55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• jacobsl221
    jacobsl221 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have decided I just won't mention weight loss when I see her again. It will be over two months, and she sees hundreds of people. She will probably forget. In the mean time I am eating sensibly and losing slowly. Thanks for the advice!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Jacobs, Good idea. Just remember that it is a journey and not a project/diet with an end date Enjoy yourself along the way and have the occasional treat (cake, candy, pizza, etc.). I have dark chocolate chips every night after dinner; my treat most of the time. I still have the other (mentioned above); just count the cals and move on. Have lost 11 lbs (goal was only eight) and have kept it off for over two years. Good luck on your journey and feel free to rant and rave here. B)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Pooshka2 wrote: »
    I'm a "chick from 56," turning 61 in January. I started (or, I should say re-started MFP on January 3 with a goal to lose 80 pounds in 80 weeks. As of last Friday, I've lost 13 pounds, averaging 1.4 a week. January was a big loss month (as the first few weeks are typically huge water weight losses), so I look forward to a pound a week from here on. Clearly, I haven't lost a significant amount of weight (yet), but the group interests me, and I enjoyed reading the comments.

I'm looking at this not as a diet, but as a lifestyle change. My problem is portion control, so diligence in measuring, weighing and tracking has gone a long way in keeping me within my calorie limits. Overindulges are infrequent (and savored), not dwelled on as failures in the ensuing days, and forgotten as I get back on track.

I haven't started exercising regularly yet. In addition to weight loss goals, I gave up smoking in early December. I'm waiting for my lungs to further recover ~ that, with less "me" in the next few months ~ to better handle cardiac activity.

Definitely going to keep this page as a favorite, you all will be great inspiration for me and the rest of the group.

Congrats on your work so far. Your attitude sounds great. Yea, you for stopping smoking too. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.
  • trailgirl777
    trailgirl777 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I used to hike when I was younger & it is my goal for losing weight & get strong enough to go hiking again. I found this book called 'rickety knees hiking guide' - tried a few of the easier trails! Proud but so far I want to go!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Welcome @gnu4liberty and @trailgirl777. This is a great group!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I am 63, semi retired, I work couple hours a day for the school helping with the special need kids. I lost 40 lbs 4 years ago and have felt so much better. Still getting used to be retired, I think I have A personality so it is not so easy on me. Hubby still works. I do love going to the gym and thankful I am not working with a controlling bully personality that I use to work with. Retirement is definitely an adjustment. Working on finding different stuff to do, found a walking buddy recently which helped.
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Welcome brenna24179! I know what you mean about retirement being an adjustment early on. It takes a little getting used to but hopefully like many here you will soon love it! My husband is also still working so I try to stay on his schedule and make sure I'm not laying around after he leaves for work. Glad you found someone to share your walks with!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Ha, welcome @brenn24179. My husband and I retired at the end of the year. Woo hoo! We walk a lot together and cook a lot together as well. Also getting used to retirement. So far, so good
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    thanks, it is adjustment after working all these years. I love it when I have stuff to do, other days not so much. I guess it just takes time and I am grateful I can do what I want when I want. Kind of like kids leaving home, new phase of life again.

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I've been retired over two years now. I still have a ton of things on the what to do when I retire list. Here are some things on that list, feel free to steal ideas:
    Travel
    Reading all the books I missed out on while working
    Going through the basement and closets and tossing things me no longer need/want/or used in last few years.
    Walk more
    Go to the gym and do strength training
    Catch up with friends via internet or in person
    Improve my diet by learning to cook new foods
    Visit the federal, state, and regional parks in my state (lots of those in CO)
    Volunteering
    Learning to ride my bike using all the gears
    Learn to Zumba
    Make new friends like the neighbors I have barely waved at during my working years.
    Spend time with my husband doing just about anything
    Learning to use the digital camera I bought as my retirement gift to myself and hubby

And that is just a sample. I'd like to see what others are doing in retirement too.
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm a semi-retired 63 year old, now working 2 days a week at the library. I've been gaining slowly for about 15 years, starting when I left my retail job for a sit down office job. Finally I capped out at 216 at the end of 2016 (ironic numbers?) . I'm only 5'3" so I started the year pretty round

I've lost a little over 20 lbs so far. I haven't seen a change in clothing size, but I did notice more wrinkles and sags in my neck (gross) I log and weigh everything. BUT no real exercise yet, I tore my meniscus in Nov. and just had surgery last week. Limping and pain limit exercise! I do plan on walking and riding my bike as soon as I have the doctors clearance, and the stitches out.

I did see a great sale at "Chicos" on line last week and I ordered 4 new tops, something like $14-$16 each. I was thrilled to get them and I did order in my lower size, but now I'm thinking I shouldn't buy anything more until I need to, hopefully I will be in a smaller size.
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Welcome Allgaun! Just remember, even if you're not quite seeing the changes yet, they are still happening! I started 2016 at 244.7 pounds and mostly just staying within my calorie limit got me down to 161.5 in a little over a year. I understand your reluctance to buy new clothes when you know you want to keep going down in size! Since I am retired, I didn't have to worry about being too fashionable. I recently went down another size in jeans and took the advice of others on MFP and went to Goodwill and picked up a couple pairs of jeans for $7.00 a pair. I have made liberal use of an adjustable belt quite a lot during my weight-loss. I will also admit that the first really noticeable thing for me was when my shirts hung from my bust instead of draping over my belly! I don't look like I did when I was thirty or even forty, but I am thinner than and more importantly, healthier than I was at those ages! My blood pressure is normal for the first time in a couple decades without medication! Hang in there! You are worth the effort!
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    @allgaun - You deserve the best! Honesty, happiness& peace, NO excuses. (How did you catch him?) It's good to put yourself first (just like on the airlines).
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Receipts, he likes to hold on to receipts. Should have tossed the ones from the drug store.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!