Yeast Free

Options
So it has been recommended to have a yeast and dairy free diet. Does anyone have any good suggestions for books or websites to look to for guidance?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Who is recommending that?
  • moniquecharisse
    moniquecharisse Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

An organic nutritionist. Do you have any meal suggestions?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I do not, since I'm not sensitive to dairy and restricting yeast would not be beneficial to me.

However a quick google search revealed this site which may be helpful to you: http://yeastfreeliving.com/

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Do you have an allergy to yeast or dairy?

As far as meals go...any vegetable or meat. Other than that it comes down to reading labels. Stay away from yeast breads and stick to the quick breads.
  • moniquecharisse
    Options
    I'm having an over growth of bacteria on my tonsils so too much dairy and yeast is possibly making it worst.

What is quick bread?
  • moniquecharisse
    Options
    Thanks for the website!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your nutritionist is very knowledgeable.

yeastconnection.com/archive/fighting_ask_may05.html
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Quick bread is bread made with baking powder and baking soda instead of yeast.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    By any chance did a doctor confirm this? It's possible that it's true, but my wife and I went to see one of those (free at out doctors office) and we were told that she probably had limes disease and a few other things. Afterwards the doctor just shook her head.

But essentially, limit bread and dairy. So an increase in meats and fish, legumes, fruits, and veggies.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Cutting down on sugar and taking probiotics is a good way to fight an overgrowth of yeast. I don't understand how eating yeast raised products could affect a yeast overgrowth. When you bake, cook, fry, a yeast raised product the yeast dies.

You probably have taken antibiotics in the past and killed off the good bacteria in your system. The good bacteria is needed to keep the yeast in check. Sugar fuels the yeast. Probiotics help to regain the natural balance needed.

Dairy products can cause an excessive amount of mucous flow. If you have post nasal drip that could be contributing to the tonsil issue. Do you have thrush?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm having an over growth of bacteria on my tonsils so too much dairy and yeast is possibly making it worst.

What is quick bread?

Savory quick breads are things like pancakes, biscuits, tortillas, some flatbreads, matzo, crackers, etc. Sweet quick breads are your typical tea breads like banana, date nut, etc. Scones and muffins are kind of in between sweet and savory, but are also quick breads. Anything that is unleavened or is leavened with baking soda or baking powder is a quick bread.

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    meat, veggies, rice, beans. in any combination. Try a dairy free milk.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

I would suggest ignoring their advice.

If you have an overgrowth of bacteria on your tonsils, you need antibiotics.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

This is what I was thinking too.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

That might be the best advice except we don't know why she ended up seeing an organic nutritionist. Maybe her doctor advised it over giving an antibiotic.

Idk...not sure what the difference is between an organic nutritionist vs a holistic nutritionist vs just a plain old nutritionist.

• andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options

What exactly are you eating that contains live yeast?
    Bread is leavened by yeast, but the yeast dies during the baking process.
    I fail to see how having "bacteria on your tonsils" is made worse by too much yeast.
    In fact, it's the opposite. They are competing species and if you have a healthy gut bacteria biome, it will outcompete any yeast growths.

I could give you examples but it might be gross. ;)
  • kirstym1108
    kirstym1108 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't the organic nutritionist give you some ideas?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    please see a doctor before taking this advice. An overgrowth of bacteria is not something that is usually caused by food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Why would it be hard to avoid yeast and dairy? Most of my meals are yeast and dairy free.

Stir fry
    chili, soup or stew
    grilled, roasted, baked or pan seared meat/seafood and some type of vegetable and/or fruit
    pasta, rice or other grain
    beans and cornbread
    beans and rice
    tuna salad, egg salad, any kind of salad