"Clean" Bulking Buddy! (girl preferably?)

Options
Hey!

So, I'm seriously struggling with my "clean" bulk. Firstly, it should be noted that I am a recovering anorexic (kicking *kitten* though, seriously - but in a serious plateau the last two years or so. I am at a health-ish weight (need to gain 5kg) and have been working out to build muscle and get strong. I LOVE getting strong, I actually DON'T want to be "skinny" anymore - which is a huge milestone for me (or anybody out there who has ever struggled with any eating disorder, you know that this is a big thing). I am under the care of professionals, but now things really are down to me, and my decisions. I have a personal trainer who has me on a very good weight training programme (4 day split). I AM doing well with this.

However - food for me is still a serious issue, hence why the calorie excess and bulking is so difficult. I KNOW that in order to gain muscle - you need to gain weight. I think I may have burned some fat in the last few months as my weight has stayed the same but I have gained some serious (visible!) muscle. I am now at a stage where I need to up the game and I just can't seem to do it. I plan my food or my meal plans for the day and NEVER stick to it. I end up having a measly breakfast and lunch, a large dinner and one snack. I eat the majority of my calories at night (NOT in a binge, it's a controlled anorexia bad habit I picked up in my bad days). I want to incorporate more snacks into my diet, larger lunches and breakfasts and still a large enough dinner as this is when I am hungriest and I also have the calories to take in! But I have been failing at that. I need to eat about 2300/day to gain .25 kg a week. I've been hitting about 2100/day and haven't gained. When I calculated my maintenance calories of 2000, this was when I was working out so now I don't take into account the daily exercise and "calories earned" from daily exercise. Im aiming to just hit 2300/day at least for the moment, then up things when I get that down.

I feel that I could really benefit from a bulking buddy - someone to talk with about the struggles, ideas, ways to feel GOOD about eating the calories rather than scared. I think it's a bit of a mental block and I would just love some support!
Also - I know there are a lot of people on this site with eating disorder histories. While I support you all so much - I feel that when two recovering anorexics try and help each other, it usually ends badly. So maybe somebody who is fully recovered or someone who has NO history with an eating disorder could really help?

If you want a bulking buddy, feel like helping a girl out and getting stronger - message me and lets see how we do!

Thanks! xxxx

Replies

• kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

First of all congratulations on your ongoing recovery and your progress so far! :)

I'm also trying to gain weight for medical reasons. I don't have and haven't had an eating disorder but after having my little boy I dropped from 145lb to 109lb in 6 months. I'm 5'4" and currently 112lbs so I'm gaining a bit slowly. Aiming for 115-120lbs so not trying to gain loads, just want to get my hormones back on track (periods have stopped and I want to try for another baby).

I try to eat clean most of the time, I do have the odd day "off" where I eat whatever as long as I don't eat way to much. Have plenty of clean recipes though which I have tried and tested and would be happy to share. I would say try to eat clean where you can but don't stress about it too much. There's nothing worse than being in social situations and feeling like you can't /won't eat anything because it's got processed stuff in... This can only lead to further disordered eating patterns.

In terms of snacks, I love Greek yogurt with pecans and honey (about 200 cal), also medjool dates chopped in half and pitted with almond butter spread on them are delicious. I make a peanut butter brownie cake and each small slice is 200 cal (or large 400 cal approx) which is full of clean ingredients. I also buy fruit and nut bars from a brand called Nakd (literally just made from fruit and nuts and nothing else), they are delicious they do a bakewell bar which tastes just like a bakewell cake! (Can you tell I have a sweet tooth!??)

Feel free to add me if you want a buddy and think I could help. I won't be filling in my diary as much then next week or so as I'm off on holiday, but other than that I do tend to log in daily :)

Kirsten xx
  • kirstens1984
    Options
    What is a clean bulk?

