Body building - What are your macros??

Options
I'm somewhat of an ectomorph (trying to make gains) and I've got my macros set to 50-30-20.
That's 200 carbs, 120 protein, and 36 fats for me.

The problem is, I seem to be keeping belly fat.

What are your goals? What
do you have your macros set to and have you been having success?

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You should forget the idea of ectomorphs, that stuff was made up in the 40s by someone with no education on physiology or nutrition for a completely different goal.

What are your stats? Height/weight etc.?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You should forget the idea of ectomorphs, that stuff was made up in the 40s by someone with no education on physiology or nutrition for a completely different goal.

What are your stats? Height/weight etc.?

To add onto what @stevencloser said, what are your goals too... weight loss or adding mass? And no you can't really do both at the same time.

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    I can tell you right now that 36 grams of fat is far too low (even for a 100 lb. female) and quite unsafe if followed long-term.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    oceansmoke wrote: »
    I'm somewhat of an ectomorph (trying to make gains) and I've got my macros set to 50-30-20.
    That's 200 carbs, 120 protein, and 36 fats for me.

The problem is, I seem to be keeping belly fat.

What are your goals? What
    do you have your macros set to and have you been having success?

Adding to other posters: Should you choose you want to reduce fat, you can't specifically spot reduce fat anywhere. That is the Dr. Oz equivalent of broscience. Your genetics pick where you are going to store fat. The only way to loose belly fat is to loose fat in general and hope it comes from there. Eventually it will the lower you get. If you are looking for something like visible, individual ab defintion, this happens roughly sub 20% bodyfat for women (sub 15% for guys):

tumblr_mnhmx2yUhd1st8bpmo1_1280-232x300.jpg

We definitely need your age/height/weight to help any further as far as helping you set a TDEE and getting your minimums figured out. If you have a body fat caliper, getting a rough bf% measurement can also help you set a more accurate TDEE (you can use the more accurate Katch-McArdle formula instead of the Mifflin- St Jeor).
  • oceansmoke
    oceansmoke Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, thanks for the responses. As far as stats go I'm 5'6 and I currently weigh 118. My BFP was 14% last I had it checked (about 2 months ago) but I definitely still have a layer of fat on my stomach.

My goal is to gain mass
  • oceansmoke
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    I can tell you right now that 36 grams of fat is far too low (even for a 100 lb. female) and quite unsafe if followed long-term.

I have been hearing so many mixed things about fats. Would y
  • oceansmoke
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »

I have been hearing so many mixed things about fats. Would y

Sorry I hit send too soon.

Would you suggest lowering carbs and raising fats?
  • psuLemon
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If your goal is to gain mass, I struggle to see how you are going to do it at 1604 calories. The average women I know who is bulking up is eating another 800 calories.

Do you know your true maintenance calories? Also, are you already lifting (if so, which program and how long)?

And it's not uncommon to be a bit underweight and still have stomach issues. It's actually a fairly typical problem I see around here. IMO, it's mainly due to the lack of muscle mass.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Would you suggest lowering carbs and raising fats?

I would suggest getting a minimum of 0.40 grams dietary fat per 1 lb. bodyweight (more if maintaining or bulking). Dietary fat is crucial to hormone health, reproductive health (especially in women), hair, skin, nails, brain health/mood, etc.
  • oceansmoke
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    If your goal is to gain mass, I struggle to see how you are going to do it at 1604 calories. The average women I know who is bulking up is eating another 800 calories.

Do you know your true maintenance calories? Also, are you already lifting (if so, which program and how long)?

And it's not uncommon to be a bit underweight and still have stomach issues. It's actually a fairly typical problem I see around here. IMO, it's mainly due to the lack of muscle mass.

I have to say that I agree with you completely but for whatever reason, I begin to gain weight around 1,800 calories despite working in a restaurant and lifting 5 times a week. I was putting on the most mass at 1,800 cals but I was also getting a lot of belly fat. :/

I'm not following any specific program, just increasing weight and pushing as hard as possible.

Are there any that you suggest?
  • oceansmoke
    Options
    Yeah, it's making a lot of sense now why my mood has suffered since I have cut my fats down. Thanks for responding.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I have to say that I agree with you completely but for whatever reason, I begin to gain weight around 1,800 calories despite working in a restaurant and lifting 5 times a week. I was putting on the most mass at 1,800 cals but I was also getting a lot of belly fat. :/

I'm not following any specific program, just increasing weight and pushing as hard as possible.

