What am I doing wrong?

If anybody could give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it. I have been using MFP for 30 days. My profile states that I have lost 8 lbs, but that isn't entirely correct. I lost 6 lbs the first few days (water weight) and since have lost 2 lbs (accually gained a pound this week....so total loss is 1 lb). I weigh everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, I put in my mouth. I work out 60+ minutes 6-7 days a week. My HRM estimates my calories burned during my workouts (which I heard is the most accurate.) I rarely go over my calories...and I don't eat back my excercise calories. I am 5'7 and weigh 162. My goal weight is 145. I also measure my body weekly and I have lost NO inches. I know that weight loss is a journey but I'm getting really frustrated that I seem to be doing everything right and nothing is changing! My diary is open and I would appreciate any tips I could get. Maybe I'm missing something someone else could see.
Thanks so much!

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Diary isn't open. With just 16 lbs left to lose, you should probably set your loss rate to 0.5 lbs per week. Then try to eat back about 50% of your exercise calories. To keep yourself happy and performance up, you simply can't maintain a huge deficit each day.

Right now, you're still probably retaining water.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    So, after the first 6lbs, you've lost on average about half a pound a week, right? That's exactly what you should be aiming for if you've got 16 lbs to lose. I don't see the problem? The 1 lb gain is totally normal, fluctuations happen.

(And just to say your diary isn't open!)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Yeah, I don't see your diary being open, either. That's the first place I'd look.
  • tabl_23
    tabl_23 Posts: 46 Member
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Diary isn't open. With just 16 lbs left to lose, you should probably set your loss rate to 0.5 lbs per week. Then try to eat back about 50% of your exercise calories. To keep yourself happy and performance up, you simply can't maintain a huge deficit each day.

Right now, you're still probably retaining water.

Sorry. I opened it to the public. :) thanks!
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    You're being impatient and expecting too much.

1) Just because the scale goes up a pound in a week doesn't mean you gained a pound. If you weigh everything, then you know you didn't actually consume an extra pound of calories. It's very normal to weigh in a pound heavier one day week.

2) Even putting aside the amount you think is water weight, 30 days and you've lost 2 pounds. That's the right rate for someone at your size. You cannot expect to lose 2 pounds a week when you're looking to lose less than 20 pounds.

3) 30 days isn't a very long time. You certainly wouldn't be losing multiple inches in 30 days.

It seems like you're looking to have instant results and these things take time. We didn't gain all the weight in a few months and we certainly won't lose it in that amount of time either.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited August 2015
    tabl_23 wrote: »
    I weigh everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, I put in my mouth.

It doesn't look like it... I'm not seeing that many weighed entries. Lots are in cups, or spoons, or slices.

Not that it really matters that much right now, since you're losing at the rate you should be.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    terar21 wrote: »

1) Just because the scale goes up a pound in a week doesn't mean you gained a pound. If you weigh everything, then you know you didn't actually consume an extra pound of calories. It's very normal to weigh in a pound heavier one day week.

2) Even putting aside the amount you think is water weight, 30 days and you've lost 2 pounds. That's the right rate for someone at your size. You cannot expect to lose 2 pounds a week when you're looking to lose less than 20 pounds.

3) 30 days isn't a very long time. You certainly wouldn't be losing multiple inches in 30 days.

It seems like you're looking to have instant results and these things take time. We didn't gain all the weight in a few months and we certainly won't lose it in that amount of time either.

Right here!!! 2lbs/mo is awesome!
  • tabl_23

I don't expect instant results. I have been on this weight loss journey for nearly a year (I lost 30 lbs before starting MFP). I started in September of last year and lost 30 lbs by January. Since January I haven't lost anything. I never can seem to get below 160. That is why I joined MFP figured maybe it would give me the edge I needed to take off the last 16 lbs.

Thanks for all your guys advise. I'm not trying to rush anything...maybe I was just accustomed to losing weight quickly....since the first 30 lbs came off so quick. It's been 8 months of trying to take off the last 16 lbs...lol.
  • WBB55
    You're netting below 1000 calories on many days. Don't do that. Fuel your workouts.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    You aren't burning 800+ calories walking at a slow pace even for 2 hours.
    One entry shows 800 for about 90 minutes.

HRMs accuracy are very much overstated here and aren't great for lower intensity exercise like walking.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    WBB55 wrote: »
    You're netting below 1000 calories on many days. Don't do that. Fuel your workouts.

