167891012»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Jefbro98 wrote: »
    Seems like the general consensus here is just to hold on and fight the cravings. Well that's what I've been trying to do, and I'll keep fighting but I think sugar should be considered another type of drug!

Some doctors out there think it is:

http://www.thedoctorwithin.com/sugar/sugar-the-sweet-thief-of-life/

I would like to point out that all of their references are from the 90's... It's like science hasn't changed in 15 or 20 years.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Seems like the general consensus here is just to hold on and fight the cravings. Well that's what I've been trying to do, and I'll keep fighting but I think sugar should be considered another type of drug!

I would like to point out that all of their references are from the 90's... It's like science hasn't changed in 15 or 20 years.

So what: I wasn't speaking directly to the science. I was amused by Jefbro98's comment "I think sugar should be considered another type of drug" and therefore shared my comment above because of that so that Jefbro98 knew he wasn't the only one who thought/felt that way.
  • USAWANDERER
    USAWANDERER Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When my sweet tooth kicks in I have an Outshine Simply Yogurt Bar (yogurt on an ice cream stick) or I'll have 2 Oreo Thins. I'm not use too eating a lot of food (just the wrong foods). Now that I am eating healthier foods & keeping track I always seem to have left over #'s in all the categories to be able to have something sweet if the urge kicks in.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

So what: I wasn't speaking directly to the science. I was amused by Jefbro98's comment "I think sugar should be considered another type of drug" and therefore shared my comment above because of that so that Jefbro98 knew he wasn't the only one who thought/felt that way.

Do you consider sugar so much a drug that you would have it declared illegal?

If it is truly a drug then how do you explain why some of us can eat sugar and not have cravings or over consume it?

How do you feel about sodium/salt? It too is found in most foods either naturally or added. Many people...myself included would rather have a salty food over a sweet food.

I understand that someone can develop an extreme "like" for certain foods. What I don't understand is why anyone would consider them a drug.

BTW...my love for salt started as a child and continued into adulthood. I still REALLY love salty food...I just don't eat as many of those foods nor consume an overly amount of salt.

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

Do you consider sugar so much a drug that you would have it declared illegal?

If it is truly a drug then how do you explain why some of us can eat sugar and not have cravings or over consume it?

How do you feel about sodium/salt? It too is found in most foods either naturally or added. Many people...myself included would rather have a salty food over a sweet food.

I understand that someone can develop an extreme "like" for certain foods. What I don't understand is why anyone would consider them a drug.

BTW...my love for salt started as a child and continued into adulthood. I still REALLY love salty food...I just don't eat as many of those foods nor consume an overly amount of salt.

*I* never said it was a drug! You, among others, are missing the point again! I do not think sugar is a drug but I do think it is addictive. What is it about MFP forums where people get attacked for making a comment more along the lines of observation even if their comment isn't their "opinion" on the matter being discussed?! Move on already. I could care less if sugar were "declared illegal." I don't particularly care about salt one way or the other. My body dumps salt because of the lifestyle I follow so I actually have to make an effort to take in a lot of it to counter the salt dumping. I do not crave salty foods like you. I like sweet foods.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    No one attacked you...at least I didn't.
  • tricielv
    tricielv Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Introduce more leafy greens and lean proteins. Eliminate/reduce alcohol, starchy veggies like peas and corn, refined sugar and soda pop.

Drink lots of water and add lemon juice (fresh) to it.

Want some sugar, have a lemon wedge and a waterback.
  • tricielv
    tricielv Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    And don't buy processed foods if you can help it, high fructose corn syrup, etc. Read the labels.
    A lot of natural fruit are high in sugar, bad for diabetics... granny smith apples are low-sodium.

You can eat sweet and russet potatoes bc they're high in potassium even though they're starchy.

Choose wisely. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options

*I* never said it was a drug! You, among others, are missing the point again! I do not think sugar is a drug but I do think it is addictive. What is it about MFP forums where people get attacked for making a comment more along the lines of observation even if their comment isn't their "opinion" on the matter being discussed?! Move on already. I could care less if sugar were "declared illegal." I don't particularly care about salt one way or the other. My body dumps salt because of the lifestyle I follow so I actually have to make an effort to take in a lot of it to counter the salt dumping. I do not crave salty foods like you. I like sweet foods.

No one is attacking you. Disagreement =/= attack. I am not sure if you read the whole thread, but I will requote myself regarding addiction:
    The reason we all debate sugar addiction is because there aren't any human studies that correlate sugar to being addictive. Thing of it like this, do you binge on fruit, veggies, dairy or do you eat straight cane sugar? All of those have sugar in it. The fact is, the majority of the foods that people say they are addicted to - cake, ice cream, cookies, muffins, etc... - tend to have large amounts of fat and sugar (and in some case more calories of fat than sugar). In the end, people just love hyperpalatable foods, essentially, we just love good food.

And the reason it gives you so much satisfaction, is that you absolutely love those foods. I am no different than you with steak, wings, korean bbq, or klondike bars. And it's even potential that you developed an emotion response or reward system towards these foods.

Now there are really two major ways to approaching the situation.. abstinence or moderation. For me, abstinence of foods does not work. For you, if you like very structure and you can't moderate quantity, it's possible you need to go cold turkey. Or you have the option of incorporating some of these foods on a weekly or semi frequent basis. For me, I eat 80-90% of my calories from fruits, veggies, fish, meats, whole grains (especially high in fiber) and some dairy, but I have a Klondike each night. And why not, I bust my but working out 6 days a week. I started my weight loss journey at 202 and now I sit at 175, which is my high school weight (I am 33 now).

So honestly, you need to find an approach that works for you.

Second, there are people who have all kinds of theories and opinions on the internet, but it doesn't mean they are true.
  • Marinemomm
    Marinemomm Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is a lifetime journey so there will be times you eat sugar, just gotta be smart and eat the right ones. For example, I use to love ice cream at night for a snack...every night lol. Now I have to switch it up. Once in awhile I'll cut a banana in half,add nuts if I have enough calories left, put fat free cool whip on it, melt ONE square of Lindt dark chocolate and drizzle it over the banana...a sundae minus the fat!