isagenix

Options

Replies

• sparkernew22
    sparkernew22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Myself and 3 of my friends went on isagenics. I lost 20 lbs in a year. I loved the program especially the chocolate snack. The problem was we had to sell the product to be able to afford it. Eventually we couldn't afford it. All of us have gained our weight back and then some.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Myself and 3 of my friends went on isagenics. I lost 20 lbs in a year. I loved the program especially the chocolate snack. The problem was we had to sell the product to be able to afford it. Eventually we couldn't afford it. All of us have gained our weight back and then some.

must be eating too much, that's the only way to gain weight.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I've been using the chocolate shake mix off and on for more than ten years; never did the total plan. On the plus side, purely on the merits of using it as a protein shake, you'd be hard pressed to find a mix with the protein/fiber/amino acid combination that it has, plus it doesn't taste too awful once you've gotten used to it. (Incidentally, I also used to drink the chicken soup mix when I was pregnant with my first child: it's not bad either.)

The negative side is, it's damn expensive. Since I've started on MFP, I've been experimenting with different ingredients/mixes to replace it. So far, I've concluded that you're going to give up something: hemp protein actually is better than the Isagenix mix nutrition-wise, but it's gritty. Unflavored whey protein is very smooth, but you don't get all the amino acids and nutrients.

So, if you have the cash to spend, the shake isn't a bad supplement, but I don't, so I keep researching.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    I've been using the chocolate shake mix off and on for more than ten years; never did the total plan. On the plus side, purely on the merits of using it as a protein shake, you'd be hard pressed to find a mix with the protein/fiber/amino acid combination that it has, plus it doesn't taste too awful once you've gotten used to it. (Incidentally, I also used to drink the chicken soup mix when I was pregnant with my first child: it's not bad either.)

The negative side is, it's damn expensive. Since I've started on MFP, I've been experimenting with different ingredients/mixes to replace it. So far, I've concluded that you're going to give up something: hemp protein actually is better than the Isagenix mix nutrition-wise, but it's gritty. Unflavored whey protein is very smooth, but you don't get all the amino acids and nutrients.

So, if you have the cash to spend, the shake isn't a bad supplement, but I don't, so I keep researching.

You could take a protein shake with a multivitamin and get better nutrition, no?
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    mbeardo wrote: »
    If it were a scam I don't think they would still be in business.

Of course they would because people are always looking for the easy way and quick fix!
  • oocdc2
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hornsby wrote: »

You could take a protein shake with a multivitamin and get better nutrition, no?

Y'know, the short answer is...probably? But that's part of the researching I'm doing--the shake mix does have a rich amount of amino acids, and not all protein mixes have that. Again, hemp protein comes the closest, but it's like drinking delicious sand...

• SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I've lost 25 pounds in three months, and I'd never heard of this thing before I saw this thread. I'd say my method kicks the crap out of Isagenix.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was using Isagenix for a short time, intending to use it for more of a protein shake because I liked the breakdown of the macros. I started using more and more of their products over time and it was helping a little with weight loss since I would replace more calorie dense snacks with theirs. Then I find out trying to donate blood one day that there is no iron in any of their products and I had become anemic again. I had to stop using the products for that reason. To each their own. I have friends who use it as supplements and they are fit and strong.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Y'know, the short answer is...probably? But that's part of the researching I'm doing--the shake mix does have a rich amount of amino acids, and not all protein mixes have that. Again, hemp protein comes the closest, but it's like drinking delicious sand...

What are you considering a rich mix of essential amino acids?

Also, for multivitamin, look at the naturemade one. It's backed by the USP which actual validate that you are getting what the bottle suggest it actually has.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options

There's only one drinkable meal replacement worth the time: Wine.

lol.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    On the plus side, purely on the merits of using it as a protein shake, you'd be hard pressed to find a mix with the protein/fiber/amino acid combination that it has, plus it doesn't taste too awful once you've gotten used to it.

LOL, BB coaches use this exact same line to sell their garbage.

All these MLM companies are the same. You can get much better nutrition elsewhere for much cheaper. Starting with actual food.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Many much more affordable protein mixes do have that, as well as more affordable supplements. Why choke down a shake that you don't much like and costs so much when there are much more affordable alternatives?
  • oocdc2
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Many much more affordable protein mixes do have that, as well as more affordable supplements. Why choke down a shake that you don't much like and costs so much when there are much more affordable alternatives?