I only went back a few days but walking was all that I found so far. And see my above post.
  • tabl_23
    My Garmin HRM puts it at "walking" regardless of what I'm doing. Usually I am doing areobics and weight lifting daily....but when I sync my heart ate monitor it puts "walking"....it doesn't even give me an option to change it.
  • WBB55
    ah, I went back a month. Aerobics, dancing, calisthenics, etc.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member

I don't expect instant results. I have been on this weight loss journey for nearly a year (I lost 30 lbs before starting MFP). I started in September of last year and lost 30 lbs by January. Since January I haven't lost anything. I never can seem to get below 160. That is why I joined MFP figured maybe it would give me the edge I needed to take off the last 16 lbs.

Thanks for all your guys advise. I'm not trying to rush anything...maybe I was just accustomed to losing weight quickly....since the first 30 lbs came off so quick. It's been 8 months of trying to take off the last 16 lbs...lol.

Just based off the current nets in your diary (took a look after I commented and you opened it), I'd say there's a good chance you lost so quickly because you were under-eating. You're nets are very low (too low). That's why it keep off so easy. Don't know exactly when you started in September and when you stopped losing in January but that could be around 2 pounds a week right? So yeah...the math would definitely say you had a very low net.

This is just speculation since I don't have details of what you did from January to now to know exactly why you didn't lose but a lot of people panic when they stop having dramatic losses and sabotage themselves by making weird adjustments week by week trying to get some results.

Also, if this is something you've been going at, then that 6 pounds wasn't water. You wouldn't lose 6 pounds of water just from starting MFP if you've been actively at this for months. The 6 pounds should be counting as part of your loss, which would definitely confirm the low nets you have in your diary.

Remember that pounds don't come off at a consistent rate and there's countless reasons why you don't show loss in a scale for an extended period of time and then it suddenly comes off.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    The last 20lbs WON'T come off as quickly as the first 30. It shouldn't. It's just how your body works.

Eat enough (meaning NETTING at least 1200), fuel your workouts, make 80/20 food choices (learn good habits for your lifetime, not just "while you are losing) and be patient. It took about 5 months for me to lose the last 17. SLOW, but well worth it!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited August 2015
    My Garmin HRM puts it at "walking" regardless of what I'm doing. Usually I am doing areobics and weight lifting daily....but when I sync my heart ate monitor it puts "walking"....it doesn't even give me an option to change it.

Even still 800 calories in 90 minutes would be basically equivalent to running about 8-10 miles in that time frame. Certainly possible, but unless you are doing something that intense (ie - NOT weight lifting), you're not burning nearly that many calories.

HRMs should only be used for steady-state cardio activities anyway - aerobics maybe, but certainly not weight lifting.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited August 2015
    Sometimes you stall for a while if your period is due, or your muscles are just retaining water from too much exercise. Could it be the case? Otherwise, patience... As long as you know you're not eating too much, you WILL lose. Heck you're eating too little right now IMO... I don't know how sustainable that's going to be. I can't imagine you have much energy for your workouts this way, and you're probably burning your muscle as much as fat...

That being said, I would double check your entries, because 3oz of chicken breast is closer to 120 calories than 96, for example (and has more protein than the entry you used too).
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I don't think you're doing anything wrong, but your expectations may be a bit high. As others have stated you can expect ~.5 lb/week loss assuming you want to preserve your muscle mass and only reduce your body fat %.

I have a similar approach to tracking my exercise and use my fitbit steps to ensure I'm maintaining a deficit. As I am in my final 10 lbs to lose I have noticed a significant decrease in the rate of loss. Just be patient and continue doing what you're doing.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    You need to be eating more. Your net caloric intake is far too low!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited August 2015
    I started in September of last year and lost 30 lbs by January. Since January I haven't lost anything. I never can seem to get below 160. That is why I joined MFP figured maybe it would give me the edge I needed to take off the last 16 lbs.

1. The less you have to lose, the more slowly it comes off. That's just the way the human body works. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week, and be patient.

2. The smaller you get, the smaller the margin of error. So you need to log everything you eat & drink even more accurately & even more honestly. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging works.
    nnnaq5rggu08.jpg
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    EM2WL periscope
    EM2WL group

+1000 on eating more! You lost at a good pace until your metabolism slowed down due to near severe under-eating. Check out these resources to learn more. You need to eat more, eat smart, but you need to fuel your metabolism.