Water question

13»

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The idea is -- obviously, why pretend otherwise? -- not to look at your urine before drinking, but because SOME people may not drink enough/may not be able to trust their thirst signals, it's an easy way to tell if you seem to be getting enough in general. If you are, then trust your thirst signals or keep on as you were.

I always assumed that most could trust thirst signals, since I'm someone who likes to have water to sip on all the time anyway, but apparently lots of people cannot. Rather than worrying about getting a specific number of glasses, it's a way to check if you are someone who has to worry about it.

I don't think it's so much that people don't trust their thirst but that this insane "Ehmagawd! Drink your water!!!" mantra has become inextricably linked with weight loss so now people think it has something to do with their success/failure.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    maidentl wrote: »
    The idea is -- obviously, why pretend otherwise? -- not to look at your urine before drinking, but because SOME people may not drink enough/may not be able to trust their thirst signals, it's an easy way to tell if you seem to be getting enough in general. If you are, then trust your thirst signals or keep on as you were.

I always assumed that most could trust thirst signals, since I'm someone who likes to have water to sip on all the time anyway, but apparently lots of people cannot. Rather than worrying about getting a specific number of glasses, it's a way to check if you are someone who has to worry about it.

I don't think it's so much that people don't trust their thirst but that this insane "Ehmagawd! Drink your water!!!" mantra has become inextricably linked with weight loss so now people think it has something to do with their success/failure.

Oh, I agree with that. I've been in challenges where drinking some insane amount of water was made into a virtue in a way that weirded me out (and I drink water constantly because I always like to have something cold to sip on and, well, because if I don't I'll be drinking coffee instead). And the "does iced tea count?" questions always puzzle me.

To me, though, the urine test is a way of getting people to chill out about this idea that they aren't drinking enough -- to say look, if you had something to worry about, you could see it. It's obviously not that anyone is saying that people need to go pee to see if they should drink. The idea that people would be saying that is insulting.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    maidentl wrote: »

Oh, I agree with that. I've been in challenges where drinking some insane amount of water was made into a virtue in a way that weirded me out (and I drink water constantly because I always like to have something cold to sip on and, well, because if I don't I'll be drinking coffee instead). And the "does iced tea count?" questions always puzzle me.

To me, though, the urine test is a way of getting people to chill out about this idea that they aren't drinking enough -- to say look, if you had something to worry about, you could see it. It's obviously not that anyone is saying that people need to go pee to see if they should drink. The idea that people would be saying that is insulting.

Exactly! I don't "inspect" the toilet every time I go. I occasionally glance in there and just make a mental note if the color is too dark. It's not a burden. :laugh:
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    andympanda wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    andympanda wrote: »
    Their are many factors in weather you drinking too much or too little. Height, weight, how much water you have been loosing due to sweating (exercise or heat related.) best option is speak to a health professional on best amount to drink.

Ask your health professional about water? Why? The color of your urine tells you whether you are properly hydrated or not.

Health professional know more then the internet. They can tell the OP the correct amount to drink. They know the complete medical history.

If you have a special medical condition that requires extra water, sure, that would be appropriate. Otherwise, no, it seems superfluous to discuss water with the doctor. :)
    If a person is under the impression that they need to urinate before figuring out if they should have something to drink, asking the doctor about hydration is an excellent idea. I wouldn't suggest making an appointment for it, but the next time you have a physical, ask.

Also, if they think they need to count or measure water or tent their skin or anything other ridiculous thing people post here that isn't about trusting their thirst...ask the doctor. See if it's okay to trust your thirst.

This water thing has been made so much more complicated than it needs to be.

No one is suggesting that you go to the bathroom before getting a drink/deciding if they should drink something. You are twisting what was said to an absurd statement.

People are saying that you can tell how hydrated you are based on urine color.

Regardless of thirst, if your urine is dark (and you are not on any medication that would alter urine color), you are dehydrated. Saying someone who is dehydrated shouldn't drink fluid because they don't feel thirsty is ridiculous.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I will say this because I just had it done due to starting a new job. clear urine may trigger a flag if you get a drug screening done. ease up on it that day. to the screeners, it's a sign that you are trying to flush illegal things from your system. the place I went had a chart of appropriate urine colors and ones that were flags. fyi. they more you know.

Heh, the one time I had a drug test (I once considered working for a pharmaceutical company and they, for obvious reasons, drug screened) I was super neurotic about accidently ingesting poppy seeds in the week leading up to it. Glad I hadn't known this, or I would have gone crazy trying to not drink too much water! ;-)

I did the same thing. and had lemon poppy mini muffins the day after :wink:
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    My job requires me to be outside everyday. Some days I'm out of the truck for short stints, some days I'm out of the truck all day. I almost always have a bottle of water beside me. on the days that I'm inspecting the paving crew I'll probably drink over a gallon of water and not pee all day. I just drink water until I go to bed to try to be hydrated for the next day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    My medical team asks me to make sure I get enough water because those of us with bariatric surgery have smaller stomachs so can only take in a small amount at a time. It's easier to get dehydrated. My routine if I am not eating, I am drinking.

Excessive thirst and trips to the bathroom could be a sign of diabetes.

Hyponatremia is a thing, but it's a lot of water to force down. The excess was to a tune of two quarts an hour. It's very hard to do.