Anyone can? I'm making unsweetened applasauce today.

Options
A friend with four apple trees told us to come help ourselves, so I'm making a whole lot of unsweetened applesauce. I'm guesstimating it'll be about 40 or so quarts by the time I'm done and it'll take me all week to do it.

My kids love me. Homemade is so much better then store bought.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I made it once and ended up having to eat the whole thing myself. My kids must be aliens.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I made it once and ended up having to eat the whole thing myself. My kids must be aliens.

My 9 year old twins suck it down like their lives depended on it! They are fruit lovers. I also use it to bake, often replacing half the oil/butter content in baked goods with applesauce. We go through it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's delicious. I should make some.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    Technically right now my eleven year old is making applesauce. He loves to run the victorio strainer. Odd kid also loves to run the cherry pitter when the cherries come on too.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    Looks like I'll do about 14 quarts when the day is done. It's going to be a long week.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    This month is when I usually fill the cupboards with jars, so I completely know how you feel :) So far I have several types of jam (I think 7) and lots of tomato sauce. No apples yet, it is too early for them here, next month.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I haven't canned much in the past couple of years. We don't eat enough jam to make it worth the effort. I do love homemade applesauce though. I use a chinois to make it like my grandma did and love that texture. I may need to get some apples and make a few quarts.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    This month is when I usually fill the cupboards with jars, so I completely know how you feel :) So far I have several types of jam (I think 7) and lots of tomato sauce. No apples yet, it is too early for them here, next month.

We have a grape vine and in a month, I'll be doing grape jelly, my kids will suck that down like there's no tomorrow. :)

I can never get enough tomatoes grown to do sauce, but we've been eating fresh for 3 solid weeks and it's been just lovely.

• quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    I haven't canned much in the past couple of years. We don't eat enough jam to make it worth the effort. I do love homemade applesauce though. I use a chinois to make it like my grandma did and love that texture. I may need to get some apples and make a few quarts.

I'll have to look up chinois. :)

It's ridiculous how much jam we go through here.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I used to can all the time. Actually ended up in the local newspaper for being a young lady who cans. But, with a toddler, there's barely regular cooking going on. I can't wait to make applesauce with my mini. I love using honeycrisp apples for it. It really doesn't need anything added.

Someone mentioned grapes. I did grape juice several years ago after I got a great deal on fifty lbs of concord grapes. Heavenly!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    I used to can all the time. Actually ended up in the local newspaper for being a young lady who cans. But, with a toddler, there's barely regular cooking going on. I can't wait to make applesauce with my mini. I love using honeycrisp apples for it. It really doesn't need anything added.

Someone mentioned grapes. I did grape juice several years ago after I got a great deal on fifty lbs of concord grapes. Heavenly!

Canning with littles is tough. I've done it but I'm sure happy they're old enough to help now.

Home canned grape juice is the most incredible tasting stuff.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

We go through about 50 - 70 jars of jam per year, so more than one jar per week. I think our record was close to 100 two years ago. For breakfast on toasted bread, added in plain yoghurt as a snack, not to mention baking with jam. If it was up to him, one of my kids would spread jam on his steak...
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Apple sauce freezes very well, so it is great to have extra for deserts. I like to mix it with plain Fage yogurt to make it more palatable and to add protein to the apples. I make apple sauce during the winter months with any kind of apples available, specially on sale. I core them and cut them but I don't peel them and I only add 1 tps of vanilla extract. The immersible blender comes very handy too. The apple sauce is also good to serve with pork chops.
  • sappy42
    sappy42 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Man, I can't wait to go apple picking with my kids. My DS8 loves to help peel/core the apples, he eats the peel as it come off. I use the sweetest apples so I don't have to add sugar. I love that he loves it!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

We go through about 50 - 70 jars of jam per year, so more than one jar per week. I think our record was close to 100 two years ago. For breakfast on toasted bread, added in plain yoghurt as a snack, not to mention baking with jam. If it was up to him, one of my kids would spread jam on his steak...

Your house sounds like my house. It's insane! lol

• quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    sappy42 wrote: »
    Man, I can't wait to go apple picking with my kids. My DS8 loves to help peel/core the apples, he eats the peel as it come off. I use the sweetest apples so I don't have to add sugar. I love that he loves it!

When we use the apple slicer/peeler/corer, my kids love to just eat the peel too.

• quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Apple sauce freezes very well, so it is great to have extra for deserts. I like to mix it with plain Fage yogurt to make it more palatable and to add protein to the apples. I make apple sauce during the winter months with any kind of apples available, specially on sale. I core them and cut them but I don't peel them and I only add 1 tps of vanilla extract. The immersible blender comes very handy too. The apple sauce is also good to serve with pork chops.

It is very versatile. Vanilla sounds like a lovely addition. I usually do cinnamon and sometime currant apple sauce, but we have a red currant bush.

We don't have the freezer space, so canning it is.

• tamiandtoto
    tamiandtoto Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You should try canning homemade apple butter also. My kids love it. We eat it on waffles, toast and peanut butter sandwiches (to name a few). Its super easy to make in the crockpot--I let mine cook overnight then process in the morning. Your house will smell absolutely divine :)!
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Mash the juice out of them add sugar and wine yeast and make some wine. I cook with my homemade wine or give it away. It's just fun making it.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

It is very versatile. Vanilla sounds like a lovely addition. I usually do cinnamon and sometime currant apple sauce, but we have a red currant bush.

We don't have the freezer space, so canning it is.

What do you add to the canned apple sauce so they last longer? I am afraid that they will turn bad very soon if I don't keep them in the fridge or the freezer.
    I have also added fresh apricots to the apples while cooking if I prepare the sauce at the end of the summer. It does give it a different and pleasant taste.