I've never understood this.
    Hi there,

First of all congratulations on your ongoing recovery and your progress so far! :)

I'm also trying to gain weight for medical reasons. I don't have and haven't had an eating disorder but after having my little boy I dropped from 145lb to 109lb in 6 months. I'm 5'4" and currently 112lbs so I'm gaining a bit slowly. Aiming for 115-120lbs so not trying to gain loads, just want to get my hormones back on track (periods have stopped and I want to try for another baby).

I try to eat clean most of the time, I do have the odd day "off" where I eat whatever as long as I don't eat way to much. Have plenty of clean recipes though which I have tried and tested and would be happy to share. I would say try to eat clean where you can but don't stress about it too much. There's nothing worse than being in social situations and feeling like you can't /won't eat anything because it's got processed stuff in... This can only lead to further disordered eating patterns.

In terms of snacks, I love Greek yogurt with pecans and honey (about 200 cal), also medjool dates chopped in half and pitted with almond butter spread on them are delicious. I make a peanut butter brownie cake and each small slice is 200 cal (or large 400 cal approx) which is full of clean ingredients. I also buy fruit and nut bars from a brand called Nakd (literally just made from fruit and nuts and nothing else), they are delicious they do a bakewell bar which tastes just like a bakewell cake! (Can you tell I have a sweet tooth!??)

Feel free to add me if you want a buddy and think I could help. I won't be filling in my diary as much then next week or so as I'm off on holiday, but other than that I do tend to log in daily :)

Kirsten xx

What makes a food clean??? :huh:

Just really cutting out processed stuff. Think different people see it differently, but the way I see it it's making meals from scratch with fresh ingredients, no added rubbish or chemicals. Plenty of fruit, veg, lean meats, healthy fats etc. I'm not strict about eating this way as I like to eat out sometimes and I do like chocolate a bit too much! But I try to eat like this the majority of the time. It's really helped as I used to get a lot of migraines and I now no longer suffer, which can only be down to diet and exercise x
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    So, girls, a "clean bulk" is a bulk with a relatively small surplus (usually 250 calories for women). It's not related to "eating clean," whatever that means. It's only meaningful in contrast with a "dirty bulk," where you go hog wild and eat everything. The term "clean bulk" doesn't have anything to do with food choices.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    So, girls, a "clean bulk" is a bulk with a relatively small surplus (usually 250 calories for women). It's not related to "eating clean," whatever that means. It's only meaningful in contrast with a "dirty bulk," where you go hog wild and eat everything. The term "clean bulk" doesn't have anything to do with food choices.

+1
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently bulking, but have gained weight in the past. No history of any eating disorder.
    We're already friends, so message me if you'd like to talk.
  • kirstens1984
    Options

ahh ok I misunderstood :) never heard of a clean vs dirty bulk... in this case I'm also on a clean bulk just trying to still eat healthily rather than stuffing my face with chocolate! (which I would love to do but it would no doubt undo all my hard work!)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    What is a clean bulk?

Hi there,

Kirsten xx

Just really cutting out processed stuff. Think different people see it differently, but the way I see it it's making meals from scratch with fresh ingredients, no added rubbish or chemicals. Plenty of fruit, veg, lean meats, healthy fats etc. I'm not strict about eating this way as I like to eat out sometimes and I do like chocolate a bit too much! But I try to eat like this the majority of the time. It's really helped as I used to get a lot of migraines and I now no longer suffer, which can only be down to diet and exercise x

yea, that is not a clean bulk.

A clean bulk means eating in a small surplus to limit fat gain.

good luck trying to get into a surplus on a diet of 100% "clean" foods….

as long as your micronutrient needs are met there is nothing wrong with eating ice cream, pizza, bagels, etc.

the reason that OP can't get into a surplus and can't gain weight is probably because she is trying to eat "clean"...
  • ndj1979
    Options

ahh ok I misunderstood :) never heard of a clean vs dirty bulk... in this case I'm also on a clean bulk just trying to still eat healthily rather than stuffing my face with chocolate! (which I would love to do but it would no doubt undo all my hard work!)

you are trying to gain weight, so how would eating chocolate undo anything????

and no, I am not advocating a diet of 100% chocolate.
  • kirstens1984
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    What is a clean bulk?