It sounds like you may have some specific suggestions--what do you have for me? :smiley:
  • mccindy72
    Options

It sounds like you may have some specific suggestions--what do you have for me? :smiley:

Personally, I don't drink shakes to replace meals, but I use protein powder in things, and after doing research on nutritional values, I settled on Muscle Milk. It's gluten and lactose free (which is vital for me), and nutritionally pretty sound. As a shake it's higher in calories than some of the other mixes, but I don't use full servings of it. Flavor wise, it's pretty good.
  • tamiandtoto
    tamiandtoto Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is what I don't get... if this stuff is amazing as they claim it is you would think that it would be sold anywhere and everywhere, but instead I have to go to my second cousin's wife's sister to buy it.
  • oocdc2
    Options

Personally, I don't drink shakes to replace meals, but I use protein powder in things, and after doing research on nutritional values, I settled on Muscle Milk. It's gluten and lactose free (which is vital for me), and nutritionally pretty sound. As a shake it's higher in calories than some of the other mixes, but I don't use full servings of it. Flavor wise, it's pretty good.

Thank you! I'll check that out. :smile:
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

This is exactly how they're still in business.
  • amandadesch
    amandadesch Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A good friend who is otherwise a very normal, rational financially savvy person has been hooked on Isagenix for 2 years. I cannot stand to be around this person anymore and that is really sad because we were such great friends and he is very intelligent. Despite his intelligence, he has turned into a walking Isagenix commercial that turns every single conversation into their products. You can't talk about anything else.

He has lost 80 pounds and is in the best shape of his life at 45, easily. He has literally exchanged every single meal and snack for an Isagenix product. He has Isa coffee, Isa shakes, Isa brownies, Isa cookies, Isa energy shots. He ate a BBQ pork chop and corn on the cob on the weekend and mentioned on Facebook that it was the first unhealthy thing he ate in about 10 days. What he means is that it was the first time he ate food in 10 days.

He spent thousands on his trip to their convention in San Diego a few weeks ago, but will make a rambling FB post about how amazing "his company" is and how good they treat him when they sent him a free t-shirt. When all his "Isa friends" whom he has never met comment on his posts it's like watching a crazy cult.

He has spent hundreds on ads and different ways to market it and has clients from all over the world. He is apparently able to make a living off this as he is considering closing his very successful small business that he was, up until last year, very passionate about, to sell Isagenix full time. The whole thing is the most bizarre thing I have ever seen in my life and is terrifying.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    A good friend who is otherwise a very normal, rational financially savvy person has been hooked on Isagenix for 2 years. I cannot stand to be around this person anymore and that is really sad because we were such great friends and he is very intelligent. Despite his intelligence, he has turned into a walking Isagenix commercial that turns every single conversation into their products. You can't talk about anything else.

He has lost 80 pounds and is in the best shape of his life at 45, easily. He has literally exchanged every single meal and snack for an Isagenix product. He has Isa coffee, Isa shakes, Isa brownies, Isa cookies, Isa energy shots. He ate a BBQ pork chop and corn on the cob on the weekend and mentioned on Facebook that it was the first unhealthy thing he ate in about 10 days. What he means is that it was the first time he ate food in 10 days.

He spent thousands on his trip to their convention in San Diego a few weeks ago, but will make a rambling FB post about how amazing "his company" is and how good they treat him when they sent him a free t-shirt. When all his "Isa friends" whom he has never met comment on his posts it's like watching a crazy cult.

He has spent hundreds on ads and different ways to market it and has clients from all over the world. He is apparently able to make a living off this as he is considering closing his very successful small business that he was, up until last year, very passionate about, to sell Isagenix full time. The whole thing is the most bizarre thing I have ever seen in my life and is terrifying.

:s
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else ever used isagenix to help then lose weight? I started on shakes about two weeks ago and have lost 6.4 pounds since!

My friend sells this stuff and I don't buy it. He has been selling it for years and he is not a thin man, so I take it with a grain of salt. There is nothing that program does for you that you can't do yourself with a bit of meal planning and a food scale.

I am down 22 lbs in three months on my own. I do have protein powder and bars, but mostly so I get enough protein on the days that work is crazy and I can't get away from my desk for lunch or I work well past the end of my day and need dinner at my desk. There is nothing wrong with using supplements or prepackaged meals in a pinch, but it is awfully expensive to do that most of the time.