How thick is your skin?

Options

Replies

• suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    Oddly I get more offended by what people say to others than what they say to me.

Yep, me too. Especially when it's obvious that someone was offended or even hurt by the comment but instead of backing off the offender just lays it on harder. What enjoyment comes from that?

anonymity I think.

I get why they feel comfortable doing it. But I don't think that explains the mental process behind taking pleasure in it.

Some people are just plain mean spirited and they can get away with being nasty online

• suziecue20
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It's the internet....I don't care what people on the internet say.... Skin toughness level - KRYPTONITE.

I always thought KRYPTONITE made Superman go weak at the knees lol

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It's the internet....I don't care what people on the internet say.... Skin toughness level - KRYPTONITE.

Screw Superman... I'm a Spiderman fan.

You see, I am the Krytonite in this instance.... lol.
  • Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Pretty thick skinned. My feeling is that if you post something, the next line of business is getting other points of view. If you don't want to hear it, don't post.
  • suziecue20
    Options

Screw Superman... I'm a Spiderman fan.

You see, I am the Krytonite in this instance.... lol.

hahaha!!

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    in forums, I don't care.
    irl, I care more but still have become versed in the F off
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    On the internet, i'm pretty thick skinned. These are random strangers, who don't know "me", so I don't really care what they say to me. I appreciate all advice given to me on here, and will reflect on negative advice to determine value, but negative words don't really bother me.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    So thin you can only see it under a microscope. I don't get offended per se, but I take any disagreements really personally and I find confrontational replies extremely anxiety provoking.

About 9 out of every 10 posts I type is deleted before it gets posted, because if I think there's any chance I haven't been clear or thorough enough, I won't risk having someone picking a misunderstood premise or fuzzy detail to argue about.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I am Batfink.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. If I'm hangry, I might be more likely to rage. If I've been fed recently, preferably pizza, I'm probably a bit better equipped to deal. So far these forums don't seem too bitchy though.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    I am open to criticism because I deserve it. My lifestyle up to this point has led me to being more than 100lbs overweight, and it's now my responsibility to fix that. Criticism of my previous lifestyle is fuel for change.
  • suziecue20
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    Depends on the day. If I'm hangry, I might be more likely to rage. If I've been fed recently, preferably pizza, I'm probably a bit better equipped to deal. So far these forums don't seem too bitchy though.

Love it :)

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Hey it's Friday. Hooray!
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    About 9 out of every 10 posts I type is deleted before it gets posted, because if I think there's any chance I haven't been clear or thorough enough, I won't risk having someone picking a misunderstood premise or fuzzy detail to argue about.

MEEE TOOO!! I spend a lot of time typing everything out and then up just deleting it and never posting it.

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Pretty thick. Truly can't worry--the times I've been attacked online the confrontational part of me has gone YES! because I kind of like engaging.

Not so in real life--I'll still engage, but I'll be upset the rest of the day.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm open to criticism. I'm too shy to start my own threads though. Luckily I've filled my friends list with great knowledgeable members so I tend to get my questions answered on my personal page. Or I you know...google.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Oddly I get more offended by what people say to others than what they say to me.

Yep, me too. Especially when it's obvious that someone was offended or even hurt by the comment but instead of backing off the offender just lays it on harder. What enjoyment comes from that?

anonymity I think.

I get why they feel comfortable doing it. But I don't think that explains the mental process behind taking pleasure in it.

+1 @mommyrunning

And I think the process behind taking pleasure in it probably has to do with how a person handles or doesn't handle their own perceived shortcomings. Maybe they are really "talking to themselves" out of anger, frustration or disappointment, in a past or present type of way?

Personally, I don't buy into the excuses like, "it's just the truth!" or "I call it how I see it!" or "I'm helping with brutal honesty." Truth and honesty does not mean it's time to remove every filter of polite society, whether it is in person or in text. I have read plenty of replies that get a message across with kindness. It is self-serving to be hurtful or ridiculing of others, stranger or not.

• chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    kducky22 wrote: »

MEEE TOOO!! I spend a lot of time typing everything out and then up just deleting it and never posting it.

Same here! Things gets so twisted by people sometimes and that annoys me. I'm not really thin skinned though. It's the internet. It's expected.
  • ErinWard1986
    ErinWard1986 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm quite a sensitive soul so I don't take kindly to people being abrupt with me on forums for asking what seems like a 'dumb question' to them. I've noticed a lot of harsh responses to people - especially beginners for not knowing 'simple facts' and it's infuriating to read. There was a lady not so long ago posting for advice on how to deal with hunger on juice diets.. Instead of users posting friendly advice and trying to deter her from this type of diet, they attacked her and basically insinuated that she wasn't very intelligent. EVERY ONE has started from scratch at one point and I think with knowledge and muscle mass, in some people - comes arrogance. I don't think you should have to have a thick skin on a weight loss forum. This is a very personal and sometimes very emotional journey and it should be all about support, support, support.

Some people will be on diet plans that you personally think are ridiculous but it's not your place to shoot them down. Gently advise if they are asking for advice but there are a few 'regular' posters I see here that are quite rude in their approach to questions. Of course, this is the internet so we can't determine how a comment is being directed but .. no, I don't have a thick skin when it comes to weight loss. It's stressful and it's testing at times. And sometimes I want to belong to a community that 'GETS' that.

Right on!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    You'll never find a successful person who hasn't been criticized on time or another. It's part of the process. If someone on here doesn't know how to handle some truthful opinions, they either were pretty introverted or they were used to people telling them what they wanted to hear to appease them.
    What I notice is that people usually think it's a "personal" attack on them, when usually it's an objection to the approach they are taking to weight loss.
    I'm much more diplomatic about it because I do it daily in my profession, but some are pretty blunt. Could they word it better? Sure, but if their suggestion is on point, it should be considered whether you like the way they say it or not. That's an objective approach and not a subjective one.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png