Hi there,

Kirsten xx

as long as your micronutrient needs are met there is nothing wrong with eating ice cream, pizza, bagels, etc.

the reason that OP can't get into a surplus and can't gain weight is probably because she is trying to eat "clean"...

I'm not the OP - I've commented above that I misunderstood the OP's meaning as I've not heard of a clean vs dirty bulk before. I can't understand what's wrong with eating unprocessed healthy food most of the time though - whether I would gain surely depends on how much of it I eat (which can be quite a lot)! And I do enjoy the odd ice cream, pizza, chocolate bar etc too occasionally, I just try to eat healthily overall on a day to day basis and in the meals that I cook so that I get a good amount of nutrient rich food. Anyway, apologies if I misunderstood, and good luck to everyone in meeting their goals.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    What is a clean bulk?

Hi there,

Kirsten xx

I'm not the OP - I've commented above that I misunderstood the OP's meaning as I've not heard of a clean vs dirty bulk before. I can't understand what's wrong with eating unprocessed healthy food most of the time though - whether I would gain surely depends on how much of it I eat (which can be quite a lot)! And I do enjoy the odd ice cream, pizza, chocolate bar etc too occasionally, I just try to eat healthily overall on a day to day basis and in the meals that I cook so that I get a good amount of nutrient rich food. Anyway, apologies if I misunderstood, and good luck to everyone in meeting their goals.

why is processed food automatically "unhealthy"….and what are you defining as processed?

when bulking calories are king, and source does not matter as long as one is getting adequate micronutrient needs and hitting macros.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    What is a clean bulk?

Hi there,

Kirsten xx

Everything is made of chemicals...
  • kirstens1984
    Options
    What is a clean bulk?

Hi there,

Kirsten xx

why is processed food automatically "unhealthy"….and what are you defining as processed?

when bulking calories are king, and source does not matter as long as one is getting adequate micronutrient needs and hitting macros.

I'm not saying all processed food is automatically bad (it's not), just that things such as fruits, veggies, eggs, nuts, lean meat etc are good for you. Myself, I'm only looking to gain a few pounds, so I'm just eating more of what I usually do. I only avoid certain foods (e.g. those containing aspartame as I get migraines which can be triggered by this) but otherwise I eat what I fancy, but within this I just try to eat plenty of good stuff as opposed to filling up on crisps, fast food etc. That's not to say I don't allow myself a treat here and there though. Surely micronutrient needs are better met through eating plenty of fruit, veggies etc than filling up on just anything?? 100 calories from an apple are surely better for you than 100 calories from junk food?!

Wasn't trying to start a debate anyway, just wanted to offer support to the OP :)
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Kirsten - ignore ndj's tone. Although his content is sound his delivery is about as helpful as watching that market guy, Jim Cramer. Drama apparently is 'in'

• kirstens1984
    Options
    Kirsten - ignore ndj's tone. Although his content is sound his delivery is about as helpful as watching that market guy, Jim Cramer. Drama apparently is 'in'

Haha! :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

so asking for a definition of processed food = drama?

Ok, and your great contribution to this thread, besides stirring the pot, is...?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    What is a clean bulk?

Hi there,

Kirsten xx

I'm not saying all processed food is automatically bad (it's not), just that things such as fruits, veggies, eggs, nuts, lean meat etc are good for you. Myself, I'm only looking to gain a few pounds, so I'm just eating more of what I usually do. I only avoid certain foods (e.g. those containing aspartame as I get migraines which can be triggered by this) but otherwise I eat what I fancy, but within this I just try to eat plenty of good stuff as opposed to filling up on crisps, fast food etc. That's not to say I don't allow myself a treat here and there though. Surely micronutrient needs are better met through eating plenty of fruit, veggies etc than filling up on just anything?? 100 calories from an apple are surely better for you than 100 calories from junk food?!

