registered nurse and exercising around that will be a challenge. Right now I am just walking and doing a few muscle toning exercises here at home. My DH put ropes in the back yard for me. I hope that will help my arms. I have grandma arms that are always waving! No gym memberships yet. I am waiting to see if I need to pick a 24h gym. I am in this now with a new understanding of my body and the knowledge that pitfalls may not truly be pitfalls and I am ready to succeed and maintain. I would love to have some friends to join me. Just FYI- my reply posts may come at odd hours.
  • twilasue54
    twilasue54 Posts: 42 Member
    luluinca wrote: »
    @ Cathy.............good luck with the baby.............grandkids are fabulous!

What a great bunch of women have responded to Piano's Original Post. Several of you have mentioned medications and hoping to be or being rid of them. That happened to me. I was taking a medication for my stomach because of an unusual illness from food poisoning almost 3 years ago that left me with some problems and two blood pressure meds. My doc kept threatening me with a cholesterol med also but now I'm literally off of everything. It's wonderful to be prescription free! It's almost fun going to the doctor's office now. ;)

Good luck to those of you who are striving for that. Amazing what weight loss and a little exercise will do for us..........even at our ages (not that we're old).

I had no idea there were so many of us connected to MFP, I'm thrilled.

If we all just bookmark this page (the little yellow star) at the top of the page, we can come back here anytime we want and chat with each other.

Lulu
  • twilasue54
    twilasue54 Posts: 42 Member
    when i go to the star says(you do not have any bookmarks yet). ??
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,018 Member
    debbond58 wrote: »
    Hi!
    (snipped)
    Right now I am just walking and doing a few muscle toning exercises here at home. My DH put ropes in the back yard for me. I hope that will help my arms. I have grandma arms that are always waving!

Hi! Nice DH you have; lucky you!

Many of us have "issues" with our triceps, which seems to be the area most are talking about when mentioning arms flapping. Before you criticize yourself tooooo much, try this: Stand in front of a mirror. Raise your arms to the side with your fists near your head (as if to flex your arms like a body-builder pose). Make sure your elbows are at least a little above shoulder level. Now, tighten up those triceps on the back side of your upper arm. Finally move your elbows horizontally back & forth to try to wave those slack bits. I think you'll find that "waving" significantly reduced.

When your triceps are not engaged, the actual muscle will move ("wave") a bit. (A weight training instructor of mine showed us this.) At least tighten your triceps before you critique, so you give yourself credit for the muscle you do already have!

You mention wanting friends; feel free to friend me if you like. I'm 59 and pretty active (but still working on the weight - I've been quite active the last dozen years even as an obese person).
  • Connie7355
    Connie7355 Posts: 496 Member
    Hi there! I would love to join this group! I will be 60 in November. I've been on MFP for several years now but really got serious last year in April and from April to present I have lost 33 lbs. Believe me it comes off very slowly but it does come off even though I haven't been able to exercise at all due to several medical problems. I've been stuck lately and need to get back with it. I still want to lose another 25-30 lbs. so have a ways to go. You all seem to be a very supportive group!!
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Connie7355 wrote: »
    Hi there! I would love to join this group! I will be 60 in November. I've been on MFP for several years now but really got serious last year in April and from April to present I have lost 33 lbs. Believe me it comes off very slowly but it does come off even though I haven't been able to exercise at all due to several medical problems. I've been stuck lately and need to get back with it. I still want to lose another 25-30 lbs. so have a ways to go. You all seem to be a very supportive group!!

