55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    mk2loser wrote: »
    @odirish, MFP bumped me from 1200 to 1540 when I went to maintenance. I continued to lose at a pretty healthy clip. I went to the IIFYM website which suggested something like 1796 so I went with 1800. I am still having a bit of trouble maintaining, but if I stay 1700-2300 I seem to be OK. It IS a learning process, both for losing and maintaining. BTW, I work out only at home. Walking, running and youtube are free and there when you want/need them. Best wishes on your journey.
    Hi 4th attempt at posting. Lose 90percent of post????? Anyone else experience this? Love this group you ladies are very encouraging and welcoming. I have not had success yet But I will just joined MFP challenge of 1000 miles in 2017 of exercise. My stats are : 253.2 Feb 13/17. Ultimate Goal: 150 Ming1951 congrats. I too maybe facing a knee replacement down the road so not losing the weight is not an option. Please feel free to add me as a Friend. I have tried this
    Post without using the Return Button and see if that works

• Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble with posting as well. Got one above that I wanted to quote....it didn't post my comment under.... but quoted another post I didn't intend.

Argh....
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Another tip for not losing big chunks of posts: It doesn't like emoticons - at least in the web version, not sure about phones. If you use an emoticon, the part of the post after the emoticon disappears when you post it. You can only us the ones built into the editor. :|
  • August_1958
    August_1958 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've just been reading up on some of the posts on this subject. I am 58 years old and have lost 25 pounds since August 2016 (6 months) and would love to have friends from this age category.
    I truly believe it is harder to lose weight after 40-45. And there are other issues that hit us naturally at this age that doesn't help to keep our focus.
    Feel free to add me to your friends list. All the motivation we can find is very helpful!
    Keep it up ladies, we can do this!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Georgia, Welcome!! We're here for you!
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    My focus has really gone downhill. Going to have lumpectomy in a couple weeks, followed by radiation. As much as I know how important it is to get on track and stay with it, temptation is worse now.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    cory17 wrote: »
    My focus has really gone downhill. Going to have lumpectomy in a couple weeks, followed by radiation. As much as I know how important it is to get on track and stay with it, temptation is worse now.

As a breast cancer survivor myself (now 16.5 years past a stage III diagnosis), I know how challenging the motivational side can be, but good nutrition and reasonable exercise while going through treatment definitely help to limit side effects, and can even improve long-term outcomes. I wouldn't advise eating in a deficit to try to lose weight while actively in treatment, unless your medical team explicitly endorses that, but MFP can be helpful in tracking and improving nutrition, which I'm sure they'd encourage.

Sorry you're having to go through this, @cory17 - wishing you the smoothest course possible!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Cory, OK if I put you on my prayer list??
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    @griffin - yes, would greatly appreciate it, thank you
    @annpt - your words inspire hope :smile:
    Ming, August & Hoppy, what a great job! Love to read the success stories! while trying to glean strategies and see what helped you and motivated.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

As a breast cancer survivor myself (now 16.5 years past a stage III diagnosis), I know how challenging the motivational side can be, but good nutrition and reasonable exercise while going through treatment definitely help to limit side effects, and can even improve long-term outcomes. I wouldn't advise eating in a deficit to try to lose weight while actively in treatment, unless your medical team explicitly endorses that, but MFP can be helpful in tracking and improving nutrition, which I'm sure they'd encourage.

Sorry you're having to go through this, @cory17 - wishing you the smoothest course possible!

AnnPT77, just wanted to say congratulations on your survival record. My sister and best friend have both had breast cancer, my friend twice (breast and ovaries removed as prevention). I know it is a hard road. Wishing you continuing success.

Cory17, hope all works out well for you.
  • goodreadsgal
    goodreadsgal Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Sorry folks have not posted. I was told my one of your group there are other groups for women here. Did not know this was exclusive
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

AnnPT77, just wanted to say congratulations on your survival record. My sister and best friend have both had breast cancer, my friend twice (breast and ovaries removed as prevention). I know it is a hard road. Wishing you continuing success.

Cory17, hope all works out well for you.

That's so kind of you, @retirehappy! Mostly, I feel lucky to have survived, having been given only about a 60% chance at diagnosis!p.

Regular vigorous exercise improves our odds, just as it improves odds that other women will avoid breast cancer in the first place. (Weight loss also reduces odds of breast cancer.)

These days, things seem easy: Extra years i had no right to expect, and for which I'm profoundly grateful. None of us has a guarantee . . . !
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sorry folks have not posted. I was told my one of your group there are other groups for women here. Did not know this was exclusive

jamiewilldo: Not sure what you mean by above statement, but people get busy with life and this thread can get busy or quiet at turns. Welcome, happy to see others who share this journey we are all on. We all find our way as we go along. Hang in there every day and you will be successful.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Jamie, Agree w/Nana; this thread is not exclusive. You are more than welcome to share your journey. Have a great weekend! B)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options

Jamie, there are groups and there are message boards. I think you have misunderstood, as I think I am the one you are referring to above.

This is a message board thread, everyone is welcome and people come and go all the time.
    There are also Groups on MFP, you can be active in those as well as the message boards. You join a Group, and then you can post on the threads there. Some of those are restricted, others as open as the message boards.

Hope this clears things up for you. And you continue posting here. If you need further support, join a Group.
  • tammycoughlan
    tammycoughlan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am new to MFP and would really like to join this group. I don't actually know how to though :). I am 57 and have lost and gained massive amounts of weight through out my life. About 7 years ago I took off 50 pounds by calorie counting, but being a serial yo yo dieter I started putting it back on. When I had crept back up to 140 I gave up sugar completely. This took off 25 pounds with very little effort. So my comfort or goal weight is 113 I am 5'3". I have put on 7.5 pounds in the past few months and get really scared that I won't get back on track. I love reading the posts and find them very motivational. So please add me as a friend or let me join the group!!! Thanks!!
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am new to MFP and would really like to join this group. I don't actually know how to though :). I am 57 and have lost and gained massive amounts of weight through out my life. About 7 years ago I took off 50 pounds by calorie counting, but being a serial yo yo dieter I started putting it back on. When I had crept back up to 140 I gave up sugar completely. This took off 25 pounds with very little effort. So my comfort or goal weight is 113 I am 5'3". I have put on 7.5 pounds in the past few months and get really scared that I won't get back on track. I love reading the posts and find them very motivational. So please add me as a friend or let me join the group!!! Thanks!!

I so empathise with this I have done exactly that up and down all my life . Last year age 70 decided enough was enough needed to eat better be stronger if I didn't want to end up a fat weak old lady Nearly a year later lost nearly 3 stone and exercise every day at home or in the gym. Keep logging foos and move more every little helps. There are lots of videos on YouTube for all levels, that's how I started. Goid luck
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!