Food you don't bother logging

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I don't log coffee but do log the milk and sugar in it because I do have a large mug. I didn't used to but as I lose my margins will become tighter so getting into the habit now. I don't log dry spices but do marinades or sauces. I don't log cordial. I do log vitamins but nor my micros, there's no calories in them.

Not much I don't log. Oh if it's a taste of something I don't log it, I always try to leave a bit of buffer so as not to worry about those little bits here and there.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Oh yes, I allow myself a cup of skimmed milk per day for my coffee.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Tea coffee spices...except cinnamon, that has calories if you use a lot
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    I don't log spices. I do tend to log mustard, lettuce and tomato on sandwiches, though I don't weigh them. For that matter, I don't weigh most veggies anymore. I have a pretty good idea how much broccoli or green beans or asparagus I've got on my plate and it's just not going to matter if I've got 17 calories or 20 calories.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    I log everything but sometimes I may just stick those extra calories in something else because i don't feel like making a new entry.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Sometimes I won't log like a celery stalk or even like a quarter of a cucumber since it's so low. I don't log coffee if it's like 5 cal, but I log the milk or cream in it, etc. And like most others here- I don't log 0 cal chewing gum, cooking spray, spices in food, vitamin supplements. I am aware some vitamins like fish oil have like 10 cal for the serving, I just keep that in mind.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I don't always log herbs/spices from jars, but do log condiments like ketchup, all foods and gum.

Exception: I log my garlic by the clove. I don't weigh garlic.
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    I don't measure the milk in my coffee as others have said, but have consciously overestimated to account for inaccuracies. Don't log chewing gum, tea (only because I only have herbal teas that have pretty much no calories), chewing gum, diet coke, any vitamin supplements and the very rare taste of a couple chips or a spoonful of my husband's meal.
    However, I walk at least 40 minutes daily to work and on gym days I walk 90 minutes (to and from work and gym), which I do not log to account for inaccuracies (even though I weigh everything). I like not having to worry about logging the occasional taste of something.
  • I don't log diet soda unless it's the 10 calorie variety. I do log gum and mints. I always log any tastes of food to the best of my ability, but to be honest, I just don't taste food from my husband's plate anymore. I don't log yellow mustard unless I use a lot. I do log cooking spray. I log Splenda if I use more than one packet. I don't log spices. All vegetables, even leafy ones and things like cucumbers and pickles, get weighed and logged.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I don't log my morning coffee (I drink it black), Diet Pepsi, or any seasonings and spices I use. I have thought about logging the pop and seasonings just to get an idea of the sodium, but I just make a mental note of it.
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    In the beginning I logged 'pinch of salt' :smiley:
    I don't log squash as I don't drink much and would just not drink anything if I had to log it.
    I try to avoid 'tastes' now and ask my family to scrape their plates when they've finished, they used to just give me their leavings :open_mouth:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Herbs, spices, coffee (I drink it black), tea. Sometimes I log garlic, sometimes I don't -- no real reason. Lately I've been lazy about stuff like mustard and vinegar and sriracha and have been doing a quick add of 20 calories to more than cover what I used (for example when making a dressing or marinade -- although I always log olive oil if I use it, of course).

Basically, the pattern is I don't log things that have very few calories and that I don't need a record of. I log greens (even when they are 5 calories) because I like a record of the vegetables I've eaten. Stuff like herbs and spices are reasonably consistent so won't be a difference in a day, and aren't something I feel compelled to have a record of. Coffee I should log based on this reasoning, but I just don't feel like it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited August 2015
    I don't log black coffee, 0 calorie stuff, and spices (because I have no idea how many calories there are in those, except cinnamon, so I log that one).

I log mustard (the one I use is 10 calories for 10g), my daily vitamins, condiments, heck even the '0 calorie' oil sprays I often end up logging half a teaspoon because I'm just skeptical that it's really 0 calories when I see it in my pan.

I'd log more things probably if I cares about tracking sodium but I don't.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    I don't log anything 0 calories (spices, black coffee, black tea, diet coke). I just don't see the point.

Every once in a while I'll have a piece of chocolate that I don't log (like a 40 calorie dove chocolate square or a few m&m's, not a full hershey's bar or anything). But I've been really diligent about it lately.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Spices, herbs, diet soda...the common stuff that a lot of people don't log. If I put a piece of lettuce on a sandwich or some dill pickles, I usually don't log that, either.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Gum (though I chew so much I probably should), diet soda/seltzer, cinnamon.

I do eat a couple of "zero" calorie things and I find ways to log them, usually at 5 calories per serving. May sound dumb but I eat a lot of little 10-20 calorie things and they add up at the end of the day/week.

• whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Coffee (I do log the milk I use, but not the coffee itself)
    Gum
    Mints
    Diet soda
    spices
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    I don't log...

-Vitamin and mineral supplements. I know how many calories are there, but I absolutely cannot avoid them. I also can't choose a vitamin or supplement with fewer calories, so I ignore them. They're so few that they alone fall within the margin of error of some of the foods I have to weigh to eat. Besides, vits make me He-Man. Ok, She-Ra, but even She-Ra can't do anything about the extra cals.

-Herbs and seasonings. They simply don't have enough cals for me to worry about. I tracked my herb use for two weeks of typical cooking and the total was less than 100 cals for 14 days. Again, well within the margin of error of my daily food weighs. If I eat a pound of the stuff, I'll log it. I'll also be calling my psychiatrist.

-Beverages that have essentially zero calories like tea and coffee. (Starbucks tall skinny vanilla lattes are logged exactly as that). If I add cream to coffee or tea, I log both pieces just so I know why I had that cream. Maybe one day I'll lose my mind and chug 1oz of heavy cream. I don't know, but it could happen. By logging both pieces, I'll be able to see the cream-only log entry and pinpoint the day I lost all the cheese on my cracker.

I log everything else, including condiments, tastes from hubby's plate, and ZOMG! the samples at the grocery store. I don't log all the times I end up swallowing dog or cat fur, but I'm pretty sure those are low cal enough I'm ok.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    I don't log coffee or the splash of milk I add to it. I don't log most condiments or seasonings unless they have substantial (more than 20 or so) calories, or I know they have a high sodium content because I try to keep an eye on sodium. I guess generally I don't log anything with nominal calories (diet soda, cooking spray, sf gum, etc.)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Not that I'd log vitamins, but it's not really a question of whether those calories are avoidable, it's a question of crowding out calories that are avoidable. Yes, I get that it's not many calories, it's more the logic of it.