“food can be the most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison”

Options
umayster
umayster Posts: 651 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Very interesting article in the British Medical Journal regarding diet composition in regards to cardiovascular risk, metabolic syndrome and diabetes.

A critical review in Nutrition also concluded that dietary carbohydrate restriction is the “single most effective intervention for reducing all of the features of the metabolic syndrome” and should be the first approach in diabetes management with the very low carbohydrate ketogenic diet (<10% carbs) revealing the greatest falls in glycated hemoglobin and reduction in the use of medications with benefits occurring even without weight loss.

Shifting focus away from calories and emphasising a dietary pattern that focuses on food quality rather than quantity will help to rapidly reduce obesity, related diseases and cardiovascular risk.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    Very interesting article in the British Medical Journal regarding diet composition in regards to cardiovascular risk, metabolic syndrome and diabetes.

A critical review in Nutrition also concluded that dietary carbohydrate restriction is the “single most effective intervention for reducing all of the features of the metabolic syndrome” and should be the first approach in diabetes management with the very low carbohydrate ketogenic diet (<10% carbs) revealing the greatest falls in glycated hemoglobin and reduction in the use of medications with benefits occurring even without weight loss.

Shifting focus away from calories and emphasising a dietary pattern that focuses on food quality rather than quantity will help to rapidly reduce obesity, related diseases and cardiovascular risk.

Link?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    But....oh never mind. I'll just grab the popcorn & watch this go up in flames.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Best be low carb popcorn, son, or you're gonna die.

Have some of mine. The smothered coating of butter-flavored coconut oil will protect you from the evil, evil carbs.
    _DSC0244.JPG
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Have some of mine. The smothered coating of butter-flavored coconut oil will protect you from the evil, evil carbs.
    _DSC0244.JPG

Whoa!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Link?

It's usually a good idea to cite your sources if you are going to copy and paste..
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Not to mention the plagiarized thread title, which is a quote by Ann Wigmore ("Lithuanian holistic health practitioner, nutritionist, whole foods advocate, and health educator"...thank you Google) and seemingly has nothing to do with the content posted.

ETA - well I guess by putting the title in "quotes" calling it plagiarized might be a bit of a stretch...still always good to give credit to original authors though.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

_DSC0244.JPG

Toss in some peanut butter m&m's and I'm in.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Posts a thread about an article, but doesn't post said article...Sense that makes....none. I think you need some glucose in your life.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Link?

BMJ link
  • SLLRunner
    edited August 2015
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Link?

BMJ link

Thank you, @msf74.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    fruits and vegetables and legumes and oats and other whole grains are packed with nutrition...and they are carbs.

fecking devil oatmeal...and I knew these black beans would be the death of me...
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

but I eat (insert diet of the month) and now I'm not an a**hole...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The article is essentially an argument against current recommendations. Given the existence of the current recommendations, it is obviously disagreed with by many.

It's about people with diabetes (and contrary to the apparent opinion of some, not everyone has diabetes).

It assumes that people with diabetes can't (or are unlikely to) lose weight.

It assumes (and this is one of the more controversial parts that I think demonstrates bias given the variety of studies I know of) that low carb is a more effective way to lose weight. (The main evidence relied on for this are studies that have been discussed here before, in which the successes with the low carb diet lost substantially less than I or many others at MFP did without going low carb.)

But, hey, there's never enough low carb evangelism on MFP, so why not.

I prefer my popcorn without butter, though -- butter makes it soggy.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Link?

BMJ link

Thank you, @msf74.

No probs.

It's being reported on today in the UK.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    fruits and vegetables and legumes and oats and other whole grains are packed with nutrition...and they are carbs.

fecking devil oatmeal...and I knew these black beans would be the death of me...

All of this.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think a big problem is putting food on this sort of pedestal. It's neither medicine or poison. It's nutrition and it is a chief source of pleasure. The article is drama. I dismiss it with a wave of my wand. *pouf