Does anyone else use extra virgin natural coconut oil?

Options
2»

Replies

• coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    First, while researching, ive read how healthy coconut oil is and all its benefits etc, then Dr Sam Shay advised me to take 1 tsp of coco oil every hour but I didn't feel comfortable with that as my cholesterol is high and I'm at risk for heart disease. Then I see my GP who gives me a pamphlet that says "coco oil is a saturated fat and like any other fat should be eaten in moderation. Then I watch a documentary that says sugar is the new fat. What the heck am I supposed to believe?!

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Eat everything in moderation, eat less calories than you burn and move more. That's all you need to know. There is no magic pill, no super food that is a cure-all for everything.

I love coconut oil, (possibly have some emotional attachment to it lol) but it certainly isn't some miricle that will cure everything or magically cause sudden weight loss. It is a fat, probably a healthier fat than some, but still has the same calories. 1tsp every hour, that would be, let's be conservative, about 8 tsp a day? That's a lot of extra calories. One teaspoon or even tablespoon a day, sure, but that's as far as I would take it for consumption.

Now, I dump the stuff in my hair and on my skin. LOVE it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    There's no such thing as extra virgin coconut oil.

It just means there are no additives. It's made by Spectrum Naturals and they sale it at Kroger in the food section. All natural, organic, extra virgin coconut oil. There was another brand there too that sold it but Spectrum was the least expensive, so that's the one I went with.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil exists. So does Virgin Olive Oil.

But in the Coconut Oil world, there is no such thing as Extra Virgin. My point was that any label claiming such is factually incorrect.

Virgin Coconut Oil is the highest you are going to get.

To my surprise, it appears that you are correct:

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/what_is_virgin_coconut_oil.htm

...There is no industry standard definition for "virgin coconut oil" as there is in the olive oil industry for "virgin" and "extra virgin" olive oil. Today, there are many coconut oils on the market that are labeled as "virgin coconut oil," or "extra virgin coconut oil." Tropical Traditions was the first company to publish standards for the use of "virgin coconut oil" in terms of edible oils 13 years ago.

Today, however, there are many processes used to produce "virgin coconut oil," and no recognized worldwide body that regulates the term or use. There is also no official classification or difference between "virgin coconut oil" and "extra virgin coconut oil" as there is in the olive oil industry, since the two oils are completely different in fatty acid composition, harvesting procedures, and terminology. So when you see the term "extra virgin coconut oil," it is simply a marketing term, and no different from "virgin coconut oil." We will only use the term "virgin coconut oil" throughout this document. This is also the common term used in the peer-reviewed literature.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Spectrum coconut oil I've used, mainly for use with eggs or searing Salmon or another piece of fish. I read where it is used in your hair after being in the pool. And I am rarely surprised by sixxpoint's posts related to food.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    I've been adding it to my tea in the mornings (just a very small amount) to boost my metabolism and get me some good fat plus a little extra calories). How's it going for you?

Again to my surprise, I am seeing search results that do indicate an influence on metabolism. Some of these studies were on rats and I haven't looked at any of them as I am off to do some yoga before work. And yes, I noticed that this site is by people who are selling a book.

http://coconutoil.com/peer_reviewed/
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I've been adding it to my tea in the mornings (just a very small amount) to boost my metabolism and get me some good fat plus a little extra calories). How's it going for you?

I now am up to adding 5 tablespoons to my first cup of coffee each morning.

A 600 calorie coffee to start your day, sweet!
  • JollyHodgers87
    JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    coco_bee wrote: »
    First, while researching, ive read how healthy coconut oil is and all its benefits etc, then Dr Sam Shay advised me to take 1 tsp of coco oil every hour but I didn't feel comfortable with that as my cholesterol is high and I'm at risk for heart disease. Then I see my GP who gives me a pamphlet that says "coco oil is a saturated fat and like any other fat should be eaten in moderation. Then I watch a documentary that says sugar is the new fat. What the heck am I supposed to believe?!

