Anyone done Couch to 5K?

Options
2»

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    First day of Couch to 5K! Feeling pretty good about it. I mean, the hardest part is starting right?!

I just need to get out of my head and stick to it. I can do this!

Side note: All tips are greatly appreciated :)

I'm just over half way on the couch to 10k - so I've just done the couch to 5k.

I couldn't run comfortably for one minute when I started, now I am on week 9 of the program and tomorrow will be doing 45 minutes of running in the session.

My tip would be find a friend to do it with you if you can (or even a friend on your MFP friends list).

Just do it, it really eases you into running.

Good luck.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck on W2D3! its 4*2 minute runs, I can do the first 2 but my legs just don't want to go on the 3rd and 4th I guess I'll just keep trying until I can do it!

be strong!

9df4d08c23bf6dad9593b5a81459b9ce.jpg

• JWhiteaker85
    JWhiteaker85 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ready for w2d1 now..
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    If you start getting bored with it in the future, update you playlist with new songs. That always gets me going again. Take time in between running days for rest and fuel your body properly. Run SLOW, walk fast and they will slowly merge into each other. Don't be unmotivated if you aren't keeping up with the program week by week. If you have to repeat a week, do it! Walking on an incline, too, helped me really strengthen my legs. When I started I couldn't even run for a minute, now I'm going about 15 minutes.
  • sofryj
    sofryj Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    On your run/jog intervals, run as slow as you can. Seriously. You're learning pacing.

This..... Don't worry about speed.....that comes later. Right now you're building endurance. Pacing yourself and you can ensure no failed runs. By the end, you'll be running faster than you expect.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Did couch2 10k - same idea. Worked fantastic - just make sure to go sloooooooow.
  • endlessenigma
    endlessenigma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations to all that have already done it and/or are in the progress of doing it. We've got this!

Thank you again all for all the great advice. I just started the second week and I am feeling great! I am using all of my willpower not to skip ahead because I am trying to trust the program.

A couple of things that I learned from the first week is that I need better shoes and need to work on my form (my poor shins). I am also already noticing a big improvement in my endurance! On a rest day I was walking around and I got an urge to just jog a tiny little bit...I jogged half a mile without stopping. That is huge for me! Now I know that a rest day is a rest day...which brings me to a new question! What are some ways to stay active on the rest days that will not interfere with the recovery process? I have been walking about 5 miles a day and feel great, but I don't know if I could be doing more harm than good :neutral:
  • endlessenigma
    endlessenigma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh and thank you @goldthistime for recommending the group. Just joined :)
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    About 2yrs ago I picked up C25K for the second time, and started in Week 2. Finished the program, kept running. Found parkrun, ran a lot. 12months after starting I did a HM, and then 2 weeks ago I made a (stupid) leap into a 12hr event and ran 85.3km.
    Trust in the program, run slower, take your rest days, run slower again... oh and still run slower. Build gradually once you finish :)
    Oh and enjoy the group, I still jump in now and then, usually repeating part of the mantra above lol.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm in W5. Did D2 yesterday, which had 2 8-min running intervals. It jumps to a 20-min running interval in D3, which is tomorrow for me. I'm looking forward to it, but will admit I'm nervous, as that's a big jump for me.

Kudos to all who have either completed it or are in the process!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I am doing a similar one 5K runner, great programme, halfway through week 3 now, who would have thought I would take up running?
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I found these podcasts helpful:

nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

The mp3 files will talk you through each run.

I repeated some runs and wasnt able to finish week 7, so I dropped back to the start of week 6 and changed my running route.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I did Couch to 5K, to 10K, to half-marathon, and well, you get the idea. ;) Currently training for a full marathon now, with my longest training run to-date being 17 miles two weeks ago. When I started C25K, I couldn't run for 30 seconds at a time!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This past winter I took a similar program, Learn to Run offered by our local RunningRoom store. I did not run before the class. I do now. Haven't looked back.
  • twinjamom6
    twinjamom6 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    I did Couch to 5K, to 10K, to half-marathon, and well, you get the idea. ;) Currently training for a full marathon now, with my longest training run to-date being 17 miles two weeks ago. When I started C25K, I couldn't run for 30 seconds at a time!

Hi loratliff, I will ask you a question about c25k since you said you completed it. I downloaded the app, as I am interested in doing a 5k sometime soon. I don't have a treadmill and the road I live on isn't exactly safe for running or walking on because people drive down it at crazy 80+mph speeds. I have a fairly large yard and my house is a converted school building, and the basement is still the "cafeteria / gym". Would that work for this? I am thinking I could use the yard while the weather is still nicer and then move to the basement when it's cold and the weather is inclimate? I don't see any reason it wouldn't work, but I also don't know much about this. Thanks.