55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Joyce - Thanks! I like to 'rock' and 'roll' - just don't want any 'rolls' ... especially not what they call 'love handles'. LOL! I was thinking "Griffin, GA ... not California.

I was ordered by my GYN into a MD-ordered/MD-run Center For Weight Loss Program and have been in it about 16 months. Starting weight on a 5'4" frame ... heaviest 200lb. That's what I weighed with my youngest son got married, 2 years ago this May. Seeing pictures of me in a 'size 18' dress, made me 'burst into tears' when I saw wedding pictures. My mother was overweight after she had a really bad auto collision back in 1953. I certainly did not what to do the yo-yoing she did and fight my weight; so I knew I had to make a 'life-style' change and I have been tracking what I eat and drink and my exercise since about June (2 years ago). I do eat pretty much what I want; but, I am on a very restrictive caloric intake (for me to be able to lose). I take a lot of medication; have a few health issues - one I cannot take any of the cholesterol-lowering medications because I have an allergic or inter-action to them. So to try to get it down, diet was the only way. I have Bipolar Disorder; but, my 'mantra' is "I don't suffer from mental illness; I enjoy every minutes of it!" With the proper dosage of medication ... I'm as sane and stable as anybody ... 'if that is really possible'. I do think that people misunderstand this disorder; but, like 'cancer' ... until people feel comfortable about 'coming out of the 'M' closest' ... it will remain a complete mystery. I hate that - on TV - any time someone does something to hurt others ... it is ALWAYS blamed on being bipolar and not taking medication for it. I also have epilepsy with seizures that are sort of 'here and there'. I've just gotten off a 6-month driving restriction.

I'm married, to the same man, for 44+ years, have two grown sons (40 and 38); two DsnL (both 38); 3 biological granddaughters 20, 16, and 10. When youngest son got married we got a 'package deal' with another GD who is 11; but, both of them are in the 5th grade. Oldest DGD is a Senior at the University of West Georgia, 16-year-old is a sophomore in HS. She doesn't seem to have any desire to 'drive' although her parents DID make her get her Learner's License, in the event of an emergency ... she could drive IF she had to.

I track everything that passes my lips, I do not 'eat back my exercise points'. I like to swim and walk in the pool in warm weather, and since I live in SW GA ... the weather here can range from being really nice and sunny to a few days here and there of being cold; to being "Hotter than Hades".

I'm an art major; but, now I just draw and paint for my pleasure at my leisure. How about you?

Lenora
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Grits, Welcome to our group (and I do live in the Middle GA area) Moved here in 1994 because of the 1st BRAC Dept of Def did; hubby & I met while on active duty w/the Navy. No snow, but the weather has gravitated from warm to cold to warm again. B)

Sally, Welcome to our group as well. We're here to motivate and encourage one another. Thing to remember is that to create an eating plan you can stick to and modify as you go along. It's not a "diet" or "project" w/an end date; it needs to be a lifestyle that you can maintain for the rest of your life. Don't keep "goodies" off your list, just include them as part of your eating plan; and if you mess up (and you will) just start over. You only fail if you quite. Good luck on your journey, and we're here if you need to vent. B)
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Great progress Ming1951!
  • goodreadsgal
    goodreadsgal Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi there I am 61 years young. So glad I found this group. I am a returning member here. I have
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Welcome Jamie and great job Ming!!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I second and third @1Nana2many and @Trina2040 although I never had a food scale ( :s ). I lost over 70 pounds in maybe 10 or 11 months and have been on maintenance for over a year. It DOES get easier as you go along. It is also easier to be more active as you lose the weight. I have found it hard to sit for any length of time.
  • 2012retiree
    2012retiree Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How quickly the pounds come back compared to how slowly the pounds come off. ☹️ I see it and working to get in right frame of mind again, but oh so hard.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    How quickly the pounds come back compared to how slowly the pounds come off. ☹️ I see it and working to get in right frame of mind again, but oh so hard.

