Water question

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited August 2015
    spm2010 wrote: »
    How much water is too much? I am aiming for 3litres a day, is that too little? too much?

If you're thirsty, drink. If you're not, don't drink. That's the motto I love by. :)

That, and the color of my pee.
  • SLLRunner
    edited August 2015
    andympanda wrote: »
    Their are many factors in weather you drinking too much or too little. Height, weight, how much water you have been loosing due to sweating (exercise or heat related.) best option is speak to a health professional on best amount to drink.

Ask your health professional about water? Why? The color of your urine tells you whether you are properly hydrated or not.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Did I see someone post the pee chart? That's pretty much all you need, unless you take a medication that's going to alter the basic color of your urine. The amount of water you need is going to vary, but the color of your pee is the hydration test. Seriously. When I was concerned, I called my doctor. He asked me, "What color is your urine?" I said, "Clear-ish." He said, "You're fine. Find a urine color chat online and use that." Yeah, the pee chart is awesome.
  • SLLRunner
    2Poufs wrote: »
    Did I see someone post the pee chart? That's pretty much all you need, unless you take a medication that's going to alter the basic color of your urine. The amount of water you need is going to vary, but the color of your pee is the hydration test. Seriously. When I was concerned, I called my doctor. He asked me, "What color is your urine?" I said, "Clear-ish." He said, "You're fine. Find a urine color chat online and use that." Yeah, the pee chart is awesome.

Yep.
    Azexas wrote: »
    Everyone is going to be a little different. I suggest going by the color of your urine. If your urine has no color to it you are drinking too much water. od34tdfapwsf.jpg

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Yep.
    Everyone is going to be a little different. I suggest going by the color of your urine. If your urine has no color to it you are drinking too much water. od34tdfapwsf.jpg

PEE CHART!!!

Whoa. Might need to dial back the caffeine today. Lawdy!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Might need to dial back the caffeine today. Lawdy!

Heresy! :wink:

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member

Yep.

PEE CHART!!!

Whoa. Might need to dial back the caffeine today. Lawdy!

It's okay though! The caffeine won't dehydrate you ;)
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/caffeinated-drinks/faq-20057965
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Their are many factors in weather you drinking too much or too little. Height, weight, how much water you have been loosing due to sweating (exercise or heat related.) best option is speak to a health professional on best amount to drink.

Ask your health professional about water? Why? The color of your urine tells you whether you are properly hydrated or not.

Health professional know more then the internet. They can tell the OP the correct amount to drink. They know the complete medical history.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member

Health professional know more then the internet. They can tell the OP the correct amount to drink. They know the complete medical history.
    It might be hard to get that many appointments. Maybe some knowledge and self-evaluation would work better in the real world.

• SLLRunner

If you have a special medical condition that requires extra water, sure, that would be appropriate. Otherwise, no, it seems superfluous to discuss water with the doctor. :)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member

If you have a special medical condition that requires extra water, sure, that would be appropriate. Otherwise, no, it seems superfluous to discuss water with the doctor. :)

I have an appointment tomorrow with my GP to ensure I'm inhaling enough oxygen in the air I breathe.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    Drinking water only when you’re thirsty doesn't mean you're properly hydrated.

Yes, I remember hearing or reading that the thirst cue doesn't kick in soon enough. While looking for something to verify this (or not) I found this, which reminded me of how my fiance's father got dangerously dehydrated while in a nursing home:

Dehydration an issue for elderly people, says research
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Unless you have a physical or psychological condition that alters your sense of thirst, you can trust it. Drink water when you're thirsty. That's all you have to do. No measuring, counting necessary. You don't have to urinate and examine the results to figure out if you should have something to drink.

Drink to your thirst.

Yes.

IMO forcing oneself to drink a predetermined amount of water per day regardless of thirst is just as disordered as binging on food.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Drinking water only when you’re thirsty doesn't mean you're properly hydrated.

Agreed. drinking 64-100oz a day takes getting used to, when I started I would never be able to reach that just going by thirst unless I had a really hard workout. maybe. It helps me to keep track and try to have a certain amount drunk by lunchtime etc.
  • SLLRunner
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    Unless you have a physical or psychological condition that alters your sense of thirst, you can trust it. Drink water when you're thirsty. That's all you have to do. No measuring, counting necessary. You don't have to urinate and examine the results to figure out if you should have something to drink.

Drink to your thirst.

Yes.

IMO forcing oneself to drink a predetermined amount of water per day regardless of thirst is just as disordered as binging on food.

People are not talking about the extreme of forcing yourself to drink water, but how to tell if you get enough water. Urine color does determine that.
  • SLLRunner
    ceoverturf wrote: »

I have an appointment tomorrow with my GP to ensure I'm inhaling enough oxygen in the air I breathe.

Once you have the answer, please provide an update. :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I will say this because I just had it done due to starting a new job. clear urine may trigger a flag if you get a drug screening done. ease up on it that day. to the screeners, it's a sign that you are trying to flush illegal things from your system. the place I went had a chart of appropriate urine colors and ones that were flags. fyi. they more you know.

Heh, the one time I had a drug test (I once considered working for a pharmaceutical company and they, for obvious reasons, drug screened) I was super neurotic about accidently ingesting poppy seeds in the week leading up to it. Glad I hadn't known this, or I would have gone crazy trying to not drink too much water! ;-)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member

If a person is under the impression that they need to urinate before figuring out if they should have something to drink, asking the doctor about hydration is an excellent idea. I wouldn't suggest making an appointment for it, but the next time you have a physical, ask.

Also, if they think they need to count or measure water or tent their skin or anything other ridiculous thing people post here that isn't about trusting their thirst...ask the doctor. See if it's okay to trust your thirst.

This water thing has been made so much more complicated than it needs to be.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    The idea is -- obviously, why pretend otherwise? -- not to look at your urine before drinking, but because SOME people may not drink enough/may not be able to trust their thirst signals, it's an easy way to tell if you seem to be getting enough in general. If you are, then trust your thirst signals or keep on as you were.

I always assumed that most could trust thirst signals, since I'm someone who likes to have water to sip on all the time anyway, but apparently lots of people cannot. Rather than worrying about getting a specific number of glasses, it's a way to check if you are someone who has to worry about it.
  • SLLRunner

If a person is under the impression that they need to urinate before figuring out if they should have something to drink, asking the doctor about hydration is an excellent idea. I wouldn't suggest making an appointment for it, but the next time you have a physical, ask.

Also, if they think they need to count or measure water or tent their skin or anything other ridiculous thing people post here that isn't about trusting their thirst...ask the doctor. See if it's okay to trust your thirst.

This water thing has been made so much more complicated than it needs to be.

Who said they need to urinate before figuring out if they should have something to drink?

I also missed where someone said they need to "count or measure water or tent their skin" as well.