55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• Mdoe20132
    Mdoe20132 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 and lost 50 lbs 2 yrs ago. I regained about 15 lbs which Im working on. I follow a strict low carb plan and practice portion control, thank you mfp. My body just cannot handle carbs anymore; bloating, joint pain, weight gain all occur. I bought a treadmill which I use 2-3x a week - would like to do some strength training, which I did during my weight loss and got away from. I work a sedentary job as an analyst.
  • tammycoughlan
    tammycoughlan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Trina2040 wrote: »
    FYI for all the new people posting on this thread: There is a grayed star top right of the page opposite the thread title. Click on it, it turns yellow creating a bookmark so that you don't have to search for this thread on the main "Recent Discussion" boards. The bell next to the star lets you know when someone has posted on the thread. Click on it to see all of your bookmarks for any thread you've saved. Welcome aboard!

Thank you!!!!!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Wow, so very nice to see so many new peeps on this thread. Welcome! The best thing about this thread is everyone is non-judgmental and very supportive! Stick with us, ladies, and you will agree.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Mdoe20132 wrote: »
    I'm 62 and lost 50 lbs 2 yrs ago. I regained about 15 lbs which Im working on. I follow a strict low carb plan and practice portion control, thank you mfp. My body just cannot handle carbs anymore; bloating, joint pain, weight gain all occur. I bought a treadmill which I use 2-3x a week - would like to do some strength training, which I did during my weight loss and got away from. I work a sedentary job as an analyst.

You might want to check out this group:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    It is restricted because some people would join and bash the low carb eating style, not helpful to anyone. If you are interested in learning more about low carb, that is the best group to join.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,168 Member
    Options
    1Nana2many wrote: »
    (much goodness snipped by reply-er, for length)

Anybody else want to add to my list of cliches? I'm sure others can be more creative than I am!

I'd add:

Try stuff. Anything you've always wanted to do, but thought you couldn't (or shouldn't).

And this: Persistence and effort make up for talent, big time.

Leav room to surprise yourself. You will! ;)
  • mk2fit
    Options
    To all of you who may not have read @1Nana2014 's post...go back and read it now. She is spot on!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Agree w/Nana, Ann, & mk2fit; do what works for you, not some meal plan from some magazine (or online), etc. that have you eating five or six times a day. I eat three meals a day w/one small snack between lunch & dinner and an extra snack on the days I workout after I get back home from the gym. B)
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Menopause has kicked my behind. I just started and it is so hard. The weight is tough to get off but I am not giving up!

@Pamela2234mfp : Hang in there! Those hormones can do a number on your body and in your head! It does get better! As does the effort to lose weight. The first couple weeks were the hardest for me, but if you stick with it, the logging gets easier because you start building up a database of your frequent foods and the feeling of being starving starts to dissipate as your stomach starts to get used to the smaller meal size. After about three weeks, if you go back to the old large meal, you will feel a lot fuller than you want to feel. Keep that glass of water handy for a while to sip on when you start to think you're hungry. When I first started, I adopted the strategy of having a drink of water and waiting thirty minutes before I ate anything if it wasn't meal time and it really helped me mentally to know that if I was still hungry in thirty minutes I could go eat something then. Usually it was actually time to eat a meal when that time was up. The hardest habit for me to deal with even now, is not to snack myself through the rest of my daily calories. When you know you only get so many calories in a day, you really start to value what is worth having as a snack and what is not. Hope this makes some sense! You can do it!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Shiny, You are so right; it is a lifestyle, not a project or "diet" with an end date. And if you mess up, tomorrow is another day. Good luck on your journey and we're here for you!! B)
  • Landofkim
    Landofkim Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I agree! Menopause has kicked my butt too ! I am in week 3 of my lifestyle change. Cardio has become my best friend and frenime. Each day is a victory. Day by day.
  • 1Nana2many
    Options
    @Landofkim Just keep showing up every day and you will keep moving in the right direction.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Brigit, Wow; congrats on your progress!! Keep at it and you'll reach your goals; and if you mess up (and you will)--tomorrow is another day. B)
  • 1Nana2many
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Great work Birgit! I like the way you stated that "simply by eating healthfully and tracking calories " That is exactly how I feel about it too! This is not rocket science! Sometimes I think we are on information overload! There are so many people telling us to eat this way or that way but mostly I still eat the same foods I ate when I was gaining the weight...I just eat less of it now. And I move more now. And I don't mean by exercising myself to death! I just make sure I am moving more. Congratulations on your success and best wishes as you continue to move forward.
  • mk2fit
    Options
    Congrats Birgit and Ming! And, actually, all the ladies here! This is a good, safe place where we can share ups and downs, encouragement and shoulders.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!