I can only emagine how much that would make me puke! That doesn't sound healthy at all. Shounds like a quack to be honest! I know what you mean. Different advice out there everywhere. I always look for scientific proof on these things. But don't let it frustrate you. Sounds like you are trying so I commend you. Lots of people don't even get that far. They just give up when something doesn't work. Get it girl!
  • JollyHodgers87
    JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've backed off of it and am not having it as much. I just lost two pounds. Moderation my friends. Best of luck everyone!
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I use to use it but switched to grapeseed oil. It has a higher searing point. It also taste better in salads vs olive oil I think.
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    OMG, I just lol'd at some of these responses.... Especially the cat bum one... Anyway. I blend my coffee every morning with coconut oil... Eating FAT surpasses my appetite, via fish oil, coconut oil, evening primrose, etc.... I recommend, keep it up!
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »

Probably still better than Starbuck's lol
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »

I also now add 2 oz of Heavy Whipping Cream (36% butterfat) to make my first cup of the day 800 calories.

After trying different brands now at Krogers I get the Vegan Simple Truth Organic Virgin Coconut Oil Unrefined Cold Press. It has a Orange band on the label with Vegan printed in the orange band. It taste and smell like coconut meat to me which I love. I also eat about a cup of coconut flakes a day for fiber.

Since coconut oil seems to kill bacteria, viruses and fungi one may want to taper up from ONE TEASPOON or live with the 'die off' for a week or two. I do not know which is best because I did not taper up myself.

I do 'expect' coconut oil played a role in curing my 40 years of IBS in the first 6 months of very LCHF.

I do not think coconut oil is magic. I do not understand how I can lose weight eating 2600 calories a day or maintain on 3000 when some people are eating half that amount to lose weight. I am 64 at 200 pounds very crippled up with Ankylosing Spondylitis.

By the way I did not know about very LCHF eating but was only trying to manage my pain by diet alone. It cut my pain levels in the first 30 days of living in a state of nutritional ketosis. I was on coconut oil the two months prior but not in ketosis because I had not broken my carb addiction and did not notice a reduction in pain but it may have been good for my gut health. MCT oil just did not work because it cause stomach pain in my case. Never tried it after the first bottle was gone.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    I use to use it but switched to grapeseed oil. It has a higher searing point. It also taste better in salads vs olive oil I think.

Check out the Omega 6 content or some other factor? I got one bottle and wound up feeding it to the dog because I did not want to risk my health after I did some research.
  • LopezMona
    LopezMona Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I use it in my hair, as a daily moisturizer, on my face it's a natural SPF I put it in smoothies, I make lip balm with it, add it to my home made body exfoliant(makes you want to eat yourself), I bake and cook with it. Ever have a sweet tooth fry ripe plantains in coconut oil sprinkle coconut sugar or drizzle agave then dust on some cinnamon and it's delicious.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've backed off of it and am not having it as much. I just lost two pounds. Moderation my friends. Best of luck everyone!

Well done!
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Coconut or MCT oil is just too strong/nauseating to enjoy as a food. I'm really digging into coconut milk as the alternative; it has a creamy-whole milk like texture to it...most importantly, it tastes more like a real food
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    Coconut or MCT oil is just too strong/nauseating to enjoy as a food. I'm really digging into coconut milk as the alternative; it has a creamy-whole milk like texture to it...most importantly, it tastes more like a real food

Yes, I love curries with coconut milk/cream, but I can not tolerate the nauseating smell of coconut oil, so there is no way I would put it in coffee or drink it straight or use it cosmetically.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is a great medium chain triglyceride source

Marketing companies make outlandish claims about it though

I use it often and it is awesome on your skin, and it is good in bold coffee to take out the acid bite.

I don't think it does a thing for metabolism. Nothing. Marketing hype.

But it is great in steel cut oatmeal!