Looking good Connie in your pic.
  • calmom2
    calmom2 Posts: 4 Member
    Hi ladies
    I've been searching for a supportive group for 50 and over. Reading through your posts it's so refreshing to see supportive and kind feedback you give one another. I am 52 and for the past 2 years have been noticing that my weight is being very stubborn and won't come off as easily as it always has. I'm 5'7 160. Always been very active but went through a down time for about a year and I feel like a slug started yoga about 1 year ago I love it and go everyday. I am committed to using my fitness pal and joined a gym today to get started with some cardio. Yoga may be great fir my balance inside and out but I need to add some serious sweat. I'm going to try 1200 calories a day which means my crutch (wine) is going to have to take a back seat.
    Anyway I hope that you accept me into your group. I need your motivation and support and am more than open to respond with the same.
    Thank you
    Calmom
  • saggyandbaggy
    saggyandbaggy Posts: 138 Member
    I am 53 and have lost 138 lbs in the last year with MFP. I can't exercise much due to arthritic knees (from being fat!) but it is possible if you just stick with it!!
  • calmom2
    calmom2 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you saggy and baggy although I think it's time to change your name. 138 lbs it's absolutely amazing in one year?!! You are my hero!
    I'm going to call you fit and fabulous
  • dgiddens2001
    dgiddens2001 Posts: 23 Member
    would love to join this group. I am 60 with a birthday in January and 120 pounds to lose. Joined MFP 1 month ago
  • Gemini61454
    Gemini61454 Posts: 85 Member
    Hi All, I am 61 and have lost 26 pounds since January 2014. I am a steady walker at least 5 days per week now doing 50 minutes per day. I do yoga and T25 off and on. Just started T25 last night again. My 8 year old Granddaughter came down while I was doing it and told me that I didn't need to lose weight! I told her I wanted to stay strong and that I like to eat a lot! It does get tiresome when others think that "you are thin enough". They don't view it as needing ongoing work. Good luck to all, whatever your goals may be. I look at it this way: At least it is something I can do something about :)
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    I'm 48 but I'm post menopausal, a year now! I've lost 13lbs since May but only 3 of those on MFP.

I rollerblade 2-5 times a week and try and keep my calories no more than 1700.

I was happy to see this thread!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    @twilasue54 did the star turn yellow? If so, you are bookmarked here.
  • AlexanderAmelia
    AlexanderAmelia Posts: 29 Member
    Hi, everybody! I've been lurking in this group awhile. 48, peri-menopausal here. I love to have other friends in our age range. Been on MFP since March, lost 30 since then, 40+ since December.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Been following this group a while myself; lost the weight I wanted to (and then some). Right now trying to increase muscle mass and reduce body fat (I'm abt 25% and want to get to abt 20%). You are free to look at my food and exercise diary. BTW, I'll be 65 in Sep (just got my Medicare card in the mail--Yikes). B)
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Hi, all! Just wanted to check in and encourage everyone to take up resistance training. This is what really transformed my body from a size 14/16 to a 4/6 Petite. Don't wait to start weight lifting; it saves your lean muscle mass while you reduce the fat. You don't have to lift very heavy, start light and increase weight gradually. It's also great for bone density. I started with just a bar then moved up to 5lbs, then 10lbs., etc. I take Les Mills Body Pump classes 4Xs a week at my local gym, but you can work at home too, no gym necessary.

Happy to see so many new people adding their stories here! Nice to meet you all.
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    debbond58 wrote: »
    Hi! I would love to be a part of this group. I am new (again) to MFP. This is a different journey for me though because I have answers now as to why my weight loss attempts have been unsuccessful. They are medical and I won't dwell on it here. I am 57 with a lot of weight to lose. I still work full time nights as a registered nurse and exercising around that will be a challenge. Right now I am just walking and doing a few muscle toning exercises here at home. My DH put ropes in the back yard for me. I hope that will help my arms. I have grandma arms that are always waving! No gym memberships yet. I am waiting to see if I need to pick a 24h gym. I am in this now with a new understanding of my body and the knowledge that pitfalls may not truly be pitfalls and I am ready to succeed and maintain. I would love to have some friends to join me. Just FYI- my reply posts may come at odd hours.

You are welcomed to add me to your friends. I've been here a while and still have a ways to go to reach my goal. Have you tried using exercise bands to tone your arms. I don't belong to a gym but have used the Walk the Walk videos to work out at home and using bands to tone up. I've belonged to a gym in the past and didn't go. I save time and money by working out at home.
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Connie7355 wrote: »

Looking good Connie in your pic.

Hi: I'm 65 years young. Feel free to add me as a friend. I've got about 80 pounds to lose.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!