Bulking and hungry in the morning?!?!?

Options
Hi All,

I am currently 5'2" 104 lbs (morning weight). I am bulking at 2400 calories. I've been trying to find my accurate TDEE and bulking calories for about 2 weeks now.

I've increased from 2100 - 2400cals within less than 2 weeks While on a bulk, am i supposed to feel full? However i dont.

I go to sleep feeling 70% full and wake up with a growling stomach. My weight has been fluctuating all over the place. Week 1 i suspect it maybe water retention from a new routine? But the weight decreased in week 2 despite increasing calories...

Does it mean i am still eating at a deficit?

Week 1: 15 Aug - 21 Aug
Body weight: 47.7 kg (105.1lbs)

Week 2: 23 Aug - 27 Aug
Body weight: 46.7 kg (103 lbs)

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Too soon to tell. Especially if you increased calories again in the meantime. Stick to one number for about a month so your body can adjust and you can really see change on the scale.
    Also, are you weighing all your foods?
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Too soon to tell. Especially if you increased calories again in the meantime. Stick to one number for about a month so your body can adjust and you can really see change on the scale.

i eat out for lunch, hence its a rough estimate, should be quite close though... but if my body is hungry ( and its growling), i shouldnt be resisting food yes?
  • AsISmile
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »

i eat out for lunch, hence its a rough estimate, should be quite close though... but if my body is hungry ( and its growling), i shouldnt be resisting food yes?

Nope, but unless there are calories on the menu you are most likely estimating your lunch wrong.
    I can't remember the specific thread I read it in, but it was something along the lines of most people's calories estimation is off by 50% either direction.

Anyway, if you eat about the same for lunch every day the number is not too important, as long as you consistently log your other food.
    MFP might say you are eating 2400 or 2500 while you are not. The exact number is not important though, if you gain 0.5 lbs a week you know you are 250 calories above maintenance. (You just don't know what your exact maintenance is.)

Anyway, morale of the story. Eat more if you want, you are trying to gain. However, it is way too soon to tell if your bulk is working.
  • le4hbe4h
    le4hbe4h Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you consuming? And what workout are you doing?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Two weeks is difficult to tell if you aren't eating enough as your body will naturally fluctuate up and down. Generally, you want to see a trend over a 4-6 week time frame and then adjust.

If you are hungry a lot, then I would ask if you are eating enough protein, fats and fiber. Can you open your diary so we can provide some feedback..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    le4hbe4h wrote: »

protein does not matter as much as carbs during a bulk.

• ndj1979
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Two weeks is difficult to tell if you aren't eating enough as your body will naturally fluctuate up and down. Generally, you want to see a trend over a 4-6 week time frame and then adjust.

If you are hungry a lot, then I would ask if you are eating enough protein, fats and fiber. Can you open your diary so we can provide some feedback..

two weeks of not gaining though, don't you think OP should increase by another 50 or 100 cals a day???
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

two weeks of not gaining though, don't you think OP should increase by another 50 or 100 cals a day???

Looking at the OP's diary, she actually doesn't hit her 2400 calorie target. In the past two weeks, it was almost hit once. Most days are closer to 2100 (some as low as 1900 and the high was like 2369). So more consistently hitting 2400 would be my first suggestion.

• JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Says who?

http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?40596-BULKING-More-important-Carbs-vs-Fats
  • ndj1979
    Options
    JoshLibby wrote: »

Says who?

http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?40596-BULKING-More-important-Carbs-vs-Fats

Really, your linking to a forum as your evidence?

When bulking carbs are more important because the insulin spike signals your muscles to start building. Protein should still be about .85 grams per pound of body weight however majority of caps should come from carbs.

Protein is more important on cut to maintain existing mass.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Looking at the OP's diary, she actually doesn't hit her 2400 calorie target. In the past two weeks, it was almost hit once. Most days are closer to 2100 (some as low as 1900 and the high was like 2369). So more consistently hitting 2400 would be my first suggestion.

I did not look in diary...

Then yes, op should hit 2400 and see what happens.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    OP...you need to hit your calorie targets for starters. you're not going to successfully bulk if you're not consistently hitting your targets.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

@Shouliveshappy as @ndj1979 and @psulemon have said aim to hit the 2400 calorie target every day. A good way of doing this would be to pre plan your day so you know when you are eat, what you are eating and you wont be left with the end of day with loads of calories left and wondering how to fill them.
  • AsISmile
    Options
    It looks like up until sunday the 23rd OP's goal was 2200 calories.
    It was changed to 2400 yesterday (wednesday).

So you upped your calories by 200 in a week.. I would suggest hitting your new goal for a while and see what that does...
  • psuLemon
    Options

Says who?

Protein has it's limitations and at some point, more =/= better. Most studies would suggest that protein at 1-1.4kg per weight is effective.

Eating more carbs will enable your body to replenish glycogen stores to allow for maximum protein uptake and stimulates insulin to promote growth.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    My experience has been that my hunger signals get weird every time I change my intake, and especially when I up it. Once I've increased my actual intake (not my goal, but the number of calories I'm consistently eating daily), I tend to feel over-full for 7-10 days, then starving for 7-10 days, and then it evens out. My weight also tends to jump up and down for the first 2-4 weeks when I start upping my calories, so just be patient and ride it out.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    And stop leaving calories on the table! At this point, you're basically doing an experiment to see what intake you need in order to gain at a controlled weight. If your inputs aren't consistent, you won't get good, accurate result data.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Says who?

it's not that protein isn't important....it's just that once you exceed about 1 gram per Lb of LBM there really is no additional benefit...

eating all of the carbs is going to spike insulin and help you grow.
  • JoshLibby
    edited August 2015
    Options

Says who?

Protein has it's limitations and at some point, more =/= better. Most studies would suggest that protein at 1-1.4kg per weight is effective.

Eating more carbs will enable your body to replenish glycogen stores to allow for maximum protein uptake and stimulates insulin to promote growth.
    It's actual " learn body" weight, not 1 gram per pound of body weight If you're fat 300 pounds you don't need 300 grams of protein.

Of course protein has limitations, all macros do. The point is protein is the most important when building muscle bulking/cutting. Carbs fats(both can do the same as the body will break down both if needed it just prefers carbs)

I believe the real statements should have said carbs can be important as fats and protein, and should be used at certain moments when it's optimal but they are no where near the most important variable, and because we all are different some people respond different to carbs, proteins, and fats.

• JoshLibby
    edited August 2015
    Options

Says who?

Really, your linking to a forum as your evidence?

When bulking carbs are more important because the insulin spike signals your muscles to start building. Protein should still be about .85 grams per pound of body weight however majority of caps should come from carbs.

Protein is more important on cut to maintain existing mass.

Yep, I linked a body building site. As, since the main goal of those particular people seems to be more reliable for they are on stage and there careers are on the line. Some one might say Jay Cutter takes 1000 grams of carbs, and that is true but that man eats like 10k+ calories, so really is it high or moderate depending on the person. I can also say that actors who are bulking up are eating incredible sources of protein there are many you tube interviews of this. Hugh Jackman himself said he was eating 6-8 chicken breast protein shakes, not counting his other calories, or I can take the rocks diet with how much Cod that man is eating. I'm not saying carbs are not important I am just commenting on your word choice.