Loose Skins?

Visha_01
Visha_01 Posts: 17 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So, I am starting my weight loss journey this coming week, and I've been reading a lot from MFP. I'm a good 213.6 lbs, female, 5'5, 22 years young & my goal weight is 130 lbs. My plans are eating clean, 1200 cal a day, jogging alternate with badminton. What concerns me is the LOOSE SKIN. Can someone give me an advice to prevent it or how can I make it better since I haven't started yet? Thanks a lot. Hi to all Filipinos here :)

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Losing slowly helps. Take care of your skin. Hope for the best. Unfortunately, it's the price many of us pay for all the years we abused ourselves.
  • Nikkiekoala
    Nikkiekoala Posts: 18 Member
    Well you have youth on your side. Don't worry about it.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    I started out the same weight as you and I'm down 60 lbs so far and I don't have any loose skin so far except on my stomach. BUT I've given birth to 4 children so my stomach has been stretched to the max many times, I didn't expect to get out of that without loose skin, lol.
  • Visha_01
    Losing slowly helps. Take care of your skin. Hope for the best. Unfortunately, it's the price many of us pay for all the years we abused ourselves.

I couldn't agree more
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Down from 250 to 200 starting around spring 2014. Since I am now 64 I expected my fat jaws/chin skin to flop for the rest of my life. Even before I grew the beard this past January it tighten up nicely on its own and so far no loose skin that shows so that is a good surprise. The beard keeps down comments that I am looking too thin, etc.
  • Visha_01
    I started out the same weight as you and I'm down 60 lbs so far and I don't have any loose skin so far except on my stomach. BUT I've given birth to 4 children so my stomach has been stretched to the max many times, I didn't expect to get out of that without loose skin, lol.

I also gave birth once and my stretchmarks all over the place, my skin is not so elastic
  • Visha_01
    Down from 250 to 200 starting around spring 2014. Since I am now 64 I expected my fat jaws/chin skin to flop for the rest of my life. Even before I grew the beard this past January it tighten up nicely on its own and so far no loose skin that shows so that is a good surprise. The beard keeps down comments that I am looking too thin, etc.

that is so great. I hope the same thing would happen to me too.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Thanks. So want to think low carb eating helps the skin be healthier but I have not yet chased that story down and see if there was any science behind the story.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Seems there isn't a whole lot that can be done. Losing slowly apparently helps, lifting weight, I think this is meant to fill in your skin with some muscles.

But In the end, 50-100 pounds of fat or some loose skin, which would you prefer?
  • Visha_01
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Seems there isn't a whole lot that can be done. Losing slowly apparently helps, lifting weight, I think this is meant to fill in your skin with some muscles.

But In the end, 50-100 pounds of fat or some loose skin, which would you prefer?

Hahahaha, I'll take loose skins!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited August 2015

Aw, I don't like thinking of it that way. Everyone's got their reasons, whether it was lack of knowledge (because it's not like there isn't a lot of misinformation out there. Just as many hucksters want to make money off bad diets as food manufacturers/restaurateurs do weight gain. Living by default in our society promotes obesity, you have to work for it to NOT happen. People come here and learn stuff and it's a revelation), familial habits that are hard to shake, challenging life circumstances, health issues, having a baby...

I don't think it's necessary to add self-blame to this process. It's empowering to take control of it, though, and that's what we're all doing.

There might be a little legacy of that history, true, and it's disappointing to think about loose skin as a reminder of it, but I think it's better to try to focus on the positive outcomes. Like that quote that gets used in therapy for alcohol addiction goes, strive for "the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

and there are some things that can be done about it, if it comes to it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »

Aw, I don't like thinking of it that way. Everyone's got their reasons, whether it was lack of knowledge (because it's not like there isn't a lot of misinformation out there. Just as many hucksters want to make money off bad diets as food manufacturers/restaurateurs do weight gain. Living by default in our society promotes obesity, you have to work for it to NOT happen. People come here and learn stuff and it's a revelation), familial habits that are hard to shake, challenging life circumstances, health issues, having a baby...

I don't think it's necessary to add self-blame to this process. It's empowering to take control of it, though, and that's what we're all doing.

There might be a little legacy of that history, true, and it's disappointing to think about loose skin as a reminder of it, but I think it's better to try to focus on the positive outcomes. Like that quote that gets used in therapy for alcohol addiction goes, strive for "the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Just because we didn't understand it when we were doing it, that doesn't mean we weren't doing it. We can't blame society, genetics, access to food, technology, etc. for something that was within our control the entire time, even though we didn't realize it. I didn't mean it as self-hate or self-shame. It's the most freeing thing in the world to admit that you have control over yourself and your body. It's a good thing.

• whiteblossom14
    whiteblossom14 Posts: 240 Member
    Visha_01 wrote: »
    So, I am starting my weight loss journey this coming week, and I've been reading a lot from MFP. I'm a good 213.6 lbs, female, 5'5, 22 years young & my goal weight is 130 lbs. My plans are eating clean, 1200 cal a day, jogging alternate with badminton. What concerns me is the LOOSE SKIN. Can someone give me an advice to prevent it or how can I make it better since I haven't started yet? Thanks a lot. Hi to all Filipinos here :)

Loose skin tends to happen if you don't exercise while losing weight. So don't think you will have a problem x
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    It's partially genetics and age, but not losing weight too fast, strength training or bodyweight routines while you lose weight, and eating adequate protein should help. I believe other posters have said they'd been at their goal weight for a while before their skin finished tightening up.

http://vitals.lifehacker.com/how-to-minimize-loose-skin-during-weight-loss-1696145766
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Just because we didn't understand it when we were doing it, that doesn't mean we weren't doing it. We can't blame society, genetics, access to food, technology, etc. for something that was within our control the entire time, even though we didn't realize it. I didn't mean it as self-hate or self-shame. It's the most freeing thing in the world to admit that you have control over yourself and your body. It's a good thing.

You are absolutely correct, the only one responsible for ones being overweight is thee self.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited August 2015
    tomatoey wrote: »

Yes, I know, I have felt the same way. It's wonderful to be able to take control over it. But the reality is that control wasn't there before, and some or all of those things played a role for most.

When people DO get into self blame, and not only that, but attach that to a way of perceiving things like loose skin or stretch marks that are just not going anywhere, I think that's negative & counterproductive
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    I'm down 106 lbs and I'm 28. Losing slowly has definitely helped, but my stomach is still a mess lol! I feel like the benefits of losing far outweigh the loose skin. I look way better now with loose skin than I did 106 lbs ago ;)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    They say that losing slowly helps. I don't know if that's true or not. I do know that losing slowly is no guarantee that you won't end up with loose skin.

You're really young. Young people have more elastin, so there's a good chance that your skin will bounce back.

Even if you end up with some loose skin, you'll be healthier! And you'll look better, too.

Try not to worry about it until it's a thing, because it might not become a thing. :)