Diet pills

Options
is anyone on her using diet pills to help lose weight. If so what kind?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    No. Most are just snake oil and do absolutely nothing for weight loss. They are not needed.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Diet pills don't cause weight loss. They are money-makers for people who want a quick fix. Very few, if any, are safe to take and none are regulated by the FDA.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You're not going to find support on this site for diet aides. This is a calorie counting app so the website is our aide. It works as long as you stick to it. Give it a try.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    No diet pills just a calorie deficit will give you success. Diet pills teach you nothing on how to eat the rest of your life.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you are speaking of the ones you can purchase at the drug store, walmart etc, read the side of the box. All will say something along the lines of "use with a calorie controlled diet". Its the calorie control that contributes to weight loss, NOT the pill.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    No. Most are just snake oil and do absolutely nothing for weight loss. They are not needed.

^^. This. Also unregulated by the FDA and do not contain many of the ingredients they claim. Save your money.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Diet pills can be dangerous. The over the counter ones are basically a mild form of amphetamine. They can make your heart race a mile a minute and even sometimes disrupt normal cardiac function.

See a doctor about appetite suppressent pills and whether they make sense for you until you can develop a healthy diet routine. But the best way is just to learn how to eat healthy, recognize the difference between being hungry and craving, and learn how to control cravings and mindless/emotional eating.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Nope. Nope nope nope nope nope.

More detailed answers above. But nope. Never.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    True story....

Back in the day there was cold medicine whose side effect was lack of appetite (Contac w/ HCL). Whallah! Diet pills were born (Dexatrim, Accutrim). These now have different formulas.

The problem with these "diet pills" was, they were not tested as such (just slap a different label on them). Dieters found that the lack of appetite disappeared after several days. The brain figures out how to make this side effect go away. Dexatrim & Accutrim were rendered useless.

My point is without regulation of these "supplements"......you don't really know what you are paying for.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The OTC pills that work are always pulled off the market because they're dangerous. Dangerous like land-you-in-the hospital or kill you dangerous. The ones that aren't pulled don't help. Neither one is something anyone with any sense needs to be taking.

I am able to lose without prescription drugs and am not a fan of taking anything I don't absolutely have to take, so I never tried those. If you absolutely cannot lose weight, you should see a doctor about why you cannot lose and ask about them.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    9968122_orig.jpg
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    scams that's all they are. drink lots of green tea during the day

Lmao so you say "pills are scams" and then say "drink loads of green tea during the day"

I'm not sure if you're srs

Lmao MFP y u so funny

• atomiccrisis
    atomiccrisis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would highly reccomend staying away from diet pills. When I first started losing weight about seven months ago, my cousin convinced me to give a dieting supplement that she had bought at Wal-Mart a try to jump start my journey. In the few days after I started taking them, I honestly felt like I was losing more weight. I felt like I could workout for twice as long and I didn't feel like snacking as often. But after a few weeks, I started feeling really sick. Dizzy and faint with a constant headache. I couldn't seem to drink water without throwing up but I felt super parched. I ended up needing to go to the hospital where I was informed that I was highly dehydrated and low on several essential vitamins as well as iron deficient(this last one is not really unusual for a woman my age who is a vegetarian.) But anyways, I was informed I was ingesting way too much caffeine and that I needed to eat/drink in a more healthy manner. I had to stay almost a week to get back on track. When I checked the ingredient list on the pills, I realized they were basically a HUGE dose of caffeine that wasn't really healthy to take when on a strict diet and excerising for hours a day.

TL;DR from personal experience and then more research, I learned most diet pills are just huge uppers that are needlessly hard on your body and not a healthy way to lose weight unless you like brittle hair, lose skin, being lightheaded, and constant pain. 0/10 would not reccomend.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »

Lmao so you say "pills are scams" and then say "drink loads of green tea during the day"

Lmao MFP y u so funny
    TrollTroll

guys do u wana do a master cleanse with me? xx

really jump starts weight loss!!!

No thanks I'll just stick with my clean foods.

This is the best master cleanse there is. I heavily advise that everyone on MFP tries this and buys it. It completely detoxify's your system by removing every single toxin held within your cells. THESE ARE THE TOXINS THAT THE GOVERNMENT WANT YOU TO EAT SO U KEEP GOING BACK TO THE DOCTOR!!!!
    You can't be serious?

• jennylynn0505
    jennylynn0505 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    levie27 wrote: »
    is anyone on her using diet pills to help lose weight. If so what kind?

Phentermine, it's prescription drug appetite suppresent, it's working great for me. I still feel hungry sometimes. It mostly helps me feel full faster, stops me from over eating and keeps me in my calorie range. I have to meet with my doctor once a month while taking it. It's been around since the 30's or 40's, and it's regulated.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Lmao MFP y u so funny
    TrollTroll

This is the best master cleanse there is. I heavily advise that everyone on MFP tries this and buys it. It completely detoxify's your system by removing every single toxin held within your cells. THESE ARE THE TOXINS THAT THE GOVERNMENT WANT YOU TO EAT SO U KEEP GOING BACK TO THE DOCTOR!!!!
    You can't be serious?

They aren't serious. Diet pills rank right up there with "cleanses."
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

Lmao MFP y u so funny
    TrollTroll

You can't be serious?

Of course not lol.

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I tried diet pills once last year, Alli... did they work? Sure, I was too scared too break wind and kept running to the bathroom every 5 minutes to make sure I had not had an accident (the side effects were interesting). Between not eating much and the extra exercise, it worked wonders. Any food with fat in it, made me panic, never eaten so much salad in my life.

Moral of the story: If diet pills really worked like in the ads, we would not be here to lose weight, but only getting exercise advice to buff up our perfect bodies..
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    The OTC pills that work are always pulled off the market because they're dangerous. Dangerous like land-you-in-the hospital or kill you dangerous. The ones that aren't pulled don't help. Neither one is something anyone with any sense needs to be taking.

I am able to lose without prescription drugs and am not a fan of taking anything I don't absolutely have to take, so I never tried those. If you absolutely cannot lose weight, you should see a doctor about why you cannot lose and ask about them.

It's rare that I agree with something you say but you hit the nail on the head here.
    It's common sense, a pill that makes you lose weight would have to severely alter your metabolism either on the side of calories in or calories out, both pretty dangerous.