Wasn't trying to start a debate anyway, just wanted to offer support to the OP :)

you labeled unprocessed food as "healthy", so the corresponding implication is that processed food is "unhealthy".

No one individual foods is unhealthy or healthy in the context of an overall diet that hits micronutrient needs.

If I have hit my micronutrient needs and then fill in the rest of my day with crisps and ice cream, does that make my day unhealthy?

Also, 100 calories of applies = 100 calories of Oreos; however, they are not the same from a nutritional standpoint.

If you want to have a debate about clean foods, junk foods, etc, then please take that to the main forums, as I am sure the folds in the general weight loss section will love to agree with you. We try to keep this forum free of stuff like that.
  • kirstens1984
    Options
    What is a clean bulk?

Hi there,

Kirsten xx

you labeled unprocessed food as "healthy", so the corresponding implication is that processed food is "unhealthy".

No one individual foods is unhealthy or healthy in the context of an overall diet that hits micronutrient needs.

If I have hit my micronutrient needs and then fill in the rest of my day with crisps and ice cream, does that make my day unhealthy?

Also, 100 calories of applies = 100 calories of Oreos; however, they are not the same from a nutritional standpoint.

If you want to have a debate about clean foods, junk foods, etc, then please take that to the main forums, as I am sure the folds in the general weight loss section will love to agree with you. We try to keep this forum free of stuff like that.

Clearly I have rattled your cage, however unintentionally. We can both eat what we enjoy eating, I have no problem with that. As you point out a calorie is a calorie (I agree), I just choose to fill mine with foods I consider healthy. I will put on the weight if I eat a calorie surplus, however I choose to make that up. Anyhow, I'm off to buy some Oreos ;-) haha!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Misunderstanding the phrase "clean bulk" is really common -- all the "clean eaters" sort of co-opted the term. There's absolutely no problem with basing your diet on chicken/broccoli/whatever, then filling in the rest with Oreos and things that taste good, because everything else on a bulk is secondary to you hitting your calories. Virtually everyone here who bulks successfully takes that approach, so you're not alone in that.

The problem comes in when people say things like "I don't want to gain fat, so I'm only going to eat chicken and broccoli." (I'm exaggerating, btw -- I know that nobody in this thread said exactly that). Your body doesn't partition out the chicken and broccoli calories to make muscle, and the Oreo calories to make fat. Once you've met your macro and micro needs, you don't get extra credit for eating extra broccoli, you just get sick of broccoli that much more quickly.

Also, keep in mind that purposefully over-eating for a long period of time can get really boring. Some people don't think so, but I absolutely got sick of food on my last bulk. If my only options are to eat more chicken and broccoli, there are lots of days when I literally won't be able to force myself to eat another bite. Do that for long enough, and you won't make any gainz. Highly palatable, low-volume foods (like Oreos) make it possible for lots of people to continue to bulk in the long term -- they're a tool in your toolbox, and I highly recommend you use them.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    What is a clean bulk?

Hi there,

Kirsten xx

Clearly I have rattled your cage, however unintentionally. We can both eat what we enjoy eating, I have no problem with that. As you point out a calorie is a calorie (I agree), I just choose to fill mine with foods I consider healthy. I will put on the weight if I eat a calorie surplus, however I choose to make that up. Anyhow, I'm off to buy some Oreos ;-) haha!

nope, we just try to keep this forum clear of the clean eating and processed foods is evil garbage, that is all.
  • kirstens1984
    Options
    What is a clean bulk?

Hi there,

Kirsten xx

nope, we just try to keep this forum clear of the clean eating and processed foods is evil garbage, that is all.

Wow you do love a bit of drama! Never once said processed food is evil btw. I'm sure I mentioned I do indulge in it myself as part of a varied diet. And I'm more than welcome in the gaining weight forum since that is what I'm aiming to do. Anyway I'm off for now, got a holiday to pack for! :) have fun!