@2012retiree I hear you. Finally in 2014 I finally realized maintaining a weight loss in my case was not related to the right frame of mind as much as just finding and eating the correct 'macro' in my case at this point in life.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    2012retiree, Gale is right; it's about the right macro (carbs, protein, fat) ratio that works for you (and not someone else;s diet). Also remember that it is not a "diet" with an end date; it is a lifestyle, so that after you have lost the weight it doesn't come back. You will fall off the wagon and have set backs (life will get in the way); just forget about it and pick up where you left off. Good luck on your journey, you will make it! : B)
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 & have lost 34lbs since last June. I never thought i could lose weight because I was eating healthy & active . I do go to the gym but don't feel able do as much as I did 10yrs ago. I go to strength/flexibility class twice a week & will return to water aerobics twice a week when the weather gets milder, besides that I go to gym on my own a few other days a week. I found that working out helps my wt loss. I used to place racquetball 6 days a week but all I can do now is practice for about 10-15 min due to my tendonitis in my wrists & just not having the stamina but I can do other things so I'm happy
  • krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'll be 56 in April and have been an MFP'er for over two years. I've lost over 100 lbs. (took about 18 -24 mos.) and have maintained most of my weight loss. The holidays were my downfall this year. BUT I'm getting back on track slowly but surely. In the past (when I was much younger), weight would come off faster, but it didn't stay off for more than a few months. This time around, I've made it my goal to not so much "diet", but eat healthier and move more. After losing the 100+ lbs., I'm able to move better and have more energy. For the first time in my life, I began taking exercise classes last summer at our local senior center. I just love the variety and mix it up with Chair Yoga, Silver Sneakers (aerobics), strength training, and Tai Chi. I feel so much better (physically and mentally) since joining these classes and they've allowed me to socialize more - which is something I thrive on!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    For me, a big realization at this age is this: I have to accept that I'm going to have to manage my weight consciously the rest of my life..and just accept that. I also have to focus on a simple approach, cause I can sustain simple. I've maintained since menopause doing 6x a week of weight training and cardio (one hour a day total), calories at about 1700 per day. I've noticed that I can no longer eat past 7 p.m. or I sleep poorly.

My motivation: Seeing what happened to my mother, who had been vigilant about her health until she was about 80. At the age, she just decided to eat what she wanted/stay in bed as much as she felt like it...even though her health was great. Within 4 years, she had a stroke/heart attack/another stroke and ended up in a nursing home. That's not what I want for myself, and certainly not what I want our son to see.

Love this thread! Such wonderful, experienced, positive voices here!

Good point about your mom and the realization that weight management is part of our lives PERIOD. Glad you have figured out what works for you. I still have about 15 lbs. to go and I don't want to find any of their friends ever again.
  • jeanniebeanie59
    jeanniebeanie59 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Here I am loosing the same 10-15 lbs but exercising more this time and I do think that is the key to my weight loss journey . I feel much better when I am exercising also . 20 min on the total gym every day unless helping out with my 93 yr old mother in law. My mom-in-law is an inspiration ...she is living in the same house my hubby grew up in since the 1950s and he stays with her 4 days a week while he is stll running his business and I go down and help a bit . She may get a bit ornery at times. She never gets sick...hardly ever a cold ..its amazing and she is a bit of a surgar hollic - but at her age we dont try and change it !! lol
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    Working on losing the same 20 lbs (make that 40) but need to make this the last time. It is about giving more value to me to not take the easy just eat whatever is there and take time. Got a cortisone injection for the hip last week and know losing weight would be much more effective. Trying to stop being a food addict.
  • cesckelson67
    cesckelson67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Agree it seems harder at our age... seems like I push do great .... then I look in the minor and go uuuggg... then get down.... so I get the need soporrt ... keep pushing.... if u ever need a punch I can try to push u as well as u push me..... I also do quotes one is and fits me "stop wishing start doing"
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!