Having a structured program will provide much greater results than just going to do random stuff. Look at strong curves.

Also, realize that when you gain muscle, you will also gain fat. Its inevitable. And for women its about 75% fat 25% muscle (thank you lack of testosterone).

Personally, I would set you at maintenance for a few months while you get started on a structured program like Strong Curves. After you start to plateau in terms of strength gains, add 250 calories over your TDEE for about 12-20 weeks. And then cycle back to a cut.

Also, while you are at maintenance, read Bulking – A Complete Guide For Beginners a few times to get familiar. Also, spend time in the bulking forums (I am going to move this thread in there) so you can familiarize yourself with the concept and understand all the nutrition aspects.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, thanks for the responses. As far as stats go I'm 5'6 and I currently weigh 118. My BFP was 14% last I had it checked (about 2 months ago) but I definitely still have a layer of fat on my stomach.

My goal is to gain mass

how did you measure your body fat? 14% is extremely low for a female, and at that level you should not have a "layer of fat" on your stomach....
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    HOw was your body fat measured? Tanita machine?
  • oceansmoke
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

My goal is to gain mass

how did you measure your body fat? 14% is extremely low for a female, and at that level you should not have a "layer of fat" on your stomach....

I had it measured professionally. I'm not sure which device they used though. I had to hold my arms out straight and hold onto this device. It's tough for me to explain...I'm a very thin and lean person. It's almost as though the only part of my body that stores fat is my belly but I'm not round by any means.

• oceansmoke
    Options

Having a structured program will provide much greater results than just going to do random stuff. Look at strong curves.

Also, realize that when you gain muscle, you will also gain fat. Its inevitable. And for women its about 75% fat 25% muscle (thank you lack of testosterone).

Personally, I would set you at maintenance for a few months while you get started on a structured program like Strong Curves. After you start to plateau in terms of strength gains, add 250 calories over your TDEE for about 12-20 weeks. And then cycle back to a cut.

Also, while you are at maintenance, read Bulking – A Complete Guide For Beginners a few times to get familiar. Also, spend time in the bulking forums (I am going to move this thread in there) so you can familiarize yourself with the concept and understand all the nutrition aspects.

Wow, okay I will do that. Thank you so much for all of your help!

Seriously :)
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You are asking BBs what their MACROs are...so are you or do you plan on competing? Some of my female friend's compete at not much less than 14%, so that's actually pretty good.
  • oceansmoke
    Options
    You are asking BBs what their MACROs are...so are you or do you plan on competing? Some of my female friend's compete at not much less than 14%, so that's actually pretty good.

I know that this won't make sense to some people but I don't necessarily plan on competing but I want to be in competition shape. So ideally, I'd like to keep my bf at 14-15%.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

My goal is to gain mass

I had it measured professionally. I'm not sure which device they used though. I had to hold my arms out straight and hold onto this device. It's tough for me to explain...I'm a very thin and lean person. It's almost as though the only part of my body that stores fat is my belly but I'm not round by any means.

Sounds like an electrical impedance test. Those are notoriously inaccurate, like in the range of +/- 10% depending on your hydration. That is pretty lousy accuracy.

The only true methods for accurate measurement require a BodPod, DEXAscan, or hydrostatic weighting, and even those are only accurate to about 1%. BodPod is fairly cheap if you really want one done, I did one in January to get a baseline measurement before I started a cut. Was like $40.

Calipers can get you in the 4-5% accuracy ballpark, but obviously a lot cheaper than a one-time professional measurement.

Hydrostatic weighting is probably the best method, but you gotta lie super still in a pool of water with an air mask for an extended period, so not exactly a pleasant test.

DEXAscans are primarily used for measuring bone density (they shoot x-rays through your body, not terribly healthy). They can also be used for tissue measurements, but likely only people with serious medical needs (morbid obesity) will get this since it is legit medical equipment and expensive to use.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options

I know that this won't make sense to some people but I don't necessarily plan on competing but I want to be in competition shape. So ideally, I'd like to keep my bf at 14-15%.

Just a note, competition shape - as in the actually body that steps on stage - isn't something that is maintained year round. So if that's what you're comparing your belly fat to, it's not really a good comparison because they don't stay at the level of lean.

The link posted about bulking will be a really good post for you to read and decide if that's what you want to do. You will gain fat. Muscle gain and fat gain go hand in hand. The other option is recomposition (thread is in the maintenance section). But be aware that it's a much longer process than bulking and cutting. But would be a good situation if a little fat gain makes you uncomfortable.